Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:01:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOneShot
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: OneShot  (Read 1892 times)
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2017, 05:52:04 PM »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/420530/OneShot/

I just bought this game during the Steam Summer Sale and I can't say I've seen much in the way of major coverage for it. A quick search here didn't show any topic for it, so here you go.

Played and beat it in a weekend. Just... wow. I feel like using the term "meta" undercuts how surreal this game truly is, but it takes that concept and masterfully walks the gray area between being pretentious and facetious. It treats you like a literal human being instead of someone who's making arbitrary decisions based on gameplay constructs, and it actually works. I think this is the first game to legitimately make me cry.

My mind was so blown by this game that I frankly don't want to shut up about it. Excellent OST too, especially if you're into surreal, borderline-haunting music. If you haven't played it, you should; get it while its on sale.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 06:15:05 PM »

Played it a few months back and yup its fantastic.

Definitely felt very unique. Unfortunately the tricks (feels bad to call them that though) it uses won't work a second time. Got that Undertale-style 4th wall breaking to it in a very good way.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 03:32:38 AM »

Wonder how many iterations it takes until Undertale gimmicks wear off, or if its magic remains eternal.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 03:41:46 AM »

Interesting hint, thanks for that. To me it seems to have all the good traits of an Indie game: cheap enough to not care about the money, a short and conclusive experience and a bit of novelty that large studios wouldn't dare to use. It uses retro graphics, but well... nothing is perfect.

Go fuck yourself, all you procedurally generated permadeath rougelikes.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 07:35:04 AM »

It uses retro graphics, but well... nothing is perfect.
Retro graphics or not, I think its worth noting that its overall presentation is very consistent. Nearly everything from the graphics, music and atmosphere fits together incredibly well in my opinion. I can think of only one spot off the top of my head where the "blocky" pixel look stuck out to me, and you can literally measure that point in seconds.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 11:14:42 AM »

as the title implies, the first playthrough had really its good emotional part. A 2nd playthrough had it little gimmicks but not really worthy imo, dev shouldn't have put those steam achievements that require 2 playthrough (2 endings)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 11:47:38 AM »

this game is actually older than undertale btw. it was a free rpg maker game before it went commercial.
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »

as the title implies, the first playthrough had really its good emotional part. A 2nd playthrough had it little gimmicks but not really worthy imo, dev shouldn't have put those steam achievements that require 2 playthrough (2 endings)
The only achievement I can think of like that is the "Return" achievement, but that doesn't technically require two full playthroughs.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 05:40:06 PM »

I think there was a recent update that added a 3rd playthrough. There was a countdown clock in-game that was supposed to end in May I think.

Been meaning to give it another playthrough.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:59:40 PM by DireLogomachist » Logged

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »

Spoilerish Stuff
SSSSSSSSHHHHH.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 10:56:30 AM »

So.. do you only have 1 bullet?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 05:58:44 AM »

it's not about bullets, it's about tequila
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 08:06:35 AM »

it's clearly about photography

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 07:32:20 PM »

it's clearly about photography

Thanks I missed that.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 02:23:36 AM »

Imagine if you had.... one shot....
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 02:42:39 AM »

Excellent sink unblocker
garfield_game_dev
Level 0

gamedev cat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 06:33:59 AM »

this game looked cool, until i learned that the main character is not a real cat, but just looks like one. it would have been deeply disappointing if i had cared.

-garfield
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 10:07:36 AM »

garfield u realize we can't hear what you're thinking and just sometimes get the general gist of what you're trying to express on the rare occasions that you use expressive enough body language

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
garfield_game_dev
Level 0

gamedev cat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 11:42:26 AM »

that's the idea, yeah.

how shocking that you wouldn't realize it was intentional. i'm surprised by your lack of perception.

-garfield
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 01:22:55 PM »

Garf you are being an asshole. Stop insulting people and actually post funny stuff if you're gonna do a parody account. You looks like you're just roleplaying as Garfield right now.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic