Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:12:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRibbert's Adventure (2.5D)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ribbert's Adventure (2.5D)  (Read 7555 times)
diest
Level 1

@diest64

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »

What is this game?

You’re a frog. A cute frog.
Use your frog tongue to grapple, swing, attack, grab, and maneuver your way around a handcrafted world while meeting strange silly characters.
Ribbert’s Adventure is a 2D platformer that takes place in a 2.5D world. Game inspirations include Klonoa, Megaman Legends, Prinny, Wario, Kirby, Mario, and Yoshi.

Development

I started development in early 2016 without a clear vision of what I wanted to make. I was simply inspired by the development of Super Mario 64 in which Miyamoto stated that he wanted it to be fun just jumping around in an empty room. So I wanted to create a 2D platformer in the same vein. After a few weeks of development I released a prototype (which you can play here) and decided to continue working on the project. Fast foward a year later; After many revisions and lots of time wondering what I wanted from this game, I found the direction I want to take and began working towards a commercial release.

Tools
I'm developing it in GameMaker:Studio with Aseprite and Blender.

Music
The soundtrack will be made by the awesome Moose.
Atmos Beach
Atmos Forest

Old gifs

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:18:37 PM by diest » Logged

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:52:13 PM »

Sweet! Need more games like this I can play with my son  Grin
Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 07:54:51 PM »

Really cool stuff, love the look of everything. What made you decide to have the 3d elements in a 2d platformer, and how has your time been in Gamemaker implementing it?

P.S. thank your tutorials Smiley

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 12:52:20 AM »

Absolutely love this! How are you constructing the levels? I know the GM:S editor's support for 3D is minimal.

diest
Level 1

@diest64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 11:32:33 AM »

Sweet! Need more games like this I can play with my son  Grin

That's awesome to picture! Hand Joystick

Really cool stuff, love the look of everything. What made you decide to have the 3d elements in a 2d platformer, and how has your time been in Gamemaker implementing it?

P.S. thank your tutorials Smiley

I played Prinny:Can I Really Be The Hero? while working on Ribbert and really loved the 2D sprites in a 3D world. Since I knew GameMaker had some 3D functionality, I decided to try implementing a 3D world. It took a long time and was very frustrating (I went back to full 2D a few times) but I realized the 2.5D world is what I really wanted so I just kept at it and finally got everything working silky smooth like it does now. I wouldn't recommend anyone using GMS for a 2.5D platformer since it is very limiting (no idea how to do 3D animations so everything 3D is basically static, rotating/scaling is weird, building 3D levels is time consuming.)
P.S you're welcome  Wink

Absolutely love this! How are you constructing the levels? I know the GM:S editor's support for 3D is minimal.

Everything that the player can interact with is placed in the GM:S room editor like a regular 2D platformer, then when the game is running it simply displays 3D models instead. All the background/foreground stuff is hard coded into place. I want to eventually attempt making a 3D level builder but I'm putting that off until after the planned kickstarter.

diest
Level 1

@diest64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 10:14:37 AM »

Here is some progress on the new forest area I've been working on!

propapanda
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »

This looks great. Really liking the depth created by the multiple layers of plants scrolling in parallax!

The Webmaster Game: Website - Twitter - Devlog
diest
Level 1

@diest64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 11:49:14 AM »

did some chat box work

l0bster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 12:25:09 PM »

oh sweet, that got a devlog now Smiley
diest
Level 1

@diest64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 05:29:45 PM »

Some beach progress now

Al_B
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 05:54:50 PM »

Frogger goes to the NEXT Level! Big Laff Cheesy

All jokes aside, this looks very pro! I'm not a fan of platformers (as they are the BANE of my existence), but would def try it out!

absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 05:44:56 PM »

That PS1 era nostalgia though.
+follow  Well, hello there!

diest
Level 1

@diest64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 07:58:15 PM »

That PS1 era nostalgia though.
+follow  Well, hello there!

Thanks! And yes! I've been playing lots of PS1 games and decided I wanted to go for that feel. I think its about time indies starting going for this don't you think?

Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 11:48:02 PM »

Neat! Following this one.

diest
Level 1

@diest64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 03:16:06 PM »

Here are two new enemies

Here is the basic enemy. This cute crab just walks left/right and tries to scare you Smiley

This guy tries to run you down as soon as you're in range

alaNintendo
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »

Love it!! This is going to be fun, I can tell  Cheesy
tanner bananer
Level 1

aspiring train conductor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 09:53:09 PM »

this looks so cute and nice!

diest
Level 1

@diest64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 05:47:05 PM »

Finally implemented enemies being able to hurt you.
I experimented with ways to juice it up. Right now there's the impact fx animation, Ribbert has a squishy effect on his sprite, screen shakes, and the game freezes for about 4 frames right when you're hit

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 07:47:13 PM »

Reminds me of Klonoa. Super cute game.

Also, I want to say the title kind of undersells your game. "Character's Thing" is a bit boring of a naming trope.

Just my two cents. Boring title, super cute and likely fun game. Following!  Coffee
diest
Level 1

@diest64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »

Reminds me of Klonoa. Super cute game.

Also, I want to say the title kind of undersells your game. "Character's Thing" is a bit boring of a naming trope.

Just my two cents. Boring title, super cute and likely fun game. Following!  Coffee

Thanks! And yea I agree the name isn't the greatest but I believe its short, simple, and easy to remember. Also in the time I've been working on this I've yet to come up with a better name  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic