Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:07:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesign"Ability Contract" Idea
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Ability Contract" Idea  (Read 1288 times)
Antonio94
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2017, 01:30:17 AM »

So recently I'm working on a simple RPG project. And from it I suddenly think of a idea; however, I'm not sure it can be a good idea for a new RPG title so I would like to share here with you guys:
The idea is, each person has his/her own talent and ability. These ability can be natural born, or acquired from excessive training. And so I was thinking of a main character who has the ability to form a contract with another person. This contract is formed between his own mind and will, and the target's true person/desire hiding inside without the target's realization. This contract allow him to take an ability from the target of his choice, in return, he will give the target an ability which he has. If the contract is forged, the abilities will be swapped and it will remain so until the conditions are fulfilled.
Take an example in real life, for example you are talented in art, drawing. You're going to have a soccer competition tomorrow, you want to win it but you haven't practiced it yet. So, you choose a person who skilled in soccer and deep down, he didn't enjoy soccer but instead he wished to be able to draw art. And so you forge a contract with his inner desire, this contract will last until you win the soccer match tomorrow. And so for 1 day, you are incredibly good at soccer but you can't no longer draw, while your target can draw but he can't play soccer skillfully as he used to. When you win the soccer match, the contract is fulfilled and everything's back to normal.
It's kinda a bit complicated but that's what I suddenly thought. Can it be a good idea for a RPG?

wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:23:39 AM »

It doesn't sound like an RPG to me.  It sounds like it'd be more suited to a visual novel or some such.
andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 04:12:57 PM »

I think you could connect the concept to an RPG, but you'd have to be intentional about how it shapes the game's world and progression.  For example, if there's an area that you can only access with a certain ability and it requires a specific exchange to achieve that ability, that could lead to some interesting problem solving and exploration rewards.

In an RPG, once the player has built a character with strong attacks and abilities, what would be the motivation to swap them out?  Just thinking out loud, but maybe it would be more meaningful if abilities were permanently swapped?  Or maybe abilities are common and fade over time - so people in the game world are incentivized to swap them out on a regular basis.

I think the concept is interesting, but you'd need some good ideas about how the "swapping" mechanic would make the gameplay interesting. Good luck.  Coffee

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 02:23:45 PM »

A friend pitched to me an idea he said was inspired by the TV show Sense 8. It sounds a lot like what you described. While exploring a world where this sort of thing is be possible would be an interesting premise for a game it doesn't actually describe a game itself.

If we say that Pac Man upon eating a power pellet signs a contract with an exorcist for as long as the exorcist is at an all you can eat restaurant and suddenly the 1980's Pac Man is the game you are describing.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Antonio94
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 08:39:08 AM »

Hmm, after reading you guys' opinion, I start to think again. This idea is more appropriate for psychological/mystery/deduction game like Heavy Rain or Life is Strange. Somehow it felt much better since it can focus more on the story and it can use the swapping mechanic more flexible, not just limited to RPG mechanic.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic