Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:44:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Thoughts on Godot engine?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Thoughts on Godot engine?  (Read 4146 times)
Chocky
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2017, 11:40:58 AM »

I just found the Godot engine today. Looks interesting. I've been using Game Maker for a while and it seems like it could be better.

Any opinions on it? What's bad about it.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »

Pros:
Free
Opensource

Cons:
GDscript
Small community

Depends:
Node based system

It's not really better or worse than Gamemaker. There are aspects I prefer in each engine, but I'm sure other people have different preferences. Honestly, like many others, I'm mostly waiting for the 3.0 update which looks to add a lot of enhancements, including C# support. The 3D isn't far along enough to recommend it over the likes Unity and Unreal, but it's fine for 2D right now. Again, the 3.0 update is supposedly going to improve its capabilities as a 3D engine.

Gamemaker is fine. I don't know if you'd gain anything by switching, but I also don't know you or how you work or what your problems with Gamemaker are.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:24:39 AM »

Under the "pros" column, you forgot to mention cross-platform. Godot is one of the very few engines that has native editor support for Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux. It also has a lot of different platforms that it can build for.

I often think of Godot as the game-engine equivalent of Blender. It isn't necessarily going to be as feature-rich as more commercial projects. But having an open-source engine out there is always nice. It's a solid fall-back in case something goes disastrous in the commercial space of middleware engines.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 10:18:53 AM »

I knew I was forgetting something. Sometimes your mind just lapses, even though it being cross-platform was the main reason I use it. Embarrassed

Chocky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »

The GDscript seems as easy as Game Maker Language to use. I think I could get some fast prototypes out with it!
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 11:33:08 PM »

GDSCript + nodes means it's very fast to prototype things in.

As for 3d, unless you want some EPIC graphics it's really nice. The only downside I have seen so far compared to Unity/Unreal is no decals.
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 04:07:55 AM »

Have toyed with it a bit and it is definitely a candidate for what engine to use next time I start up a new project. Actually 99 % sure Godot is what I will use.

GDScript seemed weird at first, and the idea of them making their own scripting language did not seem that promising. But now I think it integrates very well with the rest of the engine, and it must be a good thing that they have full control of how to evolve the language. No desire to switch even if there are languages I like more for programming in general, but domain-specific little languages like GDScript definitely have their advantages too, within their domains.

Have a feeling that the number of users is increasing quite rapidly? Maybe some kind of confirmation bias because I want the project to be successful? Was happy to see a new thread here anyway, maybe that is another good sign. Hoping for some exponential hype-increase if 3.0 delivers.
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 04:17:46 AM »

I started a similar thread asking about Godot when 2.0 was released in February 2016:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=54028.msg1225552#msg1225552

Some more comments there, but as always it mostly revolves around their choice to make their own scripting language, which (as I already said) turns out not to be anything to worry about.
Chocky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 06:37:27 AM »

It's cool to have something in between GM:S and Unity. I will have more of a fiddle this weekend and make my mind up with it. I also love that it's open source. Other engines need to step up.
Clipper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 05:34:15 AM »

I use Godot, and it's awesome. As was mentioned earlier, you'll probably want to *puts on bowling hat* wait for Godot 3.0 if you want good 3D, but for 2D it's great as it is.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 12:23:57 PM »

It's decent 3D. Not crazy feature-rich, but serviceable. Originally Godot had a bit of trouble importing some slightly more odd animations. But one of the updates a few months ago addressed this problem. At this point I would consider using Godot for making a 3D game.

To be fair, I'm still working in Unity, and don't intend to change that. But I also like Godot, and respect what they're doing with their open-source engine.
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 08:23:32 AM »

Have a feeling that the number of users is increasing quite rapidly? Maybe some kind of confirmation bias because I want the project to be successful? Was happy to see a new thread here anyway, maybe that is another good sign. Hoping for some exponential hype-increase if 3.0 delivers.

I don't know if they provide this kind of stats, anyway it seems that the interset in it is growing, which should indirectly imply that its userbase is growing.

Monolith of Minds
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 02:40:22 AM »

We're using Godot for our 2D pixel game for about 1.5 years now, mostly because we wanted a full open source dev-stack on Linux. So far we couldn't be happier with the choice Kiss

The node system is brilliant and once you get a hang of GDScript (which looks mostly like python) prototyping and building logic is fast and intuitive. Personally I prefer that over all C-like languages.

However, I cannot comment on the 3D stuff but I guess that will chance once 3.0 is out ... hopefully this fall Smiley
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 05:49:32 PM »

I want it to go in for the 3d, but last time I checked there wasn't robust documentation, I don't need all features anyway.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:00:41 PM by gimymblert » Logged

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 04:18:43 AM »

I have no plans on using it but I like where it's headed.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 06:28:15 PM »

+1 it sounds like a pretty great engine that I would give a look if I had the time. Kudos to the people behind it doing such a great job Smiley

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 01:58:35 PM »

I used Godot for a bit, but I'm the kind of person that likes to code low level stuff.

I do recommend the engine over any other 2D engine (with editor) available around.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 04:32:20 PM »

I'm a long time Unity user and I'm using Godot for my current project. I like Unity but for 2D games it's still not quite there yet and I suspect it never will. Godot has a native 2D renderer, and that's what made me want to try it. So far I'm finding the node system easier than I expected and it's quite interesting. The poor documentation and small community are the biggest problems so far. Any bug you encounter or questions you have about the engine are very hard to deal with.

I have no problems with its script language but I've seen this story before and I know how it ends. I learn how to code using the script, the user base says it's garbage, then they add support for c#, then they start dropping support for script, then my code needs to be rewritten. It happened in Unity and will happen in Godot. And I have no idea what I actually gained with the switch.

Anyway, I recommend trying Godot.

pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 03:20:54 AM »

Maybe a majority will use C# in Godot in the future, but hopefully they can co-exist with users of other languages. And if not a fork without C# will probably have enough users to thrive on its own, so I am not too worried.

This is one of the advantages of depending on an open source engine, that all hope is not lost just because the engine developers take the product in a direction you do not like. If your games are based on Unity and a new Unity version changes things in a way you don't like you play along or rewrite everything for some other engine.

A nice thing about Godot is that it has in my experience been very easy to build. I have not used the pre-built binaries except on Windows. I rarely do this with open source code, but I think a game engine is so important it is very nice to know that I am not 100% depending on upstream developers' whims.
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 06:04:58 PM »

I tried it for a bit. The biggest problem is easily its small presence.

Part of it is the way I learn. I like tutorials, examples, asking real people questions, etc. Godot just doesn't have that yet, and it's not compelling enough for me to switch from GameMaker

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic