Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1318603 Posts in 59231 Topics- by 50322 Members - Latest Member: Lowbit

October 18, 2017, 07:32:16 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRaven's Path Dev Log (Free Tactical Action RPG for Android)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Raven's Path Dev Log (Free Tactical Action RPG for Android)  (Read 1947 times)
ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 14, 2017, 12:46:21 pm »

Hello Everyone! Tig source is now going to be the only place to find our full dev log as we are in the middle of changing website hosts.

Welcome to the Raven's Path Dev Log!

Here is what the Raven's Path looked like on 8/27/2017

The following gifs are older but explain game play well.

Raven's Path is a grid Based Tactical Action RPG. What does that mean?

It means Raven's Path is a lot like final fantasy tactics or ogre Battle or Disgea. Characters move, attack, and use their abilities on a grid. Here's the hook there are no turns at all. Melee Characters always attack in front of them. You just move them around in real time to protect them and make sure they are hitting the right targets like so.

Special Abilities like healing work in a similar way. The healer targets a space and when you move a unit into that space they are healed.

If enemies reach the bottom of the screen you lose lives. When you lose three lives you are defeated, and you don't get to keep any gold or items you gathered on the mission.

Those Are the Basics!

There is a ton of content in the game already. We have 40 units which are fully animated and in the game.

We have procedurally generated Weapons Armor and Rings which we are working on the artwork for.

We also have 9 types of buildings with 5 types of rarity for a total of 45 buildings

Here are some of the posts from our website Dev Log.

A couple of weeks ago we added a unit called the blade maiden. One of these blade maiden's was equipped with a weapon and is dealing extra damage.

This week we worked on a nice change of scene effect where you smash through objects and on the other side is a new scene.

Our artist Kzp also created an effect for the axeman's cleave ability which allows him to attack 3 spaces at once for less dmg.

Now I will outline some of the advanced mechanics that we can't show yet due to incomplete UI.

Every unit in Raven's Path Has 7 stats

Attack : how much damage they deal per hit ( also effects physical abilities)

Health : how much damage they can take before they die

Defense : how much damage is subtracted before health is taken

Attack Speed : how quickly the unit attacks ( also effects attack abilities)

Accuracy : this is the chance a unit has to actually land a hit each time it attacks

Critical Chance : this is the chance for a critical hit

Critical Damage : this is the amount of damage dealt when the unit gets a critical (attack damage is added underneath this)

Weapons can modify your Attack Damage Attack Speed Accuracy Crit Chance or Crit Damage

Armor Can modify your Defense Health Attack Speed Accuracy or Crit Chance

Rings are very special. A ring can be used to transplant a units ability on to another. So for example a knight with a ring that has a healing ability on it would give the knight that ability on top of what he already has.

Ok that's all for now. Please ask questions, make comments, we would love feedback! We are excited to get involved in the tig source community!

Feel free to follow us...

by email on our website http://www.evilvillaingames.com/
On facebook https://www.facebook.com/EvilVillainGames/
On Twitter https://twitter.com/EvilVillainGMES
On Slide DB http://www.slidedb.com/games/ravens-path

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:40:11 pm by ODINKONG » Logged

Raven's Path By Evil Villian Games
Dev Log : https://forums.tigsource.com/inde
Zaibach333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 01:41:10 pm »

Coming along nicely! I like how your design allows itself to be quite fast paced on mobile, excited to see where this goes!

ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 04:17:19 pm »

Thank you! The late game allows you to have an army size of 15 which is 3 full rows so things can become quite fast indeed. However we have a lot more to clean up before we get to show that off.

freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 12:39:38 am »

the sprites are in pixel art... their shadows aren't in pixel art. try to use the same style Wink

Supporter of

and

ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 09:05:14 am »

Nice catch freank. We have been talking about changing the look of those shadows for a while now, maybe its finally time. I suppose they do look pretty out of place don't they?

io3 creations
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 02:17:25 pm »

Who said that you to stay with one style?  If that was true, The Last Night would look very different and people may not be raving about it as much.

Of course, there'll always be those that like something and vice versa.  It's more a matter of your vision for the game and considering your target audience's opinion.  If you have a large enough following base, then you could ask them what they think.

Personally, I do like the shadows because those make the game look different from other pixel games.  The only issue I have is that the characters facing the "camera" seem to be hovering above their shadows. 

io3creations.com :: twitter  :: YouTube
Mr E Key [formerly Mr E Soup] devlog
ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 02:25:31 pm »

Very Very good point. Also Holy crap The Last Night is beautiful Thanks for sharing! Again very nice catch, the offset of the shadows of the enemies isn't quite right yet. Especially with shorter or longer characters like the pigs or the spear man. There are lots of visual fixes to be done before release for sure. We have made the decision to use some HD effects for instance we have large flashes that are created with a soft brush in Photoshop, but we want to make sure we stay in a style that we can enjoy, and our audience can enjoy. Does anyone else have opinions on the shadows? Should we change them to a hard style? or should we just make them thinner and keep them soft while making sure they are correctly lined up with the characters feet? Great feedback so far guys really thank you!

RossD20Studios
Level 0

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 06:19:50 pm »

All right, been waiting for this! Love the pixel art animations and VFX. Also like the real-time concept, preserving tactical gameplay but allowing for a smooth and fast pace. Still highly recommend an alteration to the title for better search engine visibility, even if it's just adding "Tactics". What about Raven's Road?

Founder of D20Studios and GameDevChats
Currently developing Summoners Fate, a top down turn based strategy adventure.
My TIGForum DevLog
ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 09:58:40 am »

Thank you Ross! There will be much more pixel art and VFX to come. Hmmm, we are pretty attached to the name. Also do your really think it will make a huge difference? we are link number 2 when you search Raven's path on google. I've read that as long as the other content with your name isn't the same medium and your still in the top 5 your all set for seo. Also if you search Raven's path game or android we are the first link. Seems like if we changed our name now it would be counter productive because of the re branding and the small fan base we have built thus far. I'm not sure though to be honest you have more experience with this sort of thing than I do. Is it really going to hurt us that much even if there are no other games called Raven's Path?

RossD20Studios
Level 0

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 07:45:34 am »

Thank you Ross! There will be much more pixel art and VFX to come. Hmmm, we are pretty attached to the name. Also do your really think it will make a huge difference? we are link number 2 when you search Raven's path on google. I've read that as long as the other content with your name isn't the same medium and your still in the top 5 your all set for seo. Also if you search Raven's path game or android we are the first link. Seems like if we changed our name now it would be counter productive because of the re branding and the small fan base we have built thus far. I'm not sure though to be honest you have more experience with this sort of thing than I do. Is it really going to hurt us that much even if there are no other games called Raven's Path?

I had a personal experience with regards to name for my first game, Hero Mages. The original title of that game was "Battle Mages" and I had used that title for over a year and a half prior to launch (while it was still a board game) and during pre-alpha testing with our players. Like you, I was in love with that title and very reluctant to change it. My issue was that there was another game title released several years prior with the same name (though they no longer shipped it and no longer held the domain, which I then owned). I was so attached to the name that I contacted several copyright/trademark lawyers - all of which gave me the same loose advice which boiled down to three choices: 1. I could go through an extensive legal process of trademarking the name, racking up a multi-thousand dollar bill to do so 2. I could keep the name and "hope for the best" or 3. (most recommended) I could change the name to something completely original and avoid any potential conflict. In the end, I chose to change the name and couldn't have been happier with the result: I now have a definitive brand that is original and comes up #1 on searches.

You are correct that there is some leeway on unique names per medium - but, let's suppose the best case scenario - which you should be considering giving the time you are investing into your game - that your game becomes a landmark success! Is it worth it for sake of name to have any potential legal loose-ends that could pose a threat to your product/branding? Also, more importantly, don't you want the best visibility of your title when they go to search for it? This was my main motivation in suggesting a name alteration. You're actually not #2 on Google, you're buried under some kind of spiritual website and the Raven's NFL team. You're probably seeing #2 on your personal browser because Google factors your personal web-history into the SE results. Try testing again on a browser you're not using and see if you can repro my results.

I think your die-hard fans would respect a name change (you could even engage them by polling their opinion on possible name alterations) and you're new-and-yet undiscovered fans would be more likely to find you Wink

Founder of D20Studios and GameDevChats
Currently developing Summoners Fate, a top down turn based strategy adventure.
My TIGForum DevLog
ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 01:22:48 pm »

Hmm several very good points Ross. I took your advice and tried using a browser I've never used before. Your right we were somewhat buried at number 8, but this was just searching Ravens Path. When using game at the end a game with the Ravens NfL comes up then our mod DB page 2nd. When searching with android at the end it's 1st. However I see your point now. I knew googles searches were personal, but I didn't realize how personal it was. We have done some legal research on the name, and it is open. However your right I see how it could be difficult to market with all the extra content anyway. Thank you for taking the time to respond, and telling that story. You have been a great help! I will have to discuss this with the team tomorrow.

ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 11:02:00 am »

Hello Everyone! We have taken Some of your suggestions this week. We made sure the enemy shadows were more lined up, and we also created a LERP between unit spaces instead of just teleporting them when you switch two units.

This week we also added the Battering Ram unit!

This unit does not attack automatically. It needs to be flicked into enemies to attack.

The Slam ability the Battering Ram uses also deals splash damage in a straight line. So it can kill enemies standing directly behind each other. After you use the ability it goes on cool down for a short time so it can be helpful to switch in another Battering Ram.

That's all for this week! We will have more next Wednesday!

Please let me know if you have any suggestions comments or questions!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:44:08 pm by ODINKONG » Logged

ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 01:38:05 pm »

This week We added Freeze Frames to the units attacks. We also made sure that units with multiple attacks in their attack animations actually registrar damage twice. This results in much more punchy looking combat.

the sprites are in pixel art... their shadows aren't in pixel art. try to use the same style Wink

As requested we also changed the shadows to proper pixel art shadows and we are quite happy with the results. Thanks Freank!

We have added a new unit this week as well. The spear woman can attack two spaces in front of her dealing half dmg to the first and full dmg to the second. This is very useful when trying to eliminate healers or buffers behind melee units.

The spear woman can also kite melee units without taking any dmg if it is done properly.

Well that's all for this week my friends! Check back next Wednesday for more!
If you have any questions or comments I will be happy to answer them. I check this thread frequently. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:48:56 pm by ODINKONG » Logged

ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 10:13:58 am »

Hey everyone! Sorry we missed a week of the dev log we were all on vacation for the 4th! However we did create content that week so this time we have two units to show instead of one. Here are the Rock Thrower & Trebuchet!

The Rock Thrower Deals Splash Dmg to the units on the sides of the one it hits.

He can easily be countered with a strong melee front line.

Here are our most polished units so far!

That's All for this week Check back next Wednesday for more!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:53:14 pm by ODINKONG » Logged

ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 10:39:12 am »

Hello Everyone! This week we have added The Hag to Raven's Path! The Hag Heals In a half circle in front of her. This can be very useful with high damaging light armor units like the blade maiden.

With Multiple Hags It is easy to maintain your armies health.

We also began Prototyping the end of the game. Things can get very difficult when you have to fight 10 Dragons.

That's all for this week! Check back Next Wednesday for more!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:03:14 pm by ODINKONG » Logged

ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 09:38:31 am »

This week we created William Wallace! His ability is to bring to units with him when moved. This is extremely useful for kiting enemies.

His switching ability can also be used up against an enemy line to throw units backward like so.

Here he is from the front attacking!

That's all for this week! Check back next Wednesday for more!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:14:12 pm by ODINKONG » Logged

ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 01:54:08 pm »

Sorry Guys we are late 1 day we had a bit of hold up on finishing up the unit this week. Anyway Here is the Banshee! She debuffs a units defense when she shoots them and this debuff stacks. We are still deciding on how long the debuff lasts for balance purposes.

The Banshee works very well with a high damage high attack speed unit like the Blade Maiden.

This week we also added a skill that gives you a perfectly accurate shot that always critical hits whenever you manually target a unit. The skill also puts a trail render on the special projectile.

That's all for this week but check back next Wednesday for more!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:07:36 pm by ODINKONG » Logged

ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 11:10:41 am »

Hey Everyone! This is the final of our 41 units, The wulver. This week is a short post because we will be changing gears and getting into UI, Equipment, Buildings, and generally other aspect of the game. There will be a lot more different content going up soon!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:17:33 pm by ODINKONG » Logged

ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 12:02:27 pm »

This week we have been assessing what we have left to complete. All the units are in the game and animated so Kiril is going to be doing a final polish pass on all of them. This week he polished the pig!

We are working on clean up the UI so we can show off the rest of the menus. We will be showing that off next week. For now enjoy these new gifs.

Check back next week for more!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:25:57 pm by ODINKONG » Logged

ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 01:28:38 pm »

Just curious is anyone actually looking at this? I'm not convinced of the usefulness of having a tig source. We are considering moving our dev log strictly to our website. However if someone has a reason as to why we should continue I would be happy to listen. If members of this community are excited to play our game I would love to meet them! I will happily create new posts if even just 1 person is tracking our game through tig source so they can play it when it comes out.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic