Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:04:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDUSTER - Roguelite Western about birds, revenge, and gold
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: DUSTER - Roguelite Western about birds, revenge, and gold  (Read 14624 times)
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2017, 12:17:27 PM »

You can download the most recent build of Duster at https://coldrice.itch.io/duster

You can see what's being worked on at https://trello.com/b/SR0NbMfS

WHAT IS DUSTER
Duster is a retro Western where you roll a unique character and follow a bird spirit to gold, adventure, and likely hilarious death. Every character you create starts with different bonuses that helps you to and hunt down the corrupt officials, crooked lawmen, and violent outlaws guarding a lost treasure. Be warned, once your dead you’re down for good!

Every game is generated uniquely. You’ll find an amazing world filled with poisonous snakes, roaming bandit gangs, giant steam robots, and other drifters out to find the gold first.

• Seek out and Assassinate ruthless criminals
    Explore an immense desert that’s unique every time
    Fight bandits, escape cultists, dodge robots, search caves, pan gold, and survive in the search of cold hard cash
    Dynamic combat system of stealth, parries, and guns, and exciting attacks
    A perilous desert that kills for good, no saving!

The core gameplay of duster is to search for and assassinate powerful outlaws in the name of revenge, all while surviving a very harsh world. Poison, disease, bullet, wounds, and more will try to bring you down. You must prevail if you’re to avenge the bird spirit and claim your riches!

You’ll have to make a decision between entering a cave rich in gold, or going to find a source of water before you die of thirst. Drinking water from a running river is clean, but that pool of stagnant water could easily lead to cholera. Stumbling upon a secret bandit hideout could be something to avoid, but you might need to sneak through and deftly defeat its master for a clue. When all else fails there’s always a trusty six shooter to get you out of even the tightest spots.

Combat in Duster is perhaps one of the most intense and fun aspects of the game. Stagnant trade has made ammunition a valuable commodity. Your character must often rely on impressive melee feats in a dynamic combat system. Dodge, parry, even fighting multiple enemies at once. A stealthy backstab is the easiest way to take out an enemy instead of attempting to take them head on. Even with that powerful colt pistol at your side, a long journey out of town could easily see you saving those precious bullets for emergencies and dispatching your enemies the old fashioned way.

In addition to navigation a harsh western landscape and fighting dynamic battles, there are a multitude of fun ways to gather resources in this game. You might start out with the safest route of panning the river for gold and slowly amass enough wealth for bigger adventures. Players may attempt to go cave spelunking to find valuable deposits of gold while avoiding nests of snakes and scorpions. If you’re feeling lucky, you can go out guns glazing to take down bandits for gold!

PLOT
Each game you play as an unfortunate soul who has take on the cursed duster jacket, and thus been lured in by the fable of a lost gold mine! The spirit of one of the miners personified as a bird guides you to riches, but mostly death.

The lost gold mine itself is guarded by corrupt officials, bandits, and self serving lawmen. You're mission is to assassinate these evildoers, find the lost mine, and avenge the bird spirit!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 10:29:08 AM by coldrice » Logged

DUSTER - Western Simulator

Tig Blog
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 12:33:06 PM »

i love ittttt

Petty_King
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 06:38:12 PM »

THIS IS AMAZING. I LOVE IT. MORE, MORE, MORE!  Beer!
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 06:48:47 PM »

Woo! Thanks for the kind words guys!

Tig Blog
agingminotaur
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 11:19:11 PM »

Yup, this looks highly interesting. Good luck!

As always,
Minotauros

homeTIGSourceitch.io
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 12:34:28 AM »

Looks GREAT!

sbeast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 11:42:41 AM »

The game looks pretty cool so far. Will you be needing any music for it?

Sbeast - Composer / Cover Artist / Guitarist
http://luxbellator.com/portfolio
l0bster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 12:31:44 PM »

Sweet Smiley i'm a sucker for top down pixel exploration games atm
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 08:35:01 AM »

Added a trello link so people can see what's being worked on https://trello.com/b/SR0NbMfS

FOR NOW, fish are spawning

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:36:37 PM by coldrice » Logged

Tig Blog
joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »

Wow, this is really cool! The controls aren't particularly intuitive at the moment but I love the feel, I know its a super early build but its a great start so far! We need more western games like this. It is a genre that isn't popular in our culture these days but one that I love.

I'm not sure if the music is placeholder but if you need some work, I'd love to try to come up with a Good, Bad & The Ugly meets Fallout New Vegas kinda sound. Sounds like it could be fun! Anyway I'm here if you need me  Wink
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 01:23:10 PM »

Sorry guys I'm not looking for sound/music composer at this moment!

I'm working through the fishing pole - right now its a bit janky. However, I had a brilliant idea of how to make the fishing pole more useful

Tig Blog
Artsicle
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 01:30:02 PM »

Looks like a really cool game!
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 01:01:50 PM »

Updated the title screen, and got a little bit closer with the fishing pole

also got a cool shoutout from PCgamer - which is a bit daunting considering how early the game is

http://www.pcgamer.com/free-games-of-the-week/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:02:42 PM by coldrice » Logged

Tig Blog
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 12:05:26 PM »

New version is up for people to mess with, v0.0.1a

https://coldrice.itch.io/duster/devlog/5323/new-v001a-live

WHATS NEW

-NEW TITLE SCREEN with "continue," "New Game," and "QUIT" options

-Added Fish

-Added "Fish" item

-Adding "Fishing Pole" Item

-Changed Game Font

BUGS FIXED

-Fixed a bug where water would try to cut through mountains on purpose

-fixed a graphical bug where the hat was off when shooting a pistol from the side

-Fixed a bug where shadow/dark sprites would sometimes persist in the world and be stuck forever

-fixed a bug where sometimes you could pan gold immediately after panning gold already, allowing you to automatically loot raw ore - the animation would occur AFTER looting as a result

Tig Blog
Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 12:31:20 PM »

Oh I totally forgot to give feedback from when I played this!

I like it, the game loop is pretty fun. My one complaint is that panning for gold is a bit brainless. Might be better if you can get a small amount of ores by panning in the river, but you can also walk along the banks to find little shiny spots or something, and pan there for larger amounts of ore. Might give you a bit of a more "active" way of doing the panning.

coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 12:43:02 PM »

Oh I totally forgot to give feedback from when I played this!

I like it, the game loop is pretty fun. My one complaint is that panning for gold is a bit brainless. Might be better if you can get a small amount of ores by panning in the river, but you can also walk along the banks to find little shiny spots or something, and pan there for larger amounts of ore. Might give you a bit of a more "active" way of doing the panning.

fantastic idea!

Tig Blog
Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 12:49:35 PM »

Dude I'm genuinely in love with the idea for this game. One of my favourite recent indie games was Westerado and I think this could really scratch my western indie itch.

Really pumped to see where this goes.

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 01:35:08 PM »

I don't know why I love fishing in video games but hate it in real life. I can see myself wasting a lot of time in this world  Cheesy
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 12:09:04 PM »

I don't know why I love fishing in video games but hate it in real life. I can see myself wasting a lot of time in this world  Cheesy

Me too! I have a whole patch in the future dedicated to making some fun/interesting fishing mechanics!

on that note, putting your fish in a bag isn't that great an idea

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:39:32 PM by coldrice » Logged

Tig Blog
coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 03:48:50 PM »

Ok, so now there are some more mechanics attached. rotten foods gives a % chance to give you a disease. Currently there is only one generic disease that makes you lose water faster and move slower - but I'd like to expand it later. I overhauled how status conditions work so that they're more generic in code and expandable later for fun things!

Tig Blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic