Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:29:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMetroid
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Metroid  (Read 5052 times)
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2017, 05:18:25 PM »

don't forget even  at the beginning of super metroid there's dead everywhere.  SNES had some pretty dark and gruesome games on it for it's time, clock tower is still a fantastic horror game. ....though for some reason even with that they wouldn't allow mortal kombat to have blood..

-Fuzzy Spider
omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2017, 05:36:05 PM »

Weird joyless men like J snake who complain bitterly and at length about video games being "child friendly" are ironically less mature than most literal children.

omnilith
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2017, 05:50:57 PM »

Me, stupid millennial with a funnily named brain disease: Hurr durr i dont think blood and violence necessarily make something better. Give me participation trophy nao

Cool, erudite 45 year old with the correct opinions about childrens entertainment: Heh, triggered much? Need a safe space LOL? Anyway, I think Barney the Dinosaur should have eaten all the children on camera.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2017, 06:03:03 PM »

where samus tity

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2017, 06:15:44 PM »

I like classic Nintendo game Killer Instinct

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2017, 03:12:30 AM »

J snake experienced a spiritual and political awakening at age 12 when he tried to get rob the nes robot to jack him off
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2017, 03:31:42 AM »

Weird joyless men like J snake who complain bitterly and at length about video games being "child friendly" are ironically less mature than most literal children.
So wanting more interesting and more immersive games makes you less mature. Explain to me that logic.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2017, 08:40:19 AM »

On that note, however, everything that you don't want doesn't become less immersive or less mature just because you don't want it, dissenting tastes does not mean you have to roll your eyes at everything that is not your flavor (which is a pretty immature thing to do for someone claiming to seek mature things).

I think maybe you've backed yourself into a corner debate-wise (I've been there plenty of times), which is probably why this thread has progressively become J-Snake character assassination spree (which is fucked, mind you, but you're not helping things). I can see where you are coming from on the topic to a degree, Nintendo definitely has the child-friendly air about them but that does not by default mean that everything coming from Nintendo is childish in nature and bright saturated colors do not mean child anymore than dark mute colors means adult. On a technical, mechanical level most of the games Nintendo builds can be equally appealing and challenging to a child or adult (both in mechanics and in themes).

The problem isn't that Nintendo can't build "mature" games for adults, the problem is that Nintendo is apparently not making games that appeals to one adult (I assume) in particular, you. Which is absolutely fine, you are entitled to your tastes and thresholds for whatever reason you have them and there is nothing wrong with them, I imagine they will probably guide your creative efforts well, but it is not a good idea to try and hold them up as if they are the standards by which everyone should be applying things. Maturity is knowing your boundaries, that is why parents spend much of a child's early life teaching them not to get angry when the world doesn't conform to their thoughts and wishes and instead teach them to accept and adapt to the differences.

Anyways, all that said, I am not really impressed with the new Metroid games. Nintendo has a weird way of going through waves where they make a few really good games and then they absolutely butcher a series and then a few more really good ones come out and then its back to more butchering. I think Metroid's been on the chopping block for a while now.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2017, 10:23:57 AM »

Lol,ok, look. I am not telling anyone how they have to enjoy their time, make whatever works for you. And I am not even saying that child-friendly games are bad or don't have a right to exist, that's nonsense as there can be value, not only for children but also for adults. For example I love Mario Kart and I have a blast playing it with friends. All I am saying is that not all games are greatly suited to be shoehorned into a child-friendly bubble as they simply don't reveal their intended potential. And that's the case with Metroid. And I know I am not the only one who is feeling this way. Someone asked, I explained. But I am not going to justify myself everytime to teenagers who aren't able to perceive a message without bias. If they perceive me as a weird unpleasant dude, then so be it, but it really does tell more about them than it tells about me.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2017, 11:44:49 AM »

"teenagers"

even programgamer is at least 20. rj 24. schoq 30.

the reason i perceive you as unpleasant is because you make asinine arguments and then constantly backtrack and go "that's not really what i was saying, if you weren't such a stupid child you'd know that"

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2017, 12:20:52 PM »

All I am saying is that not all games are greatly suited to be shoehorned into a child-friendly bubble as they simply don't reveal their intended potential. And that's the case with Metroid.
The problem is "child-friendly" is a really subjective term in this case. It is not as if they've reduced Metroid down to the level of Teletubbies or dumbed down its mechanics. The real problem is that the series, especially mechanically, really isn't moving forward anymore. Look at Zelda: Breath of the Wild, it's not that they made the game more mature it's that they've brought new mechanics to the table. The game is still "child-friendly", that didn't stop it from introducing more interesting things into the gameplay.

And I know I am not the only one who is feeling this way.
You're not, at least not entirely. As I've just said, I too think they are squandering serious potential I just don't agree that it is because of some "child-friendly" straightjacket that is doing it, I think it is just lazy design work (and in the case of Samus Returns shoddy presentation and execution).

Someone asked, I explained. But I am not going to justify myself everytime to teenagers who aren't able to perceive a message without bias. If they perceive me as a weird unpleasant dude, then so be it, but it really does tell more about them than it tells about me.
I don't think you're weird or unpleasant, I just think you're making a faulty argument and you're stuck on it. That's fine, it's a discussion not a personality contest. I don't know who you are assuming is the teenager here (I am halfway from 30 to 40) but the reality is of course much worse, we're a bunch of adults debating the child-friendly-ness of Metroid on the internet. Right now we are all Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »

All I am saying is that not all games are greatly suited to be shoehorned into a child-friendly bubble as they simply don't reveal their intended potential. And that's the case with Metroid.
Let's try something different and go the other way with this: if it were in your ability to do so, how would you make Metroid more mature?
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2017, 12:46:58 PM »

Let's try something different and go the other way with this: if it were in your ability to do so, how would you make Metroid more mature?

now you've done it

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2017, 12:47:50 PM »

Reminding admonition to be respectful and decent.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2017, 12:58:23 PM »

the reason i perceive you as unpleasant is because you make asinine arguments and then constantly backtrack and go "that's not really what i was saying, if you weren't such a stupid child you'd know that"
I don't. Many people in a debate make the fallacy of assuming an unnecessary extended context which really isn't there in a debate, which is called bias. And it is not exclusive to teenagers. So they fail at being rational where it counts. I don't backtrack or twist, only elaborate: I said the problem with Metroid is child-friendly Nintendo. I went on to say that they try to shoehorn every game idea into a child-friendly bubble. So as a logical conclusion then is that it happens with Metroid too. But where did I say "the problem with EVERY GAME is child-friendly Nintendo". I offered no basis where this statement logically follows. So it is objectively your bias and irrationality that makes it up.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2017, 01:02:37 PM »

Reminding admonition to be respectful and decent.

all you ever need is to be nice and friendly
all you ever n-oops is to oops oops oops oops

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2017, 01:08:08 PM »

j snake i think the issue we take primarily comes from the assumption that metroid has any problems stemming from child-friendliness whatsoever (they really don't); thise same arguments made by you are very analogous to arguments made by babymen who want more bloodgun, so i think it's pretty fair to read that context you're pretending doesn't exist

you don't live in a vacuum

im either case, metroid, no, will never be an r-rated gorefest, but also it doesn't need to be. the game isn't about that. pushing its envelope too much in the wrong direction would distract from where the game's actual horror lies- samus's absolution of loneliness in a cold world. these games are existential horror wrapped in sci-fi exceptionalism and they aways have been, especially in the cases of metroid 2, prime 2, and fusion

this is also part of why other m suck

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2017, 01:16:13 PM »

let platinum make a metroid game
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2017, 01:19:57 PM »

j snake i think the issue we take primarily comes from the assumption that metroid has any problems stemming from child-friendliness whatsoever (they really don't);
To your information, Super Metroid took strong inspirations from films like Alien in regards to its atmosphere. I recommend you to play/reply that game to recall how its atmosphere actually feels like, and then put it right to Metroid Prime or the later game-boy versions and feel the difference. Now given stronger hardware than snes Super Metroid would certainly be closer to the intended vision, but you could see well where the tone was going (means it didn't look like a typical Nintendo game). Of course, in case you are a person who is not very perceptive for atmosphere then there is not much point debating it.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2017, 01:25:54 PM »

let platinum make a metroid game
Metroid OtherM will make you happy then.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic