Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:31:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDuped - Action/Puzzle Platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Duped - Action/Puzzle Platformer  (Read 1740 times)
Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:36:26 PM »

Hey guys,
I'd love some people to help me playtest a game I've been working on for a while. It's called Duped. It's an action/puzzle platformer based around the core mechanic of creating / controlling clones.

Here's a trailer:

You can download the game at the link below! This is a build that's fairly close to completion, with only a few little things to fix. I'd love to get some general feedback on it, what parts you liked / didn't like, stuff like that! Thanks guys Smiley.

Latest version can be downloaded & tested here (windows build only)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:25:00 AM by Xorglord » Logged

Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:54:54 PM »

I've been working on improving the game feel of moving around a lot lately, so I thought I'd include some gifs so you guys could see what the game looked like.

Still looking for people to playtest!
http://xorglord.com/projects/duped/duped.zip

Artsicle
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 05:46:31 AM »

1. Maybe options on launch would be good (Example: Windowed or not, resolution, etc)
2. Another dynamic background layer (In the distance)
3. Co-Op Support

It's a really fun game by the way
Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 07:31:51 AM »

Hey, thanks!

I was originally building it for console, which is why there aren't any resolution options. I'll add some for PC builds though. Another background layer also sounds like a good idea.

Thanks Smiley.

keenPenguin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 10:48:14 AM »

Hey, I just played it, I thought it was really great! Loved the mechanical idea. I played up to the puzzle where a large amount of cubes are introduced, but I'd be happy to play more later. The game has a very Thomas was Alone feel (including the Piano music), but the jump on top of a fellow mechanics is very interesting! I like it. Curious what else is introduced further down the line.

Some suggestions:
1) I found the camera too rigid, it could lerp more. Also this may be useful, to see better what's in front of you.
2) It's weird that when you finish the level, the camera goes to the other cube. It's jarring, I think it should just fade to black when your player cube walks through the door.
3) Highlight the block which is currently active. When blocks are piling up it's not so clear.

Keep it up, this is really an interesting puzzle game.

EDIT: I played some more, really digging it. Nice level of polish, with the continue option, eyes moving in walking direction, etc. When I got to the "level select" screen (where it says hold right mouse to create) I wasn't sure what to do. Is it currently the end or did I miss something obvious?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:36:49 AM by keenPenguin » Logged

Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:54:54 AM »

Hey! Thanks for playing it Smiley.

Yeah, the hub world can be a little confusing to players at first - I'm working on adding some highlights / lighting cues so people can see where they should be headed a little more clearly. I'll bug check, but it should have said hold LEFT mouse to create. Try holding down the left mouse button for a few seconds and see what happens Smiley.

1) I've been meaning to watch this video ever since you mentioned it on your dev log. I'll definitely check it out!
2) The goal is to have players feel that they're leaving their cubes behind. I have been meaning to make it a little smoother though so I'll work on that.
3) There should be a darker border around the cube you're currently focused on. If it's too subtle I might need to make it more obvious.

Let me know if you keep going! Thanks for all the feedback :D.

DyingSilence
Level 0

That foreign weirdo.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »

So, essentially you've made a mashup between The Swapper and Thomas was Alone. As it is not a shameless clone, I'm not mad at this, you seem to bring your own ideas to the table.

Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 09:27:09 AM »

Yeah - I hadn't heard of either before I started, but the fact that it's clones of squares has drawn that comparison a LOT haha. Still haven't played either of those games yet - don't want to crib ideas.

Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 09:06:24 AM »

What cost would you have paid for Thomas Was Alone? I mean , $10 for 3 hours isnt bad. The guy who made it makes games for a living, so he had to price it at some amount of money. Im probably going to sell duped for something like $3-$4. If you arent willing to pay that, just hit me up when i release it and ill send you a copy for free.

keenPenguin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 09:57:08 AM »

Hey man, I tried it again but somehow I don't get the "level selection" level. When I left click and hold, I can throw a diamond which I can pick up again. There are diamond shaped cutouts on some of the doors, but somehow throwing the diamond in there does not work. I would need a pointer what to do next.

Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 10:01:07 AM »

Hehe ok. One of my tasks is to make this part a little more clear.
The crystals are coloured differently. If you're at the start, you're going to have the first crystal, which fits into the slot in the middle of the hub world.

This indicates to me I might need to make the colours a little more obvious. I could make the "correct" crystal spot glow a bit when you're trying to place it.

Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 09:41:06 AM »

Hey folks,
I've been working on this a bit over the past week or two (slow going while I'm on holidays). There have been a couple of changes. Some of the feedback I've heard in this thread has been incorporated.

I'm also working on adding lighting into the game (mainly so I can use it to hint things to the player a bit more naturally). This will probably be worked on this week & next, depending on how much time I get. Thanks y'all!

Latest version can be downloaded & tested here (windows build only)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:24:21 AM by Xorglord » Logged

Veilastrum
Level 0

Somebody

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 09:17:42 AM »

I'm not able to get the latest download link working. You got any alternatives or should I just try one of the older links?
Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »

Fixed it! Not sure why but it added a " to the link url when I coped it haha.

Veilastrum
Level 0

Somebody

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 09:32:23 AM »

Download link works now. I like the concept of the game. It's pretty fun. The game crashed on me shortly after I inserted the blue crystal though, not sure how that happened.
Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 09:35:42 AM »

Oh snap! Really? Haven't had a proper crash before. If you're down to help, could you grab the output_log file (which will be in the _data folder that's in the same directory as the .exe). It should look something like this:

If you could copy paste that to Pastebin, it'd be really helpful. Try starting again and continuing, you should be able to keep playing from where you were up to.

Veilastrum
Level 0

Somebody

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 09:53:36 AM »

https://pastebin.com/NSUeXcyW
Here's the log.
Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 09:55:17 AM »

Awesome - thanks Smiley. I've noted this bug and will fix it up for next version!

RizeoftheSummonds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 08:34:35 AM »

Just based on the gameplay trailer, the game seems promising.

Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 11:00:05 PM »

Just thought I'd let you guys know - this game is now on Steam! It's releasing in a few days, but there is a free demo available to anybody who wants to try it out Smiley.

store.steampowered.com/app/712760/Duped/

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic