Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:04:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Negative - a dark, evocative, monster collection RPG
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: The Negative - a dark, evocative, monster collection RPG  (Read 11715 times)
Thylacine Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2017, 02:52:40 PM »

I showed off a new skill called "Volley" in a tweet. Someone said it's way too much. What do you guys think? https://twitter.com/ThylaStudios/status/897838256842264576

Check out our DevLog for The Negative, the latest monster collection RPG from Thylacine Studios!
joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2017, 02:58:19 PM »

Yeah it's bit much. I think maybe for the top tier spell perhaps? But seems like overkill for a moderate spell.
Thylacine Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2017, 03:43:23 PM »

That's a good idea. I might cut the number of arrows in half and make it do a lot more damage to bring everything more in line with the way it looks.

Check out our DevLog for The Negative, the latest monster collection RPG from Thylacine Studios!
Thylacine Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2017, 07:23:45 AM »

Devlog Post #11: Monster Spotlight - Pontiff

The Pontiff is a highly-versatile monster that belongs to the Life class. This monster’s skills all have different effects depending on whether you use them on an ally or an enemy.

The Pontiff is capable of dishing out a high amount of damage while also offering buff support, stat boosts, and most prominently, healing. This monster’s main weakness is that its skills cost a high amount of MP – so while each skill is quite powerful, you’ll need to use them sparingly… or simply stock up on mana potions.

Active Skills

Flagellation: Deals a small amount of damage to an enemy, or recovers a small amount of HP for an ally.

Declaration: Enemies are afflicted with a random debuff, and allies are granted a random buff.

Determination: Enemies lose a small amount of their highest stat, and allies gain a small amount of their lowest stat.

Judgment Day: Enemies take a large amount of damage, and allies recover a large amount of HP.

Passive Skills
Divinity: After this monster uses a skill, it gains a Barrier that absorbs damage equal to 15% of its Maximum HP.

Belittle: When this monster damages an enemy, the enemy loses a small amount of Power.

Unstifled: This monster is immune to Silence.

Inspiration: When this monster heals an ally, the ally gains a small amount of Power.

Apparently, looping this monster’s attack animation makes it look like it’s trying to get its groove on.

Thylacine Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2017, 09:12:17 AM »

Devlog Post #12: Monster Spotlight - Spirit

The Spirit is a Life monster with a skill set that focuses on manipulating the battlefield in unconventional ways. Most of its skills change their effects based on the stats of other monsters in battle. In addition, it capitalizes on having high Resistances, which work closely with the Defense stat to mitigate a large amount of incoming damage.

Active Skills

Mortal Coil: Deals a small amount of damage. The damage is based on the target’s lowest Resistance.

Ancient Gift: Target gains a large amount of Power, Defense, Speed, or Luck – whichever is highest.

Decrepify: Enemies lose a small amount of Power, Defense, Speed, or Luck – whichever is highest.

Soul Blade: Deals a large amount of damage to the enemy with the lowest HP.

Passive Skills
Pierce Soul: This monster’s attacks and skills deal damage as if its targets have 15% less Resistance.

Magic Shell: This monster’s maximum Resistances are 75%. (The maximum is normally 50%)

Resilience: This monster has 15% additional Resistances.

Impunity: This monster’s Resistances cannot be lowered.

Attack animations look really weird when they’re looped over and over again.

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2017, 02:25:31 PM »

Man I can't wait until Early Access, I'm gonna have to stop following this devlog lol. I can already tell I am going to put so many hours into this one. This is quickly becoming my most anticipated game and it's looking to be like the perfect follow up to Siralim.

One thing that The Negative seems to have that I felt was a bit lacking in Siralim is a sort of cohesiveness, to the lore and to the style. Maybe it's just because I started to play Siralim pretty early in development before you added all the realms and gods and such but the focus was less the story aspects and more about the grinding and building a party. There are definitely some cool creatures and some interesting elements in Siralim but The Negative's world just seems like it has more depth and is more focused. In Siralim sometimes it felt like just a bunch of different monsters all thrown in together(which is still totally awesome btw) but with The Negative all the mobs seem to fit much better with one another, if that makes any sense, haha.
Thylacine Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2017, 05:20:21 PM »

Definitely! There's much more of a focus on the lore this time, and each monster fits into that lore in its own way as well. I'm kicking around different ways to present the lore outside of the main story dialog - there might be an in-game monster compendium that contains a few sentences about each monster, or I was even thinking about writing a companion book alongside the game itself to present the deeper details of the story that way. Still not sure how I'll go about it, but I can guarantee there'll be a lot more to sink your teeth into for this game! It should result in a more fulfilling and "not-as-cheap" experience as what you might find in Siralim.

Thanks for your feedback!

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2017, 12:49:41 AM »

I like the idea of collectible monster logs in random drops  Smiley
Thylacine Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2017, 05:14:12 AM »

That could work! It would be a nice, extra incentive to grind enemies in the late game as well. Maybe I'll bring back the card system from Siralim 2 where each monster has a rare chance to drop a card, and when you have a card it grants a small passive bonus and allows you to read the lore about that monster.

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2017, 07:54:57 AM »

Yeah, that'd be neat and gives a non-combat reason to seek out fights. You could even tie it into some kind of "Research" or "Familiarity" system to give it context - the more you fight, the more you learn about them

Thylacine Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2017, 09:19:55 AM »

That's a good idea. That might provide a nice, indirect end-game grind that some people might enjoy. Maybe after the lore text is unlocked, there could be really small combat bonuses granted over time based on how many of a specific monster you kill.

Thylacine Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2017, 04:38:50 AM »

Devlog Post #13: Monster Spotlight - Totemancer

The Totemancer belongs to the Chaos class. As its name suggests, this monster’s primary goal is to summon a wide array of versatile totems to aid your monsters in battle. While this monster’s innate skill set is more than capable of holding its own in combat, I expect that creative players will come up with even more interesting combinations with other summon-based skills.

Totems are unique compared to other summons in that the player cannot control them directly. Instead, at the start of their turn, they perform a specific function and then their turn ends immediately. Much like other summoned monsters, totems inherit stats from the monster that summoned them.

Active Skills
Totem of Fire: Summons a Totem of Fire. At the start of its turn, it deals a small amount of damage to a random enemy, then skips its turn. Only one Totem of Fire can be active at a time.

Totem of Earth: Summons a Totem of Earth. At the start of its turn, it heals one of your monsters for a small amount of HP, then skips its turn. Only one Totem of Earth can be active at a time.

Conjuration: Deals a small amount of damage to all enemies, plus 10% more damage for each summoned monster fighting on your side.

Totem of Storms: Summons a Totem of Storms. At the start of its turn, it uses the Conjuration skill, then skips its turn. Only one Totem of Storms can be active at a time.

Passive Skills
Salvaged Mind: At the end of battle, this monster regenerates a small amount of MP for each summoned monster that is still alive on your side.

All For One: This monster has 5% more Power for each summoned monster fighting on your side.

Totem of Frost: At the start of battle, summon a Totem of Frost. At the start of its turn, it decreases a random enemy’s Charge by 25%, then skips its turn. Only one Totem of Frost can be active at a time.

Horde: Your summoned monsters gain Charge 5% more quickly for each summoned monster fighting on your side.

whistlerat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2017, 09:51:52 AM »

Just wanted to pop in to say that I'm digging this thread, and reading the monster descriptions in particular has been a blast. I'm impressed by the variety already, but mostly your ability to get a solid concept and then build abilities around it that seem to make sense! How many of these have you implemented and actually played with, have any not turned out as fun as you thought they would in the concept stage?

I also tried out Siralim quite a while ago (the first I think?). I didn't get very far just because I found it way too wordy and front-loaded with information - maybe you improved on this in the second one and I should give it another chance Smiley Either way, the visuals, concept and tone here is solid and as a monster-collecting fan I'm totally on board!

Thylacine Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2017, 10:03:58 AM »

Just wanted to pop in to say that I'm digging this thread, and reading the monster descriptions in particular has been a blast. I'm impressed by the variety already, but mostly your ability to get a solid concept and then build abilities around it that seem to make sense! How many of these have you implemented and actually played with, have any not turned out as fun as you thought they would in the concept stage?

I also tried out Siralim quite a while ago (the first I think?). I didn't get very far just because I found it way too wordy and front-loaded with information - maybe you improved on this in the second one and I should give it another chance Smiley Either way, the visuals, concept and tone here is solid and as a monster-collecting fan I'm totally on board!

Thanks for your interest! I've implemented a lot of skills so far and played around with their long-term interaction throughout the game, but the game also isn't far enough along for me to do a really good check to make sure everything is viable. For the most part, I expect that most tweaks will simply be numerical, since I have a decent amount of experience with knowing what's fun to play and what's not thanks to having a similar skill system in Siralim and Siralim 2. Of course, a lot will change once the game enters Early Access on Steam!

Sorry for the late response - I was on vacation for a few days!

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »

Oh maannnn I love me some monster training, and this is looking awesome. Really appreciate all the thought you are putting into skills, classes, etc. Definitely following this!  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Pixel.ABCD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2017, 01:08:49 AM »

That logo with two plague doctors look really cool. You have also some really interesting monsters design, I liked purple tentacle thing. Keep nice work  Wizard
Thylacine Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2017, 06:22:11 AM »

Devlog Post #14: Monster Spotlight - Glumroth

Glumroth belongs to the Void class. This cute little guy doesn’t do much at the start of battle thanks to its low Speed (made worse by one of its passive skills!), but is capable of gaining a huge damage advantage over his opponents thanks to his many sources of Power gains and his ability to decrease his enemies’ Defense.

Glumroth also has a few very powerful passive skills, including some that deal damage to all monsters on the battlefield (including your own monsters!) and healing himself based on the number of monsters damaged. Perhaps most importantly, Glumroth has the unique ability to disable a piece of an enemy’s equipment – this is especially useful when an enemy is wielding a piece of unique gear that grants it an annoying, powerful skill.

Active Skills
Blood Feast: Target takes a small amount of damage and this monster recovers a moderate amount of HP.

Devour: Target takes a moderate amount of damage. If this skill kills the target, this monster recovers 50% HP.

Stomach Acid: Enemies lose a moderate amount of Defense.

Belch: Disables a piece of the target’s equipment for the rest of the battle, and creates a poison pool at the target’s location.

Passive Skills
Insatiable: When this monster is healed, and the amount of healing exceeds its Maximum HP, 20% of the amount it would have recovered is instead gained as Power.

Gluttony: At the start of battle, 20% of this monster’s Speed is converted to Power.

Noxious: At the start of this monster’s turn, it deals a small amount of damage to all monsters.

Voracity: When this monster deals damage, it recovers 1% HP for each monster damaged.

Thylacine Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2017, 07:30:09 AM »

Devlog Post #15: Monster Spotlight - The Crestfallen

Even though The Negative is a very different game than Siralim, and these games take place in very different worlds, I like the idea of tying all my RPGs together with some easter eggs. I don’t want players to feel like they’re missing out on anything major by not playing an older game, but I think the people who have been with us for a while might appreciate the subtle nods to past games every now and then. The Crestfallen is a good example of this.

The Crestfallen belongs to the Life class, and has a set of skills that are very unique compared to those of other monsters. Most notably, The Crestfallen cannot equip any items – instead, it receives a large, passive boost to all its stats. Of course, if you don’t like that play style, you’re welcome to get rid of the skill via monster fusion.

Active Skills
Cleave: Target and the enemies surrounding the target take a small amount of damage.

Sword Dance: Deals a small amount of damage to the target, then this monster moves to a random location.

Blade of Judgment: Deals a moderate amount of damage to the target. This skill is used repeatedly until it misses. This skill has a 100% chance to hit the target, and this chance is cut in half each time it is used during this monster’s turn.

Blade of Mercy: Deals a moderate amount of damage to the target. If the amount of damage exceeds 50% of the target’s Maximum HP, the target is killed.

Passive Skills
Abstinence: This monster cannot equip items. In addition, it has 35% more Power, Defense, Speed, and Luck.

Sweeping Blade: When this monster moves, it attacks a random enemy.

Riposte: When this monster is attacked, and the attack deals less than 20% of its Maximum HP, this monster counterattacks the enemy.

Soulstealer: When this monster kills an enemy, it gains a large amount of Power and Luck.

Can you guess whose soul inhabits this blade?

Thylacine Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2017, 06:48:56 AM »

Devlog Post #16: Monster Spotlight - Jotun

Jotun is a Chaos monster that makes use of a terrain effect called “magma pools”. Magma pools can appear underneath a monster in battle, causing them to take damage over time. Monsters can move away from these pools, which of course costs them their turn. You’ll need to decide if your monsters’ safety is worth stalling the battle longer.

Active Skills
Eruption: Deals a small amount of damage and creates a magma pool at the target location. If this skill is used on your own monsters, it deals no damage.

Volcano: Deals a moderate amount of damage to all enemies, plus 20% damage for each magma pool on the battlefield.

Molten Reflection: This monster splits into 2 separate monsters. Each one has 35% of the original monster’s HP.

Firestorm: Deals a large amount of damage to all enemies. Each position on the enemy’s side of the battlefield has a 30% chance to erupt into a pool of magma.

Passive Skills
Lava Spawn: This monster receives healing over time from magma pools instead of taking damage from them.

Molten Shield: While this monster is standing in a magma pool, it takes 15% less damage.

Incinerate: This monster deals 5% damage for each consecutive time it has attacked or used a skill on the target.

Ashes to Ashes: This monster deals 5% more damage for each magma pool on the battlefield.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2017, 05:47:30 AM »

Love that last animation hahah. It's like he's taking a lava bath and wants to share it with you. So playful

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic