Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:28:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Need guidance on 2D pixel art
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need guidance on 2D pixel art  (Read 1601 times)
baybayman
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »

I have plans on making a small top-down RPG using unity to get acquainted with the engine. Although, I also want to make my own 2D pixel art. I have experience making sprites, and I also have experience programming. My only problem are the dimensions of which the characters, items, backgrounds should be drawn in.

I see a lot of pixel art assets that have dimensions set at 32 bit, 16 bit and 8 bit. I'm assuming that's based on the color palette. Right now I have a character drawn on Photoshop, but the dimensions are not exactly symmetrical. Is there some tutorial out there that describes the standards for every top down 2D rpg? I would like to know how many pixels each side should be for characters, and generally everything else. I am afraid if I make the character a scale different than the tiles, it'll look out of place.

My Photoshop canvas is set up for 2D pixel art, with guidelines and grids. I am also using a 300x300 pixel canvas, so I don't know how to use the space accordingly.

Overall, I am lost on what to follow. I don't know whether I should just keep making the characters the way I'm making them, or have them sized according the the entire tileset. If someone could guide me to a blogpost, tutorial or paper talking about this subject, I would greatly appreciate it! It's what's holding me back at the moment. I will try using free assets for now, but I plan on making my own for later.
7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 03:28:36 PM »

A few things first. "32 bit", "16 bit" and "8 bit" refers to the colors used. I don't remember the numbers exactly, but that means around "millions of colors", "256 colors" and "64" colors respectively. Although this is also limited by the hardware in hand. The NES for example can't display all 64 colors of its palette at once, even though it's an 8-bit system

As far as dimensions go, RPGs are tiled and so you'll want to use one of the default sizes like 16x16, 24x24, 32x32 or 48x48. If you need visual idea of what those look like, look up the different RPG Maker editions as they come with a pack of graphics in those sizes. RPGM 2k3 uses 16x16, RPGM VX uses 24x24, RPGM XP uses 32x32 and RPGM MV uses 48x48

You also need to pick a resolution for your game, which should compliment your tile dimensions. You can make a game 256x240 if you use 16x16 tiles, but you need to go bigger if you want more detail

Since you're new, I recommend that you stick to the smallest resolution possible. Pixel art gets exponentially more difficult as you increase the size of your canvas. Making a 16x16 tile may take a couple minutes, but a 48x48 tile can take hours and a much higher set of skills

Here's a few links to help you out:
This is a great basic pixel art tutorial that may help you getting started
A little guide on perspectives

baybayman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 03:42:17 PM »

Wow, thank you for such a detailed response. I really appreciate it.

What you mentioned about the resolution is what I was looking for! That's exactly what I needed! I was trying to see what the canvas size should be for certain tile dimensions. So, 16x16 or 24x24 is where I should probably start. I almost thought about going 48x48, but you mentioned it gets a lot harder at that level. I will probably do that later, if I have the time.

Again, thank you for giving me this information! Now I can consider asking other questions when the time comes!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic