Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1366236 Posts in 64017 Topics- by 55908 Members - Latest Member: Stano28

September 19, 2019, 03:57:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVR Chill Sim (VR Relaxation Game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: VR Chill Sim (VR Relaxation Game)  (Read 1642 times)
aperson4321
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2017, 07:34:30 AM »

I am working on a VR game for relaxation, The player is put in a flying train that flies itself through procedurally generated enviroments.

The game is going to be low in interaction and mainly focused on letting the player play their own music or internett radio ingame while enjoying the ride as a passanger. I really wanted to make a VR experience where I could just relax and just completely tune out without having to think about much at all, and just enjoy the immersion.

About me: I am computer engineering student that also does art and I am working on this project over the summer vacation.

Here is a GIF of the first prototype. Very Very early days.

Here are some concepts I made:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:08:32 AM by aperson4321 » Logged
RbdJellyfish
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 06:40:13 PM »

This sounds really interesting. Hope to hear more about it soon! Smiley

RofB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 07:27:28 AM »

Interesting concept.

The GIF you posted reminds me of the beautiful scene in Spirited Away, where the train glides across the water, creating a gentle swell where the train parts the sea/pond/river.

Is this going to be a musical experience, or more of a listen to the ambient background experience?

aperson4321
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 06:19:03 AM »

This sounds really interesting. Hope to hear more about it soon! Smiley

Thank you very much! Smiley sorry for the late reply, will keep on updating this devLog Smiley

Interesting concept.

The GIF you posted reminds me of the beautiful scene in Spirited Away, where the train glides across the water, creating a gentle swell where the train parts the sea/pond/river.

Is this going to be a musical experience, or more of a listen to the ambient background experience?

I am very much inspiered by that scene from Spirited Away, I dearly hope I can capture some of that magic in this VR experience!
For music I am planning on putting in a in game music player that lets the player play their own music or play internett radio, I am planning on having it be mainly a musical experience.

Thank you! Smiley

# Update:

I have added infinite procedural terrain that has its heightmap values generated with multithreading.

Youtube video showing current game state

(movement speeded up 16 times more than normal speed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYyP_WBNcA8&feature=youtu.be

Big 17 mb gif of current game
(movement speeded up 16 times more than normal speed)

i.i
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 09:37:50 AM »

beautiful! but it feels kind of spooky right now  Blink. Blink

aperson4321
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 05:02:13 AM »

beautiful! but it feels kind of spooky right now  Blink. Blink

Thank you! Smiley
You are right about it being a bit spooky, but its just one of several enviroments/scenes I want to put in it. The first one just ended up being a bit spooky, the shitty GIF quality does not help either.

#update:
I have worked more on the project, looks a bit better now, and I still don't know how to embed youtube videos. So here is a link to a new recording of the game on youtube.

https://youtu.be/Oglj_VcFt28?t=4s

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 05:07:38 AM by aperson4321 » Logged
TomFletcher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 05:24:23 AM »

I really like the idea, and the concept art looks nice, seems like a very good fit for vr.

aperson4321
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 05:29:26 AM »

I really like the idea, and the concept art looks nice, seems like a very good fit for vr.

Thank you Smiley

it's going to be pretty hard to get the visuals even close to the conceptart though, but the game in VR is already atleast a bit visually impressive.
aperson4321
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 03:47:29 AM »

I have made things look a bit better and I have added a music player from the unity asset store and linket it up to controller/keyboard buttons. Still alot more work left, but things is starting to take shape.

And another concept image of some caves, I need to read up more on shaders to make those though.

aperson4321
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 10:52:57 AM »

Now that I finally have summer vacation again I am getting back to development, here is a one of the pictures I made while trying to figure out how things could look in the game/experience.

aperson4321
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 07:05:09 AM »

I recorded a video of how it looks like now, I am going to add more terrain textures and scenery in the future.

I am done with the steam registration stuff so I can begin setting up my steam store page now.

The project is still not at the quality level its needs to be at and school is starting up again soon for me, but at least I managed to get it to this level so that is at least something.

Next I want to add more terrain textures, tweak the terrain, add more scenery, make a shitty weather system, make the sun move around, fix the music player so it imports external music at runtime (I have been reading up on how to do it and it seems ok to do).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 07:14:26 AM by aperson4321 » Logged
aperson4321
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 06:11:40 PM »

Another video, and this one should show off how the game looks like better than the last one.

The terrain is all procedural generated, it was a lot of work making it happen at a good steady framerate in vr and making it look good. There is a fine line between random boring mess and boring uninteresting perlin noise landscapes when it comes to procedural generation so I think the work I have done is not too bad. Shame I don't have the time to do the scenery well before school starts again, I will need to finish this project the next christmas/summer holiday sadly, I really was getting into it and boom the summer holiday is done, such a bother that.
aperson4321
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 07:07:32 AM »

I got ill for a while so could not work on my project for a while, but I am well now.

So I am trying to add 3d terrain now, so I can have caves and buildings be procedurally generated in the game. I feel that the current visuals I can make with unity3d's terrain is too limited and does not have the performance I want, so I am coding my own terrain now. It will be like minecrafts terrain except I will offset the corners of some of the blocks to give them a more organic look, so things like desert and earth should be curvy and not so blocky, this will hopefully let me generate huge ancient temples and so on! I am really looking forward to procedurally generating buildings like temples, castles, and brutalist architecture with green trees and plants on it!

here som pictures with textures added

I really hope I can get the performance good enough for vr because i really want to experience an endless train ride through ancient desert ruins in vr! The programming is difficult for me, but I think I will soon be able to implement infinite terrain with these minecraft style blocks so I can see if the performance will be were I need it to be without me needing to get really clever with fancy shaders and coding.

I have also been messing around with shaders and reading the excellent catlikecoding guide to them, I am unsure if I will be able to have fancy looking shaders in the game because of the performance needs of vr but still, I hope so   Smiley

I will try to have another update next week.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:29:48 AM by aperson4321 » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic