Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 08:42:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessJump, the Netflix for indie games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jump, the Netflix for indie games  (Read 1269 times)
freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:12:06 PM »

“Think of it like Netflix,” company chief Anthony Palma says. “You go in there now and you get these very specific categories, like indie horror movies with strong female leads. That’s what we want to be able to do. So we will be able to serve up not only games that you particularly will like, but we're also gonna be able to resurface games. So just because your game launched in month three and now its month 12, it's not going to be buried and unfindable.”

What do you think about it?
Will it work?
(link)

My last game:

Supporter of
Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 10:16:58 AM »

I mean, it's a cool idea but I think a game streaming service is still an untested enough concept that people will be very wary. I'm not going to sign up at least until I see how it fares after it leaves beta. Interesting enough to sign up for the mailing list though.

openwater
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 05:22:14 AM »

I think it is an awesome idea - packaging indie games for large audiences who wouldn't otherwise have the time, energy or care to do the discovery themselves.

I'd imagine it's a win-win for the distributor / developers. Could also help introduce indie gaming to entirely new audiences. Definitely want to see where the project goes!

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 07:06:18 PM »

It's an interesting idea, but boy is the execution pretty poor. $10/mo ($120/year) is definitely too steep for what's on offer - just 60 indie games that you can't even install to your PC.

That same $120 could easily get you 60+ indie games if you spent it on bundles and Steam sales

I'd prefer something closer to the Audible model where your sub gets you their library, discounts, and tokens for 'free' stuff that you then own

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic