Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:00:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKill the Superweapon - Low-Poly Diorama Action! [Out Now!]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Kill the Superweapon - Low-Poly Diorama Action! [Out Now!]  (Read 7378 times)
Ohmnivore
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 02:43:35 PM »

That's an awesome concept for a boss! I'm really digging the art style too.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 02:28:13 PM »

Thanks!

I've been working on some new levels:

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 02:16:32 PM »

This game is a lot of fun to make.

Unima9000
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 02:23:03 PM »

Wow, looks really good ,keep it up dude! I love the vibe and artstyle. How do you get this idea of that specific camera angle for action game?
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 03:10:25 PM »

Well, it came from a combination of two things.  

One was being interested in 3D games that don't give the player direct camera control, thus freeing up the second analog stick for other actions (for example God Hand using the second analog stick for dodging).  

The other was an interest in using 3D graphics less representationally, and more like game-pieces or miniatures, or pixel art.  Embracing, to a certain degree, the artificiality of the medium, as opposed to trying to make it look like something that it's not.  

From both of these thoughts came the idea of treating each room like a diorama that you're peeking in to to watch and control the action, and which would allow for both twin stick shooting (since the second analog stick is freed up) and jumping/3D movement.  Plus, I really like the sort of screen composition you can get with fixed/semi-fixed camera angles that allow you to see the whole room.  Allows the player to see and take in everything that they have to deal with all at once.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:28:53 PM by Alec S. » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 12:42:17 PM »

Screenshot Saturday

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »

really enjoying the perspective in a lot of these screens. personally i think walls coming towards the screen in the center of the room (like in your recent screenshot) looks too unnatural and blocks the field of view. i think that center portion of every level, visually, should be as open as possible. keep goin dude!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 01:37:24 PM »

Yeah, I've been kinda internally debating how to deal with rooms with this sort of shape (well, aside from avoiding making them, which I kinda do, but I liked the design of this room too much not to do it).  I might end up making those walls transparent, and hoping the borders of the level are still clear.

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »

yeah, bingo. a super low opacity might do the trick.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »

Made a new miniboss

As well as a new boss:

So, a bit on overall progress:

My goal for the game is to have an introductory level, 4 main levels (which can be completed in any order) and a final level.  I also want to have a few smaller optional missions (which would be around ~9-12 rooms as opposed to the main levels' ~20-25).

As of yesterday, I've got rough passes on 3 of the 4 main levels: Lizardman's Laboratory, The Roller Derby, and The Psychic's Dungeon.  That means I've got the intro level and the final level left, as well as any optional side-levels I want to make. 

I expect to have a rough pass of the whole game done by the end of next month.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 11:12:54 AM »

Making a level select screen

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2017, 12:01:47 PM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2017, 05:29:30 PM »

Trailer!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2017, 02:29:10 PM »

Gave the Superweapons a dialogue system.  Now they'll have dialogue for things like finding the player, losing track of the player, arriving in the room, and waking up from being stunned.  It gives the players valuable feedback about the current state of the Superweapon, and it gives the Superweapons more personality.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2017, 10:09:58 AM »

I just hit a a mini-milestone, in that I now have a rough pass of every level except for the final level and bonus levels.  There's still work to be done, but I'm pretty happy with where the game is so far, and I expect to have a rough pass of the whole game done by the end of the year.  This will give me a nice couple months to test, tweak and polish the game before it's release.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2017, 12:01:39 PM »

Working on the final level.  Naturally, since the villains of this game are a corporation, the final boss doesn't reside in a dark lair, but a brightly lit office building.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2018, 11:53:26 PM »

Unlocking Levels:

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 11:14:59 AM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2018, 05:15:31 PM »

Things are coming along.  The game is (I think) playable from start to finish now.  Today I was working on saving and loading.  Basically, my goal is to get the game to a more-or-less complete state by the end of the month, giving me a leisurely month to polish, test, and improve the game before launching in March.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2018, 04:05:32 PM »

I added a zoom feature to Kill the Superweapon.  I had kinda wanted to avoid doing that, as I wanted to keep everything in the full diorama perspective, but there are some bits where it will help with things like platforming and weaving through enemy projectiles.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic