Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:44:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesPlatformer Hunting!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Platformer Hunting!  (Read 968 times)
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2017, 02:31:42 PM »

I've got an itch to play a new platformer game and we've got the Steam Summer Sale going on. Any recommendations? Some notable games (though not indicative of my enjoyment of them) in my library are Axiom Verge, ESA, FEZ, Freedom Planet and N++.

I prefer sci-fi settings and I'm leery of "proc-gen" experiences. 3D platformer suggestions are fine too. Here are a couple of games on my radar, if anyone has an opinion on them:

• 20XX : Its supposed to be like MegaMan, but I'm concerned about the proc-gen elements of it.
  • Ghost 1.0 : Looks decent, if not just a little cheap-looking.
  • Teslagrad : Looks interesting enough, and its super cheap right now.
l0bster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 12:57:06 PM »

I've played platformers almost exclusively for a period of time, so maybe i have some suggestions. Although you already made some good choices with ESA and axiom verge.

Flywrench: a minimalstic "platformer" with a really cool and unique movement mechanic (hard to explain, you should just check out a trailer)
Blitz Breaker: highly recommend that one. I got the same vibes from it as from super meat boy, it really nailed the line between being to hard and challenging
The fall: a sci-fi metroidvania with a nice presentation
Offspring fling: nice and polished 2d puzzle platformer.

I actually don't know why i started listing games. I could go on and on, but i leave those couple games here, as maybe they are a little less known.

Oh and i played teslagrad and found it mediocre. I didn't find major flaws but i wasn't blown away either.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 02:13:47 AM by lobstersteve » Logged
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 01:30:12 PM »

I enjoyed 20XX, yeah it's proc gen but the levels it makes are actually pretty good, plus the movement mechanics are VERY mega-man

-Fuzzy Spider
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 01:30:57 PM »

Monster World IV

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 01:18:24 PM »

Ori and the Blind Forest
Hollow Knight
Rain World

(And the other ones listed above)
Axiom Verge
FEZ

Also if you've never played:
Cave Story (duh)
VVVVVV
Super Meat Boy

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
SchriefFighter
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 07:10:34 PM »

Have you ever tried Super Phantom Cat? It's simple, fun, it's on Android and iOS, and the best part...it's free!

Actually, the best part is that you can upgrade your avatar into a series of different forms...but the free part is good too!
Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 10:21:27 PM »

I know this is a bit outside the confines of the steam stuff, but my favourite platformers are still the Donkey Kong Country Returns games. Pinnacle of 2D platforming imo.

(Also a bit self promotey but I've almost finished my own platformer if you wanna try it out for free).

Obviously I second Hollow Knight / VVVVVV / Super Meat Boy. Great stuff there.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic