Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:18:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)[Help/Inputs] RPG Turn-based movement paths?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Help/Inputs] RPG Turn-based movement paths?  (Read 672 times)
oturtmurr_
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2017, 10:56:04 PM »

Now i'm working in the GM:S environment, but C/C++ and Unity is totally accepted, i just want to get the jist of the concept. The title may not provide any info, but here's what i'm basically trying to ask.

Example: http://imgur.com/IC01WZN { Mario & Luigi: Dream Team }

What method would be used to achieve turn-based pathing; after the character selects his opponent(oEnemy), he walks towards oEnemy, proceeds to jump (which i can only predict that it's some sort of scripted path - which moves and eases the player in some sort of arc) and stomps on said oEnemy - causing the character to flip and land back to his original point.

It's something that i'm sort of confused of, and i'm wondering if you guys had any ideas of how to approach it in the language environment your using.

2. How would the oEnemy make their own movement towards oPlayer?

Example: http://i.imgur.com/iDFYMQJ.gifv

With this one, a set of random enemies will be give to fight for every encounter of an overworld enemy. So now we have enemies attacking the player vice versa. With every other different and dynamic enemy? My sort of idea are DS maps and lists (GameaMaker Studio) for the random set of enemies and chance variables.

But mainly, what kind of methods could be used to approach a turned-based battle system like this?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 03:36:37 AM »

I'd probably just put a marker on the enemy where Mario should jump to and then calculate the rest on the fly. It's a mostly straight path so it's not heavy maths.

Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 08:07:18 AM »

You might also need to know the width of the enemy so that Mario doesn't clip through when he's jumping on a big enemy, but you could probably just solve this by having him start his jump fairly far away and jump forward. It looks like that's what they've done in M&L.

For the enemies approaching the player, all the enemies in M&L do is go to the depth of the player. They just run up until they're in front of the player, then attack.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic