Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1309848 Posts in 58640 Topics- by 49759 Members - Latest Member: ActuallyAGoat

August 22, 2017, 04:38:41 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Gatherer: An isometric Minecraft-esque building game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project Gatherer: An isometric Minecraft-esque building game  (Read 552 times)
ProgramGamer
Global Moderator
Level 10

"The programmer of games"

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 10, 2017, 03:49:51 pm »

Project Gatherer

Project Gatherer is a little isometric Minecraft-like game I started working on recently. It's about gathering things back to your homeworld, as the name implies, and involves traveling between worlds to collect the things you need to make your small home pretty and tidy.

The game will start you out on a small chunk of earth. From there on, you'll be able to teleport to different worlds via a portal to gather the materials needed to build and improve your humble abode. The purpose of this is twofold. Firstly, it eliminates the need to travel great distances to collect materials and items, since you can easily teleport back and forth between your worlds. Secondly, it prevents your home world from ever looking bad from constant mining and harvesting, as would often happen with a regular old Minecraft world. I also want to implement a greater deal of automation in this game than in Minecraft, to make sure that the focus of the game is building and maintaining your original home. I may add an option to expand existing world to make room for home expansion, but that would happen at a later date probably. In any case, I have many ideas for this little project, and I want to finish it someday, because I want to sell it for profit!
Hand Money Left Cheesy Hand Money Right

But not, like, selling out. I mean selling copies of the game to consumers.
 Who, Me?

Anyways, this is what the game looks like right now:

It doesn't look like much now, but it does have digging, movement, world saving, world loading and placement of blocks. The view often gets obstructed by nearby blocks, so the world gets cut in half to show your character right now. (This will change in the near future with a much better system.)

You can play a demo of it right now on Itch.io, since I want some feedback on what people like about it and what they expect from the game. Hope you enjoy!

The game is made with Game Maker Studio 2. It will probably have a web version if everything goes right, but I'm going to have to learn how that works, since I'm not super experienced with web development.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:03:08 pm by ProgramGamer » Logged

Zireael
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 01:27:10 am »

I like isometric graphics in general and the character looks cute!
Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 01:49:25 am »

I like the tone and aesthetic of the screenshot, but I can't play because I'm on mac. IS mac build coming ever?

eh
ProgramGamer
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 02:14:55 am »

Yes, but not soon. I basically need to copy my project to a mac computer to build it for macs, but the only apple computer I have easy access to belongs to my mom, and she doesn't like other people using it. I'd rather not ask to make a build until there's significant progress made.

Alce
Level 0

Twitter: @Alce_X

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 11:36:32 am »

Art style is really nice! Isometric looks good. Good to know you have a direction to set yourself apart from Minecraft, looking forward to future updates!

Aspiring chilean game dev. Likes artsy/experimental stuff.
Yamasakai
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 01:15:46 pm »

I like the art style and I have a deep love/obsession for isometric aesthetic in general so I will be watching your progress.

ProgramGamer
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 03:24:52 pm »

Hey, thanks for showing interest in the project! I'll make an effort to keep this topic updated.

D-Andrew
Level 0

Dreaming on 256x192.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 11:31:51 pm »

I love how it looks!!, pretty neat isometric and a fancy colour palette.

Following Smiley

|| Twitter || Facebook ||
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 10:37:39 am »

Hello fellow GMS user! Cool little game you got started. I'm curious how you plan on changing the view. Nice start!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic