Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411870 Posts in 69425 Topics- by 58474 Members - Latest Member: spdp

June 05, 2024, 07:28:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIndie RPGs You Want Covered on TIGS!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Indie RPGs You Want Covered on TIGS!  (Read 13005 times)
xenogia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 08:14:17 PM »

I think someone should mention A Blurred Line, if only for its status as the good rpg maker game. It's also, coincidentally, quite brilliant. Don't be turned off by its lack of any kind of programming or indeed graphical merit; the game ITSELF is a good 'un and I think anyone who recalls it will agree.

A Blurred Line was brilliant, it was such a shame he never made the next installment.

tok
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 05:08:23 AM »

Eschalon? There is a second book coming soon, I believe.

This one. Eschalon: Book 1 is really very good.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 06:16:33 PM »

Eschalon? There is a second book coming soon, I believe.

This one. Eschalon: Book 1 is really very good.

Yeah it is. I remember playing the demo awhile back and not being to impressed with the game but then I picked it up again and I am glad I did. I am buying Book 2 in a heartbeat when it comes out later this year. If anyone here hasn't played it yet you really need to especially if you are a fan of old school rpgs.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Lyx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 02:23:03 PM »

It would seem that Elona ( http://homepage3.nifty.com/rfish/index_e.html ) hasn't been covered at all, neither on the frontpage nor in the database.

What is it? Well, on first sight, it just seems like another graphical roguelikes with anime-style graphics. It is however in many ways a very unique game:

- large overland world and multiple cities and dungeons
- mix of fantasy and scifi content
- has a lot of content which you would usually expect from a MMORPG: You can own your own house, shops, museums, castle and more - and you can outfit and design them down to every minor details. There is crafting, guilds, arenas, and more - just to remind you in case you forgot it by now: this is a singleplayer roguelike!
- ability to get additional companions - either by making friends, by hiring them, or by forcing them via magic.
- there are many other heroes like you in the gameworld, and you can interact with them.
- ah yes, there's also trading
- and more varied random quests than is usual in a roguelike
- also includes postapocalyptic-style game elements. Just interprete the "etherwind disease" as "radioactive radiation" which causes mutation, and there you go.

So, its more like a mix of elite sandbox gameplay + life-sim + rpg + roguelike, instead of "just" a roguelike.

Where's the catch?

Well, the catch would be that even though there isn't really anything important missing in the game, and no frequent bugs, it shows that its still in heavy development, and that its done by a one-man-army.... there are difficulty and balance issues all across the board, and the companion AI really is stupid and has some defects (though, that supposedly is gonna change in the next versions). Also, learning and using magic really is a pain right now, so if you try the game, then better dont start a caster. Still, if you sadly miss a well worked out "adventurer mode" in DF, then you will get something similiar to that much earlier in Elona, than it will appear in DF.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 03:30:40 PM »

Wow, this sounds amazing I am going to have to check this out right now. btw I have only played the DF adventurer mode once before and it seemed like it moved very slow, is that just how it is our was it something to do with my computer perhaps?

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Lyx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 04:19:09 PM »

DF isn't a game - its a matrix :-P

What i'm trying to say is: Even though DF is low-tech on the visual end, it does all kinds of calculations in the background. When you move in an area, the entire rest of the world as well "moves". This usually isn't the case in typical games: only the area in which you are currently "is running" - the rest of the world at best only changes on the macroscopic scale, not on the microscopic level. Phrased differently: In other games than DF, then only the beings in your location act - the rest of the world is basically frozen. Thats much easier on the resources Smiley

DF may run a bit faster if you play in a smaller world, not sure.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Malefact&view=playlists

i found these let's plays of what seem to be four indie rpgs i never heard of before

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 04:54:00 AM »

The Way is an indie RPG made in RPG Maker. I've played the first episode of it. I found it fairly interesting for an RPG Maker game, but I had mixed feelings about it. I would have had to play a couple more episodes to form a worthwhile opinion, I think.

Tower of the Sorceror looks like an indie RPG as well, though at the same time, it looks kind of awful. :D Oh well.

Sylvan Tale was apparently developed by Sega in the 90s (so, uh, not indie).

Assassin Blue is indie, but it isn't really an RPG--it's a side-scrolling action platformer with some puzzles and swordplay. It's pretty neat, actually, but IMO, not an RPG.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 04:59:51 AM »

yep, i just watched the assassin blue let's play (it's great), will watch the others next. was assassin blue ever covered in tigs? if not maybe i can add it to classics week or something.

PaleFox
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 07:45:05 PM »

I'm sure a lot of people know of Jeff Vogel's RPGs, Exile and Avernum and so on. Blades of Exile is less known, which is odd because - since he open sourced it - it is free, and also because it's great. Essentially, it was a tool to allow the creation of Exile scenarios, it came with a few already made by Vogel but frankly some of the actual ones are better than his Shrug.

Since it's open source, development is hard to keep track of, but here probably is the best bet.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 07:46:34 PM »

already on my to-review list for classics week

xenogia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 09:39:31 PM »

The Way is an indie RPG made in RPG Maker. I've played the first episode of it. I found it fairly interesting for an RPG Maker game, but I had mixed feelings about it. I would have had to play a couple more episodes to form a worthwhile opinion, I think.

Tower of the Sorceror looks like an indie RPG as well, though at the same time, it looks kind of awful. :D Oh well.

Sylvan Tale was apparently developed by Sega in the 90s (so, uh, not indie).

Assassin Blue is indie, but it isn't really an RPG--it's a side-scrolling action platformer with some puzzles and swordplay. It's pretty neat, actually, but IMO, not an RPG.

The Way is definetly worth playing, it gets better as you progress.  So it's definetly worth checking out.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 11:37:29 PM »

(

and more)

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 03:24:57 PM »

Just to clarify the thread's title: by "Covered" I mean "to publish a report of," not "to conceal from view." Tongue

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 05:24:21 PM »

Wow, Elona. I just downloaded and played it, that's gotta be the nicest graphical roguelike ever. I remember getting into a game called IVAN awhile back, but somehow, when there is an overworld, final death feels too frustrating.

I used to play nethack quite a bit but the thing with nethack is that you can play it fairly quickly, so final death doesn't feel too bad. Somehow adding an overworld changes the pacing too much, so final death is no longer reasonable.

Elona is amazing! I definitely lost some sleep last night over this one...
Fuzz
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 07:30:24 PM »

Interview with Lun Calsari, maker of The Way: http://www.playmagazine.com/index.php?fuseaction=SiteMain.Content&contentid=1708&page=2
Cevo70
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2009, 08:56:26 AM »

I just got through playing Light's End, which is the first RPG for XBLIG that I highly recommend (there's very few in general). 

It's light on combat (there is none actually), and only about 4-5 hours,  but has a really cool character-switching mechanic, great writing, and a nice old school look (costs 200MP).

More info: http://www.xblcg.info/game/lights-end
My review: http://www.smallcavegames.blogspot.com/

And then my project (below) is an action/RPG - still in the works obviously, but wanted to throw my hat in the ring. 

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:04:49 AM by Cevo70 » Logged

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2009, 09:42:36 AM »

Feyna's Quest -- http://eldwood.com/feyna/quest.php

I heard this game compared to Eternal Daughter somewhere. Worth a look, I think!

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2009, 06:35:11 PM »

PARPG (Post-Apocalyptic RPG)--An isometric-view, post-apocalytpic RPG project in the vein of Fallout. It looks ambitious--maybe too ambitious. Hopefully this project doesn't get sunk by too high of an idea-to-manpower ratio.

http://blog.parpg.net/

Awesomeness
TIGBaby

When I'm sad, I stop being said and be AWESOME.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2009, 10:04:02 AM »

Elysian shadows, it's being developed in C++.
The engine is (apparently) just about finished, and the art and music are being done now.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic