Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:20:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBushiden - Cyber Ninja Action Platformer with Exploration Elements
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Bushiden - Cyber Ninja Action Platformer with Exploration Elements  (Read 14587 times)
pixelarcstudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 03:43:14 PM »

woah! everything about this is so my jam. how much inspiration are you taking from Strider? and if so, which does it resemble most in terms of gameplay progression: single levels like 1, split into stages like 2?   

Glad that you are excited! There's some inspiration from Strider, but I wouldn't say that is the main influence. As far as gameplay progression is concerned... There is a prologue level. Once that is completed there are 6 levels that you can complete in any order that you choose. Clearing a level grants new abilities. You can revisit levels that you've already completed and gain access to new areas of the level using your upgraded abilities. Once you've cleared the initial 6 levels you unlock the 7th and final level (not including the prologue). So... sort of Mega Man meets Metroid, but with a segmented world  Grin Also, it is possible to complete the game with doing any backtracking or revisiting any previously cleared level. You'll miss out on a bunch of cool stuff if you play through the game that way though!

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »

BTW after I first saw this post I literally booted up Stryder and it was awesome. I can't wait to play this! I know it will be it's own thing but you guys really did an amazing job of catching the flavor of Stryder, which is great because it is a wonderfully unique game that really hasn't been revisted much in other games that I can think of.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 01:04:12 AM »

woah! everything about this is so my jam. how much inspiration are you taking from Strider? and if so, which does it resemble most in terms of gameplay progression: single levels like 1, split into stages like 2?   

Glad that you are excited! There's some inspiration from Strider, but I wouldn't say that is the main influence. As far as gameplay progression is concerned... There is a prologue level. Once that is completed there are 6 levels that you can complete in any order that you choose. Clearing a level grants new abilities. You can revisit levels that you've already completed and gain access to new areas of the level using your upgraded abilities. Once you've cleared the initial 6 levels you unlock the 7th and final level (not including the prologue). So... sort of Mega Man meets Metroid, but with a segmented world  Grin Also, it is possible to complete the game with doing any backtracking or revisiting any previously cleared level. You'll miss out on a bunch of cool stuff if you play through the game that way though!
what you are describing is the gg shinobi 1 and 2 which you and every other person on this web site should play
CosmicCrystal
Level 0

// GalactaGirl // HellStar Squadron //

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 01:32:50 AM »

Unbelievably good art. Action looks like it will be fluid as hell. Need this injected in my veins nowwww.

pixelarcstudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 05:50:25 AM »

Thanks, guys! Yes, the gameplay is quite fluid. 60 fps and the engine/code does not introduce any input lag. There is a lot of animation priority (currently only the slide animation can be cancelled), but I've written all of the code so that (valid) input results in a response the same frame that it is registered in all cases  Grin

pixelarcstudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 06:59:05 AM »

Bushiden forest area:

Eskema
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 09:06:40 AM »

This looks damn good. I will be waiting for the release Smiley

Senior developer
pixelarcstudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 05:44:10 AM »

Just wanted to post an update for those interested. We have kind of gone quiet, but we are hard at work on the game. Our timeline has changed (in a good way), so there should be more updates and media coming soon!  Grin

pixelarcstudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 07:06:11 AM »

We've been busy at work refining combat systems and tweaking combat animations. Here's a look at the Bo Tech Summon attack:

pixelarcstudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 06:37:58 AM »

Working on finalizing the camera programming and tweaking the parallax layer scroll speeds. I think it's close, but not quite there yet. The camera probably needs to be a bit "smarter" when the player is traversing vertical environments. I think visibility for the y-axis is currently an issue.

fireboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2017, 08:28:07 AM »

Awesome graphic! I hope the same in the gameplay to buy it ^^ Gentleman
Good job!

pixelarcstudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2017, 08:49:40 AM »

Awesome graphic! I hope the same in the gameplay to buy it ^^ Gentleman
Good job!

Thanks! We are working hard to make sure it plays as good as it looks Wink

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2017, 11:27:32 AM »

Working on finalizing the camera programming and tweaking the parallax layer scroll speeds. I think it's close, but not quite there yet. The camera probably needs to be a bit "smarter" when the player is traversing vertical environments. I think visibility for the y-axis is currently an issue.

is the movement speed final?
pixelarcstudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 11:36:42 AM »

It's not. We'd love to hear some feedback if you have any!  Smiley

stewiepixels
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 01:42:52 PM »

this is goddamn beautiful. oh.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2017, 04:24:07 AM »

i know you don't want to lean too heavily on strider, and the kinetics of your run cycle aren't super fast like something like strider 2, but right now it feels a little slow. i would maybe bump your horizontal speed up 25 to 50% to test what feels right
pixelarcstudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2017, 07:03:56 AM »

i know you don't want to lean too heavily on strider, and the kinetics of your run cycle aren't super fast like something like strider 2, but right now it feels a little slow. i would maybe bump your horizontal speed up 25 to 50% to test what feels right

Interesting. We can take a look at the movement speed, but the player is already moving around 180 pixels per second. Which is definitely on the higher end of x-axis movement for games of this type. We'll play around with it though and see how things feel Wink

fskn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2017, 07:55:18 AM »

(A little late, but) I would have to agree with Superb Joe. The ninja does seem too slow.
I don't want to ask you to remake his walk (as that could have a huge impact on your development, influencing not just this character), but making shorter (besides faster) steps might help.

I'd expect an overall speed of about as fast as the camera movement in 0:05.
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2017, 11:37:52 AM »

That run cycle is so crazy people will remember your game by it! Also the jump cycle is pretty darn good. Landing looked a little rough compared to the initial jump frames, but wow  Kiss
pixelarcstudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2017, 05:13:50 AM »

Hey, guys! Thanks for the feedback and the kind words! Do you think the the movement looks slow in the game play video (you can find it in the first post)?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic