Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:37:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsELOH - A minimalist puzzler
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: ELOH - A minimalist puzzler  (Read 2774 times)
jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2017, 03:52:03 AM »

ELOH is out now!!!

Link:
http://www.eloh-game.com/get

Hi guys,

I would like to present my new project to you.

ELOH is a minimalist puzzler that is inspired by the gameplay of Lazors and the style and mood of Klocki.
So, basically, I am trying to bring the Lazors gameplay to 2017 by adding a different style and new features to it.

Some screenshots and gameplay videos:

You can play the current state here: (till level 15)
http://www.psych-game.com/eloh/

I am more than happy to answer any questions about the project. Also, feedback is very welcome since I am working alone on this thing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:32:36 AM by jcstranger » Logged

Screen Head Media
Level 0

Digital games in all shapes and sizes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:54:43 AM »

Hey jcstranger,

that's a pretty cool game you got there.
You wrote it's in alpha, but it already looks very polished and promising Smiley

I like how the level elements create rythms as you play and by this every level has it's own short soundtrack.

The only things that confused me are the red blocks in the second video. As they are red, I would assume that they color the Balls red (right now it's the opposite). Also I think the color the balls are tinted in (kinda blue) has a poor contrast with the background color.

That's it for now, keep up the good work Smiley
jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 04:23:41 AM »

hey, thanks for your feedback.

The only things that confused me are the red blocks in the second video. As they are red, I would assume that they color the Balls red (right now it's the opposite)

I do understand the confusion. The reason is the following:
I have 3 different colours for blocks and for balls. What I want to achieve is that the player needs not only to find where he has to place the blocks to reroute all the balls, but also to place them so that the balls have the correct colour when meeting the respective goal.
If a block automatically transforms a ball into his colour, the only thing the player has to do is to always plays a block of that colour at the end of the route.
However, I agree that this is confusing and I will give it some additional thoughts. Maybe there's a better way to do this.

Also I think the color the balls are tinted in (kinda blue) has a poor contrast with the background color.

Yea I am aware of this one. Blue and green work well as block colours but are too subtle to work as "line filler". Going to do something about that.

OrinaryIndieDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 12:24:50 PM »

Looks and sounds amazing!
jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 11:12:13 PM »

Looks and sounds amazing!

thanks, glad you like it  Gentleman

pixeloori
Level 0

Programmers hate me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 11:46:48 PM »

Simple and elegant! One thing that I think that can improve the experience is to allow swapping of the tiles.

Let's just establish there is tile A and B. I want to move tile A into tile B's place, but I can't swapped them immediately, instead I need to move tile B away before I can place A into the tile B was at.

I like puzzle games and trying to make one. Check out Memoir -> https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=61694.msg1343165#msg1343165
Basil
Level 0

Starting more projects than I can finish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 12:41:12 AM »

Loved it, beautiful game.
jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 01:34:43 AM »

Guys, thanks for your feedback, really appreciated.

Simple and elegant! One thing that I think that can improve the experience is to allow swapping of the tiles.

Let's just establish there is tile A and B. I want to move tile A into tile B's place, but I can't swapped them immediately, instead I need to move tile B away before I can place A into the tile B was at.

That's a good point and could become quite handy once all 3 block colours are introduced. Once I have more levels that contain all the different blocks I will see if this is necessary.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 01:38:19 AM »

Looks really lovely! Going to have a play later.

jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 01:41:28 AM »

As stated in a previous post and thanks to Screen Head Media, I had to do some work on the colouring to have 3 colours that fit nicely and also have a nice contrast for visibility. Here is the result...

Screen for quality:

Gif for motion:

justincavenagh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 08:27:15 PM »

Just watched your Alpha footage. That is some really clever design. The beat mapping and implementation with the game play is on point Smiley

jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 07:35:29 AM »

New feature added: Sliders

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 05:03:25 PM »

Love the look at this. I'm not typically into puzzle games but this looks real cool.

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 01:37:48 PM »

very elegant design. I can't wait to play it  Grin

ezaudiolabs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 02:52:50 PM »

That's a really smart way of using sound design in order to make the player feel good about himself whenever he makes progress!

I can see myself getting addicted to this if you add some prog music and odd time signatures Cheesy

Great job!

Audio Director - Composer - Sound Designer

EZ Audio Labs : Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 05:00:28 AM »

Thank you guys for your feedback, helps to keep me motivated!

Last week I worked on some new elements that keep the game fresh.

You can see both of them in this gif:

One is some sort of black hole that diverts multiple streams by 90°, the other one is a immovable block that can be rotated by 180° to let a stream pass.

If you guys have any additional ideas, feel free to let me know

jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 07:52:45 AM »

Could need some feedback guys.

I did some new character designs today and I am considering to change the style of all chars to the new ones.

Marked with A are the new ones:

Shot:

Gif:

Reasoning:

Testers didn't mention the characters at all when playing. I believe they are too subtle to be noticed. It feels like there's still potential to improve the game's look and feel.
On the other hand, the old chars fit nicely into the minimalist design and the new ones could be "too much" or just not fit into the overall style.

Karin E. Skoog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 04:07:57 AM »

Really cool game! I'll definitely play more of it tomorrow (got to level 11 today). My only feedback so far is that it takes a little longer than I expected for the next level button to fill up (from the time I have the correct solution). Is there a particular reason it doesn't fill up faster?

Love the music and design!

A "digital nomad" indiedev, traveling across Asia! Globetrotting Blog

@GoldenMooseCo
@BorneoGame
@KarinESkoog
jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 11:37:25 PM »

Really cool game! I'll definitely play more of it tomorrow (got to level 11 today). My only feedback so far is that it takes a little longer than I expected for the next level button to fill up (from the time I have the correct solution). Is there a particular reason it doesn't fill up faster?

Love the music and design!

Hi Karin, thanks for your feedback.
Currently, I have only 12 levels in the demo Smiley
For the fill-up: I want to create a good feeling when you manage to get to the solution of the level. So, those few seconds should feel like some kind of reward in which you observe how the level looks and sounds like when finished. Maybe its a bit too long in some situations but that is still to be finetuned.

jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 01:36:12 AM »

Hey guys,

it has been quite for a while but a lot of stuff has happened.
I teamed up with the awesome guys from Salon Alpin, Scntfc and Broken Rules to bring
ELOH to the next level.
Unfortunately, I had to stop updating the devlog while in production but I still wanted
to let you know how it ended.

Here's how it turned out:

http://www.eloh-game.com

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic