Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:11:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 39 [RUNNING OUT OF POWER] (July 28-31)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 39 [RUNNING OUT OF POWER] (July 28-31)  (Read 12972 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2017, 10:55:06 AM »

https://ldjam.com/

http://ludumdare.com/compo/

Theme suggestion has started, so creating the thread; this time LD is one month earlier than usual!

Hand Point Right Like last time, this LD will run on the new website. Hand Point Left
If you didn't last time, you'll need to reregister your account!

Website here: https://ldjam.com/

Semicopypasted explanation of LD from last thread:

LD is a game jam. You optionally vote for a theme in the days running up to the event, and then based on that theme or keyword you get 48 or 72 hours (plus a submission hour) to make a game!

48 hours is referred to as compo and 72 as jam and they have different rules—jam is more relaxed and you're allowed to work in a team—so make sure you read the rules on the website first.

When the time is up, a couple of weeks of playing games and rating/commenting them (only people who submitted their own games can do this) commences, and if you want to get ratings/comments yourself you need to do this.

You don't win anything beyond good ratings/comments at best, but it's fun and you always grow a little bit as a developer, as does your portfolio!

Remember that you need to host your game yourself—the LD website does not provide this. Also you need to make it work at least on web or Windows (I think?) to be allowed to submit your game.

The best properly official Twitter hashtag these days seems to be #LDJAM, even if you're doing the compo.

Great blog post from an earlier LD here on considering keyboard differences between countries and so on, and more to bear in mind!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:51:20 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 02:03:53 AM »

This game jam starts on the same day that the emoji movie comes out.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 03:31:50 AM »

Heard someone complain about it being the day of the Death Note movie. Tongue

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 02:05:42 AM »

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 02:22:36 AM »

ProBuilder 3D Unity plugin free to use during LD: https://www.facebook.com/probuilder3d/posts/1177491212357484

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 05:19:09 AM »

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 05:31:56 AM »

I would like to see the next rounds of theme voting
because i mostly dislike the themes in Round 1. Sad
I'll probably not have time to participate anyway. Cry
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 05:34:59 AM »

Aww, just saw your comment saying so on the announcement post too. :c At least LD happens often!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 01:30:07 PM »

Theme voting round three is on!
https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/39/theme/3
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:41:55 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 10:00:06 AM »

I'll probably sit this one out since it overlaps with SuNoFES. Even though that has not gone to well so far, I still  want to see how far I manage to take it. Might code a bit on that during LD, just for the fuzzy feeling of company.

As always I will be looking forward to playing other peoples games (but not voting).

This game jam starts on the same day that the emoji movie comes out.

Forget that movie. It has to many characters.. literally. *badum pish*
(sorry, had to).
Gentleman

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 12:58:52 PM »

Wednesday night we’ll assemble the top 16 themes from Rounds 1-3. If you miss a round, don’t worry! Rounds stay open until the end, so just click the tabs.
Source: ldjam.com/news

Please vote for some good themes now! Hand Any KeyGrin
https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/39/theme
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 03:30:24 PM »

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »

I am ready to make another nonexistent LD entry!!!

PROCRASTINATION!!!

OVERREACHING!!!

OVERESTIMATING!!!

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

CoffeeToast Right

Seriously, though, LD is fun even if I've yet to make it through. I'm in.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 10:48:10 AM »

Marte ain't joining in this time, but Morten is, so once again a team of two for me! See you a couple of hours after it begins—will sleep through the night as usual before we get started. c:

JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 05:04:25 PM »

The theme is: RUNNING OUT OF POWER

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 06:19:03 PM »

Welp, this might be the first time I decide not to participate in Ludum Dare despite being able to.

The theme just doesn't inspire me. It doesn't help that I've done something very smimilar to it already in a past jam (running out of time), but I still don't have any idea what the heck I'd make with such a theme. The only thing I can think of is a game where you manage a power grid, and I don't exactly want to make a management game for a 48 hour jam, so never mind that. I'm just out for this one.

I was talking about this with other people today, but I wish Ludum Dare themes were curated somehow. Like, if they just took the most popular suggestions and mashed 'em together somehow to get something unique, then that'd be way cooler. It would prevent very simplistic and uninspired themes from making it into the comp too, which would help the whole event tremendously imo.

I dunno, I'm just not feeling it this time. See ya guys around November or something.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 07:12:51 PM »

Ugh, I'm having trouble coming up with a decent idea, too.

So far in the brainstorming I've got...

What counts as power?  Electrical/mechanical, magical/spiritual, political/influential, raw strength, money (is power)
Why is it running out?  It's slowly fading, it's being used/depleted
What do you have to do about it?  Ration it, restore it, finish an objective before it's gone

...But I couldn't come up with anything interesting from that.
I was trying to explore the idea that you're a plutocrat who literally throws money at problems to make them disappear (and the money is the "power" resource that's running out), but I couldn't think of a way to make it work, mechanically or thematically.
...or a Mario Kart game along those lines, which could be called Super Plutokart.
JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 07:26:51 PM »

The theme is so damn broad and generic... WTF

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

RedRoy
Level 0

Really Red

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 08:21:41 PM »

My friend and I are making a Chibi-Robo inspired game about a tiny robot that punches bugs. (World's most inefficient extermination service haha)

You have to manage a slowly draining energy supply, and when you take damage your battery might come loose and you have to chase it down.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic