Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:17:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIf you are reading this, get back to work.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: If you are reading this, get back to work.  (Read 3045 times)
NeckBeardAficionado
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 03:08:41 PM »

Go work on your game.
Right now, stop shitposting and browsing other devlogs thinking it is productive in it's own way.
It isn't.

b-b-bBut but I have hit creators block and can't write/code/draw/whatever the part of my game I am working on

Bullshit get back to work.
Work on another part of your game.
Work on another game.
Making endless side projects that are doomed to fail is better than not making anything, just remember to publish whatever crap comes out.

The internet is the modern worlds greatest resource. That isn't hyperbole, that's fact. You are currently connected to the most advanced and instant form of communication that has literally ever been invented in the entire known universe.

And what are you using it for? To make ironic jokes about dying? To look at videos of other people having sex? What?
That stuff isn't harming you but if you don't do something more, something worthwhile, something productive; it sure as hell isn't bettering you.

You're an artist goddammit. Michelangelo made better shit without the internet with a hard stone in one hand and a sharp one in the other.

You are looking at the deepest, widest, most dense library of human knowledge and understanding.

Use it.

Put on some good music and open up a development program, art, music, unity, GMstudio, whatever, as long as it makes something.
Draw something new, write something new, make, anything.

It's ironic that you're writing this when you should be... getting back to work.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 08:24:54 PM »

I feel there's more people who make excuses to not work on their game (myself included) than there are people who have valid reasons.
Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 10:28:15 PM »

Fine.
Maximillian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 02:47:39 PM »

I feel there's more people who make excuses to not work on their game (myself included) than there are people who have valid reasons.

I think you're failing to properly understanding why you (obviously) cannot work on your projects as much as you (and/or other people) would like to. Procrastination is how our body is trying to tell us that there are other things in life -- not just what we think are our projects. You can make an effort to understand it (I mean procrastination) or you can misunderstand it -- the way you do, as it appears to me. We live in an annoyingly anti-leisure culture.
Maximillian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 02:52:21 PM »

I wanna smack him in his face and I think I'm gonna take his advice this one time. I'll just do it (okay, one day, I promise.)

My advice: if you are not naturally inclined to do something, don't do it. Do something else, something you really want to do.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2018, 02:55:47 PM »

The original post was about the wasted potential to be a true artist within nearly anyone on this forum (again myself included). It wasn't anti-lesuire or saying that if someone was busy with real life i.e. work and school that they should feel bad for it. As time goes on we all learn about our missunderstnadings about life, one of mine has always been thinking I am and by extent others are obligated to fufil their potential. But I have a long standing principle to never delete my posts or messages even if they are a bad take. Talking past it and realizing that I was wrong either by intention or wording is always the better choice.
Maximillian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 03:05:09 PM »

It might be a wasted potential or it might be a sign that if you continue focusing on what you consider to be your projects (e.g. games) that you will waste your potential (:

Can you see my point?

Procrastination simply means that for one reason or another we cannot attain the goal we have set for ourselves i.e. it is a sign that we have unrealistic expectations.

Here's another way to think about it. There are tasks we are more fit for and then there are tasks we are less fit for. Normally, we find the former pleasurable and the latter boring. We need quite a bit of will power to keep doing the second class of tasks -- our impulse pushes us towards the former, so there must be sufficient counter-force to resist distractions. Maybe I was born and raised to be a peoples person but due to the lack of appropriate circumstances I was forced to look at a different career -- such as games career. I really want to do the former, and my mind is constantly set on it, but because I have no means to do it, I am forced to try to something else, something I am less motivated to do. Procrastination is only a natural consequence in such a situation.
CodeLobe
Level 0

Decide to Act Sensibly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 05:41:43 PM »

There are tasks we are more fit for and then there are tasks we are less fit for. Normally, we find the former pleasurable and the latter boring.

Normally, sure, but almost everything normal is boring... so what about magically?

Here's a Hermetic way of thinking about it: If the task doesn't fit you, simply transmute a bit of your lower leaden self into a golden higher self to match, meet, and exceed the goal.

TL;DR: If you can't change, you're either dead or a god.
Maximillian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2018, 11:22:29 PM »

If I drown you in water (which I don't want to do, it's just an example) will you adapt or die? You will die, right? Like all other organisms, humans are flexible in certain regards and inflexible in other regards. Every organism is specialized for a certain class of tasks. Try to force an organism to step out of its specialization too much (or too abruptly) and it  will go extinct. No magical thinking will help you here.
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2018, 05:34:47 AM »

I switch between projects in addition to spend too much time on forums and reading too many books. It is not that I am not made to work on games, I just almost never finish any of my projects. Not convinced at all that Maximillian got it right, at least not in general (or for me specifically). Incomplete games are also games.
pulse
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2018, 02:29:03 AM »

Too real
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic