Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 11:16:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFatal Velocity: Physics Combat
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Fatal Velocity: Physics Combat  (Read 4128 times)
RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »

Hey everyone - I've been developing Fatal Velocity: Physics Combat with a programmer for the last 6 months on a part time basis! It's a multiplayer game heavily inspired by Super Smash Bros, Unreal Tournament, Tribes, Spider-Man and StarWars. Players use their "physics" weapons to thrash and smash other players into walls, kill traps or off the map entirely. These weapons also help you maneuver around the environment as well. Whether it's using the pull gun to tow yourself or drag and enemy to you. Grappling around like Spider-Man or latching onto an enemy and hurling em into the oblivion, charging up some devastating push orbs and knocking em out. The 5 physics weapons currently available weapons really allow for each player to choose how to approach their own playing style.

I'm really excited to be launching the Kickstarter campaign next month (Aug 15) attempting to get more help on the art, animations, marketing, sound and programming fronts.  I always hear the terrifying realities of not doing the marketing side so I thought I'd kick it into high gear a month prior to the campaign! I probably should have started this thread a while back since I've been doing vlogs every couple of weeks to show people progress throughout FV's life. It's a small team of 3 people which the artist just came aboard two weeks ago! If anyone wants to play the game you can download it from the website which link's below.

Couple Early Gifs!

RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:27:35 AM »

Hey hope everyone's weekend is going great! 
We overhauled the HUD and here are the results, the before and after.
Any thoughts to improve? We're always looking to make our work better.

New & Improved!

Old Placeholder (boo!)
RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 07:38:21 AM »

Hey hope you're all having a great week/weekend! Figured now that we're moving on to the prop/mesh placement for our first level I'd share some screens, see if anyone has any suggestions to improve the space port/hyper tram map! I'm going to start the lighting, attempting to bring focus to parts on the map and see what happens! 

Friday Progress!

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »

The visual / art direction is spectacular!

I don't know if you ever played World of Warcraft, but the most recent screenshots remind me greatly of "The Exodar."

The crystal-like, purple/pink atmosphere is simply to die for. Great work on that!

I'm intrigued by your "Super Smash Bros." influence, particularly because this is first person. This has the potential to be incredibly fun!ß

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »

Loving the looks of this but wow that FOV   Shocked
RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 06:53:35 AM »

Thanks! But what about the FOV needs improving? Or is it the way the arms are stretched out a lil? xD
TomFletcher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 11:40:57 AM »

This looks really fun, it reminds me abit of playing 007: Agent Under Fire on the PS2 as a kid. If I remember correctly, me and my friends would turn down the gravity in the split-screen multiplayer mode and battle each other while flying around the maps with grappling hooks  Smiley .

Anyway this looks great, are there any plans for a local split-screen mode? It always seems like crazy physics games are a good match for local multiplayer.

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 05:58:52 PM »

Oh it just seems like FOV is at 120 or something. The hands do look like they are being held out in a zombie like fashion a little bit. I know some people like wide FOV but it's a bit much for me I think.
RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 11:56:34 AM »

Oh it just seems like FOV is at 120 or something. The hands do look like they are being held out in a zombie like fashion a little bit. I know some people like wide FOV but it's a bit much for me I think.

Hehe I'm pretty sure the FOV is 100 but I'll see what I can do to make look less zombie like!

This looks really fun, it reminds me abit of playing 007: Agent Under Fire on the PS2 as a kid. If I remember correctly, me and my friends would turn down the gravity in the split-screen multiplayer mode and battle each other while flying around the maps with grappling hooks  Smiley .

Anyway this looks great, are there any plans for a local split-screen mode? It always seems like crazy physics games are a good match for local multiplayer.
Thanks! AOF was an aweeeesome game - my friends and I totally did that as well :D This is my first time making a serious game, so I can't say that I've considered that yet, however, now that you bring it up I'd be interested to see what the possibilities of that happening even are! Great idea!

RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 12:00:15 PM »

Playtest Footage #5

Hey everyone! We've been working really hard to try and polish the game as best as possible for the upcoming Kickstarter campaign, August 15th! Check out the latest progress and if you want to playtest let me know and I'll get you set up!

RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 05:54:45 PM »

Here's the best kill from Fatal Velocity to date and from the most recent playtest!

1) Pulling (towing) self across the floor to where the saber spawns
2) Jetpack up
3) Pull myself in direction of another player
4) Line target up
5) Midair melee strike resulting in OB kill!

YEAH!!!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 06:01:41 PM by RangePlusOne » Logged
RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 03:21:47 PM »

With the Kickstarter campaign approaching soon I felt it would be a solid idea to post before the campaign hits! So here's a little progress report on the last month and bracing for the Kickstarter campaign on the 15th of August!

RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 06:29:20 AM »

Since 2013 I've dreamed of getting Fatal Velocity to the point where I could be confident launching a promising Kickstarter campaign and we are almost there. The development of the game over the last 6 months part time (recently ramping up full) has been incredible. The amount of content being injected to the levels, the particles, programming, levels, art and so on has been absolutely unreal and given the team is extremely small (3 ppl) I can't be more proud of what we've accomplished.

However, I know when something doesn't feel right, and launching a Kickstarter campaign with 100 - 150 backers, going for $50,000 CAD wasn't the most ideal, so I called to postpone it last minute. I feel the next three weeks will be all marketing, emails and reaching out to as many people as possible to help get the word out there for a game that's not quite your typical FPS.

My TL:DR usually goes :: Spider-Man + Super Smash Bros + Extremely hazardous environments in a StarWars(ish) world = Fatal Velocity. I add a couple sentences or two to smooth things over from time to time but ultimately, telling people it's a first person physics arena based combat game where weapon manipulate your movement as well as the enemy's is a bit of a mouthful and kind of boring.

Needless to say the biggest thing I need right now is getting the word out there, my strategy? Social media content update (daily posts), reaching out to FPS streamers/YouTubers, specifically (Quake/LawBreakers/Tribes (if ppl still play)/Unreal Tourney, calls to action, getting feedback to make the game better and so on. We're at the stage where I could probably post something 2 or 3 times a day to fuel the threads and forums, but I'd rather make it quality than quantity.

Join our dev discussions! :: https://discord.gg/byaU2Df

I don't know what to expect over the course of the next 4 weeks, but I'm firing all guns now. I've wanted to get to this point since I graduated from the Art Institute of Vancouver in Spring of 2013. Now that I'm here - let's find out where it goes.

RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »

Just a small #screenshotsaturday update here! Hope everyone's weekend is going good!

RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 03:22:04 PM »

I've been waiting to have custom hand gauntlets/gloves
since the start of development! Here's the first gauntlet
(PUSH_) in-game and all ready to charge up and unleash
some devastating energy orbs!

RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 05:35:37 PM »

Hey everyone! Hope your weekend is going awesome!

I ran a little playtest that was supposed to be a quick 20 minutes, but it turned into an hour! Nothing wrong with having a good time while thrashin' 'n smashin' one another! Here's the latest playtest footage! I'm always on the hunt for playtesters so if you have any interest please let me know or join our Discord! https://discord.gg/byaU2Df

RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »

Hey everyone! I'm looking for playtesters to test a new map that will be a nice fit for 2 - 4 players. Essentially it's a bunch of floating islands that will slowly move around the center research base. 
Would anyone be interested? Here are some screens.

RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 07:21:26 AM »

Hey everyone! Here's a little gameplay from last night's playtest.
I was able to get 4 people to join in which we tested out the new floating
islands map and weapon modifications! I'm always looking for fresh eyes on
the game to find out how to make it better, so please join our Discord
channel if you'd like to join us next time! https://discord.gg/byaU2Df

ahmio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 08:04:04 PM »

This could be amazing if done right. Seems like a very high skill game.
RangePlusOne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 07:53:05 AM »

This could be amazing if done right. Seems like a very high skill game.

So far it seems we're hitting all the movement points :D New players usually take around 10 - 15 minutes to understand the game, but once they do they get it and start developing their own gear strategies. Whether they like the Spider-Man swinging or simply towing themselves, or going full on DBZ energy orbs. Usually they go for the Vortex magnetized projectiles, but there's always a way around every loadout.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic