Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:47:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProteus
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Proteus  (Read 49359 times)
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2011, 11:48:21 PM »

Pre-preview test build coming soon!

deathtotheweird
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2011, 12:34:15 AM »

just saw someone link the Proteus build on twitter and I played it. Really lovely atmosphere and music. I wasn't too sold on the graphics when I saw screenshots but in-game it actually looks quite nice.

I would really want to see more of this. I do love exploration games (one of my favorite parts of Shadow of the Colossus was just running around on my horse) and this looks like it could be really great.  Beer!
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2011, 01:20:58 AM »

Hi, thanks! My, um, "release strategy" is all over the place at the moment. Anyway, I might as well post it here too, as that was what I was intending before GDC scrambled my brain (in a good way):

Pre-GDC version download

The plan is to add a load of new content (creatures, magical locations, regions, music, [CLASSIFIED]) and release this year.

My personal plan is to go fulltime indie/freelance so that I actually have time to do this! I might be doing some pre-order/crowdfunding scheme to help get it off the ground.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2011, 01:41:50 AM »

hooray!

oh my shit this is too damn nice  Kiss

It's like I'm exploring a sound made of places.

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2011, 06:49:16 AM »

I saw this on screenshot saturday a while back and wondered what it was! SO downloading this right now.  Grin

Edit: This is exactly how i imagined it to be! The ambience is brilliant, i love the fact that the weather effects actually come from the clouds. I spent some time just staring off out to sea when snow was falling. Beautiful!

The effect for speeding up time is great too, i enjoyed watching rainclouds speed past on their merry way.
The only thing that confused me a bit was changing seasons, are the things you stand next to graves? Epileptic
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:16:08 AM by Nugsy » Logged

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2011, 08:26:13 AM »

Oooo, very atmospheric.

I'm a little disappoint that the cat avatar was taken out though.  Concerned
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2011, 08:56:56 AM »

Very atmospheric. Loved experimenting with standing in different areas and just listening.

Found a few lone fireflies, a few of the nervous little horn players, a couple of glowing stones and a house that was the only thing that disappointed me by being hollow and unsolid  Undecided

Also, I just kept exploring but the seasons never changed, and it only rained once right before I touched a stone and it faded away.

But I spent a lot of time just walking all the way around the island. Very cool stuff. Can't wait to see what else appears.  Smiley

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2011, 03:24:50 PM »

Xion - thanks, and thanks for the boxquote Smiley
Nugsy - cool, glad you liked it! The stones are meant to be this sort of thing.
Ben Hurr - sorry about the lack of cat! He's originally from a different (unfinished) game, and was temporarily in an early iteration of this game, and his artist is a busy guy! Maybe some kind of cameo could be arranged..
Hangedman - nice, i like hearing what people did! Sorry about the house, i need to fix my collision code. If there's time, I want to make it so you can visit the inside of houses; nice in a cold winter. It sounds like you did find the season change... when you touch the "active" stone and it fades out, that's done it.

Overwhelming feedback from this version is that the season change is very easy to miss, in several ways. If you keep wandering after the fade-to-black and get to daytime it's more obvious, and even more so in the third/fourth season. It's better on the current version, but it's currently not in a good state as I'm in the middle of chucking some experimental stuff in.

----
[Oh, I downgraded the progress bar a bit to reflect the slight growth in scope after chats during GDC]

Sakar
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2011, 05:45:26 PM »

Very nice atmosphere. Really looking forward to see what else you add to this.

Noticed something weird on the season with the colorful trees (autumn?), I saw semi-faded stars above what looked like a giant screen-facing quad with a gradient on it. I was right on the edge of rainy clouds if it helps. Can't seem to reproduce it though
deathtotheweird
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2011, 05:56:50 PM »

ya I thought they were gravestones as well.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2011, 06:04:22 PM »

I sent this to my cousin earlier and he said that he could only collide with objects when he sprinted. Thought this might help you debug. Hand Thumbs Up Left

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2011, 12:57:33 AM »

Sakar - That sounds weird... if you feel like reproducing it, you can use F9 to take a screenshot (and screenshots before/after would be good too) and either post here or email me (ed1key [@t] gmail [d.ot] com). That would be really useful! Smiley
allen - I don't mind if people think they're gravestones. The type of stone I designed them as is fairly obscure! I will probably improve them a bit though, we'll see.
Nugsy - thanks! That is kind of the oppositre of what I expected... It's a bit weird, I think I just need to rewrite the collision, it's totally random whether ot not it works Sad

Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2011, 05:01:51 AM »

This thing is still a thing!  Kiss

A bit of criticism: I think that the draw distance is too short, It feels like I should see more of the island when standing on a hill. Also the detail pop-in is really noticeable.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2011, 12:50:49 PM »

A thing indeed Tongue Thanks!
I will try and take a look at expanding the draw distance once some more content and features have gone in. "Optimisation and LODing" is a task on my list, so once that is done it should be safe to increase the view distance. In fact, in the final version I should probably make it a setting on an options screen.

EchoP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2011, 10:40:28 PM »

Hi Ed,

I have been quite pumped about Proteus for a long time now, and I absolutely love what you just released. The atmosphere and the music of it are amazing, really awesome stuff.

The LOD and pop in are a bit rough, and the mouse movements feel very unnatural to me, but definitely weighed out by the positives of it, great work!
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2011, 12:29:43 AM »

The LOD and pop in are a bit rough, and the mouse movements feel very unnatural to me, but definitely weighed out by the positives of it, great work!

Hi, glad you enjoyed it! Could you go into some more detail about the mouse movements? Too quick? Too smoothed-out and laggy? What system are you running it on?
And with the LOD/pop-up, do you mean the actual terrain-popping or the flowers appearing and/or anything else? (Those are the 2 obvious ones I can think of)

Haven't posted a screenshot here for a while, so here's a couple of non-standard WIP pics of the abstract cities and roads:

City by the beach:

(The red block is a temporary way of indicating which city it is from a distance, it will be more subtle Smiley)

A bug with signs/road-routing

(The signs are generated from the roads, but in this pic it has gone a bit mad...)

By the way, if you just want to relax on a totally uncivilised island, the option will be there... either on the title screen or by travelling to another island, if I can get that to work someday.

Edit: Just recieved some city music tracks from David, it's awesome stuff!

EchoP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2011, 04:21:58 PM »

Hi, glad you enjoyed it! Could you go into some more detail about the mouse movements? Too quick? Too smoothed-out and laggy? What system are you running it on?
And with the LOD/pop-up, do you mean the actual terrain-popping or the flowers appearing and/or anything else? (Those are the 2 obvious ones I can think of)
Sure. The mouse movements felt way too sensitive to me, even a small mouse movement would result in a large turn. My computer is running at 1920x1080, W7.
My main issue with the pop in was trees. If you are standing below/near a tree and looking up, trees will often pop in and out of the view if they are in a corner of the screen. Again, might be to do with the resolution?

I also had no collision unless I was sprinting. But I am still discovering new stuff in the world, and still having fun, so no real complaints here.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2011, 02:35:20 AM »

You have a better PC or a more sensitive mouse than me Smiley
The mouse look is supposed to be quite smoothed out, so I probably need to add a mouse sensitivity setting AND make sure my mouse-smoothing is framerate indpendant, which it probably isn't.

The tree problem might be an error with object culling, but I can't reproduce it so far..

Collision is one of those jobs that I'm putting off for as long as possible, as I really hate that code for some reason!

Thanks again for the testing+feedback!

HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2011, 12:28:22 PM »

This game is beautiful.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2011, 07:32:15 PM »

This is pretty awesome, I like where you are going, the weather and the will-o-wisps are really nice touches. It was fun to just wander around and find stuff, go up to the rocks with the orange dots flying towards them and figure out what they did.

The framerate drops a bit when I take a look at dense cloud formations. The mouselook felt a bit weird then, which might have to do with the mouse smoothing code you talk about.

For collision I would either suggest putting in middleware (Bullet, ODE, PhysX, etc.) or use a bag of clever tricks. Because the terrain is pretty amorphous to begin with it is probably easy to just do sphere checks with trees or stones, made even easier by the fact that they are static so you can just build a quadtree and check only trees near a moving object. Buildings will be harder, if you don't want to actually model sphere->polygon collisions you can use big blobs of AABBs for super quick and easy, yet blocky and weird collisions if the buildings themselves are not blocky and axis-aligned. It's even easier to find cheats if you don't want the player to jump or be able to collide with a building from above. I understand why you are putting it off though, so far the game isn't very tactile, you kind of DO want to feel like you are floating around, observing.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic