Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 05:40:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesign RPG leveling
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RPG leveling  (Read 1203 times)
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »

Hi all
Long time i didnt posted on Tigsource
very busy with a minigame i try to release this year
In that minigame you' gonna have a leveling component element
The game needs to be more detailled here so :

Minigame/infinite runner where accumulating experience unlocks stuff like double jump, better shoot, etc

So i'm asking people

Do you prefer :

1 Infinite MAX level (no end leveling )

2 Finite Max level (for exemple Star ocean max level is 255 )

And if you choose why ?
So to know a bit the argument of any choice

thanks

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:37:21 AM by airman4 » Logged

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 08:26:21 AM »

Feel like there aren't enough details to say one way or the other. Its a very vague question in my opinion and would depend on what I'm doing. Is it a minigame/infinite runner where accumulating experience is more of a side-effect for unlocks? Is it an RPG with a concrete start and end? Can we get a little more context?

Also, you might want to add a third option for "prestige" systems, where there is a max level but you can start over and keep track of how many times you've done so. They're an interesting in-between.

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 08:34:29 AM »

I see
sorry for lack of details
i'm fixing that

edit
I didnt added that option yet but damnnn it looks pretty interesting
Also, you might want to add a third option for "prestige" systems, where there is a max level but you can start over and keep track of how many times you've done so. They're an interesting in-between.

Is it like a New game + ?

I suppose the restart over number is infinite then ?

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 10:56:05 AM »

Is it like a New game + ?

I suppose the restart over number is infinite then ?

Its a very popular system in first-person shooters. Essentially, you go through a progression of unlocking all the weapons, skills, etc. Then when you reach max level, you can continue leveling by doing a soft reset: you go back to level 1 and go through the unlock progression again. Some systems have rewards for this reset or "prestige," like giving you an extra loadout slot or allowing you to permanently unlock one of your favorite options, but you also just do it for the fun of it. You still have something to do after you hit max level.

The advantage of this kind of system is that it allows you to have a tangible progression system that can be looped (that is, doesn't stop rewarding you after a max level.) The disadvantage is that you're technically undoing progress and, sometimes, the only reason to do that is for pride's sake.

Specifically with your example, I would probably avoid the "prestige" type of progression if its single player. My gut would be to go with an infinite level system.  If I've gotten really good at a game, I don't want to go back to using a vanilla character; its a bit different in multiplayer games like shooters because even with "weaker" weapons you can still outplay a human opponent. I would have probably much less interest in outplaying an arbitrary game mechanic.
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 11:20:51 AM »

Well thanks for that answer
And no , it's a single player , i'll try multiplayer one day maybe

And yeah you only fight an IA forever (i might have a story mode with an end maybe )
Point will be to defeat other people on the newgrounds rank online system by surviving the longest possible
IA is invincible , point is to survive

I plan something in the likes :

(that plan was set before making that thread )

Level 5+
Dash improv 1
Level 10+
Shoot improvement 1 (meaning cooldown less )
Level 20+
Double Jump
Level 30+
Shoot improvement 2 (nice cooldown )
Level 50+
Groundpound unlocked
Level 70+
SUPER improvement 1
Level 80+
Dash improv 2
Level 90+
FLOAT unlocked
Level 150+
SUPER improvement 2
Level 200+
Dash improvement final
Level 220+
Final SUPER improv

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 12:30:56 PM »

And yeah you only fight an IA forever (i might have a story mode with an end maybe )
Point will be to defeat other people on the newgrounds rank online system by surviving the longest possible
IA is invincible , point is to survive
If leaderboard chasing is the goal, then I would definitely avoid any kind of reset. People will want to remain competitive. That being said:

I plan something in the likes :

(that plan was set before making that thread )

Level 5+
Dash improv 1
Level 10+
Shoot improvement 1 (meaning cooldown less )
Level 20+
Double Jump
Level 30+
Shoot improvement 2 (nice cooldown )
Level 50+
Groundpound unlocked
Level 70+
SUPER improvement 1
Level 80+
Dash improv 2
Level 90+
FLOAT unlocked
Level 150+
SUPER improvement 2
Level 200+
Dash improvement final
Level 220+
Final SUPER improv

How easy is it to level up? Will there be any other improvements/unlocks between the ones stated there? Seems a bit spread out, and it could also make it hard for newcomers to be competitive with well-established players.

Again, this is all just speculation on my part.
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 12:51:25 PM »

Level up will be long
I think going there
I mean i will do it long or try

But every proper play is giving you an xp for example , all you have to do is to stay until you die (reloading before is not a good idea and it will prevent spammers and smart asses )

It will be long if you play it regular , like playing -> dying and submitting your score.
There will be Bonus Actions to get masses bonus XP + in the game
Like savings random birds in the screen or catching Butterflies (Items ) or surviving very long
Saving a bird is to touch them , nothing else so a simple action
Defeating a minibosse (complex action ) or winning some events (not sure about this for now )

So there will be secret moves , hard or easy to perform to get Mass bonuses raise.(those actions raises the score a bit too )
So players who look around , vary gameplay and tries many different stuff will be rewarded.

Now you say a good point for new players incoming
I have to think about it
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:59:30 PM by airman4 » Logged

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 03:50:49 AM »

After thinking long time
I'll make a quick mode story , probably mandatory or that mode will be unlocked after getting a certain level xp

Cause i want people to have basics moves before playing it

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic