Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:00:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[Update v0.80.0] Village Monsters - A Monstrous Life Sim Game!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: [Update v0.80.0] Village Monsters - A Monstrous Life Sim Game!  (Read 26639 times)
DuskedSky
Level 0

Jack of many trades, master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2018, 02:50:05 PM »

The new sprites are so cute!

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2018, 05:08:01 AM »

Dude the QoL tweaks you make with every update are excellent. Great stuff  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2018, 11:22:40 AM »

The new sprites are so cute!

Thanks!

Dude the QoL tweaks you make with every update are excellent. Great stuff  Beer!

A lot of it is because I love QoL in games, and when I think of the games VM is based on (like Animal Crossing), they are not known for quality of life, so it's even more tempting to make improvements

verdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2018, 01:51:20 PM »

Great concept Smiley

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2018, 03:27:44 PM »

Hello Villagers!

New demo coming July 30th

I've got big news to share! The next demo of Village Monsters - code name Summer Sherbet - is coming out on July 30th. And for the first time since last year this demo will be made available to everybody!

I've been working my butt off on this release since the end of spring, and it is by far the biggest and meatiest demo yet. I hope you look forward to visiting this little slice of village life at the end of July.

Onto the dev log!

Just Say the Word

It's one thing to write a bunch of words. It's quite another to actually implement them in the game.

The majority of the past two weeks has been spent adding dialogue to the game and making sure it looks and reads correctly. It's quite a bit of busy work, but it's also had benefits as it turns out some lines that seemed fine in my editor didn't have the same impact when spoken by the villager.

I've done as much editing as I have implementing, and I think that's a good thing.

Reading Rainbow

Speaking of words: bookcases can now be interacted with! Have fun browsing hundreds of titles.

Foraging

Foraging has been in the game for a long while now - in fact, it was one of the very first features I created - but it's always been a silly little placeholder system that wasn't very interesting. Until now.

Each season now brings its own thematically appropriate items to forage. Similarly, the items you can find in each part of the world are now different - you can find mushrooms in the forest, seashells on the beach, and vegetables at the farm.

Foraged items are also far less predictable in where and how often they grow, so you'll have to do some exploring if you want to make a hobby out of it.

Camera Woes

I really, really hate dealing with camera issues. You're probably thinking, "It's a 2D game - what camera?", but when it comes to pixel art you need to make sure you can scale your display without any kind of distortion or weird looking pixels.

This past week I ran into a doozy of a problem with scaling the UI, but there was a silver lining: the fix ended up solving a whole crop of other bugs. If you've experienced UI issues with past releases (such as the dialogue box disappearing, or the clock display getting cut off), then you'll be happy to know these are now fixed.

There's also a very real chance I introduced a host of other camera bugs. I think I must have broken a cursed camera when I was a kid.

Long Weekend

Unlike past demos, Summer Sherbet is not unlimited. You have just three days to get to know the village and its surroundings, so make 'em count!

There's at least one more dev log coming next week followed by a weighty patch list just prior to release. I'm so pumped for people to play this demo, so I'm going to stop writing these words immediately and get back to work.

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2018, 04:09:03 PM »

I love so many things about being a solo indie dev.

Creating trailers? Not one of them. It's so agonizing and time consuming and ahhhhhhh

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2018, 04:45:42 PM »

Alright, got a question for y'all

My original approach with dialogue was to allow you to talk to a villager a certain amount of times each day. These so-called 'talk tokens' would refresh at the start of each day, and the amount you'd get for each villager would depend on your friendship.

The goal was to allow you to talk with villagers multiple times a day without resorting to repetition or 'procedural' conversations. Between restricting conversations per day and my oft-discussed contextual dialogue system it seemed to work well

...until I play tested it some more. Then I saw the flaws. Players would find a villager, exhaust all their day's dialogue one after the other, and then move onto the next one. They were like cops interrogating a suspect.

That's behavior I certainly don't want to encourage, and it also eliminates a lot of the benefits of contextual conversations

So I've come up with a new design: keep the conversations-per-day restriction, but instead of refreshing all at once at the start of a day I'll instead 'drip feed' talk tokens throughout it.

But now I have a UI issue. I need to indicate to the player that a villager has something new to say. After all, it's not really fair to make you 'guess'. However, I'm worried that it'll look too...videogame-y? if that makes sense?

ok, enough preamble. Here's what I got:

Those little talk-y icons appear when they have something new to say, and disappear when they don't.

What do you think?

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2018, 08:00:29 PM »

But now I have a UI issue. I need to indicate to the player that a villager has something new to say. After all, it's not really fair to make you 'guess'. However, I'm worried that it'll look too...videogame-y? if that makes sense?

ok, enough preamble. Here's what I got:

Those little talk-y icons appear when they have something new to say, and disappear when they don't.

What do you think?
Hmmm ... I thought you were making a video game. Wink

If you do add something for "I have something new to say" then I think it's better to have a speech bubble.  It should work with the current three dots.

Also, seems like you haven't posted on KS, it'd be good to ask your backers since they'll probably have a better idea about what they'd prefer.  Wink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2018, 10:11:58 PM »

The dots work. If you wan't to make it less videogam-ey, you could try to make them look away if they have nothing else to say, and look at "you" again when they do (basically, look forward into the screen like here).

Think of it this way: what are the human body language cues for "I'm passively trying to avoid conversation"? Avoiding eye-contact is the clearest one I can think of.
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2018, 04:48:23 AM »

I like the dots! Not to get too in-depth, as with so many conversations / speech bubbles to coordinate, it may be almost too involved, but:

What if you had a few different speech bubbles (maybe three) for various purposes behind the conversation they're awaiting to have? In other words:

- a three-dot animation, like you have, for a "standard" conversation
- An exclamation point, or something similar, for a positive conversation (or a request, etc.)
- A dark cloud, or something similar, for a conversation that might not be such great news.

Again, maybe simple food for thought?

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2018, 07:25:17 AM »

Seeing them again, I think the dots read more "lost in deep thought about something, interrupting is a bit rude" to me (but they're very effective for that Tongue). And I think it's the animation that does that. Maybe you could try some variations in the animation and see which is best? I just tried these bouncing dots (could be smoother, but gets the idea across), maybe there are more options:

EDIT: added your original for easier comparison Smiley
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:30:38 AM by JobLeonard » Logged
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2018, 11:07:40 AM »

I like the dots! Not to get too in-depth, as with so many conversations / speech bubbles to coordinate, it may be almost too involved, but:

What if you had a few different speech bubbles (maybe three) for various purposes behind the conversation they're awaiting to have? In other words:

- a three-dot animation, like you have, for a "standard" conversation
- An exclamation point, or something similar, for a positive conversation (or a request, etc.)
- A dark cloud, or something similar, for a conversation that might not be such great news.

Again, maybe simple food for thought?

I really like tying the icon to the mood or disposition of the conversation. This would add a lot of personality

Aha! I like this a lot more. I agree with your analysis and I think a small change like this isn't distracting. I'll play around with it some

sand-bird
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2018, 07:29:13 PM »

Seeing them again, I think the dots read more "lost in deep thought about something, interrupting is a bit rude" to me (but they're very effective for that Tongue).

Yep, now I can't unsee it (although the bartender's expression definitely adds to the effect). The bouncing dots help, but I think a more speech-bubble-shaped icon would be just the thing to make those dots read as "talking" rather than "thinking".

Kind of silly that I never got around to posting in this topic until now, but I've been following Village Monsters since before I even had an account here. You've been a huge inspiration to me over the past couple years. So, yeah, just chiming in to wish you luck and success ❤️

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2018, 01:06:16 PM »

Hello Villagers!
The past couple weeks were so focused on the demo release that I went on a developer diary hiatus – but we’re back today, baby!

(Also, why not check out the demo if you haven’t already?)

You’ll notice a definite trend in what I’ve been working on this week: villager interactions. This’ll remain a major priority for probably the next month and includes things like player-involved conversations, quests, schedules, villagers interacting with the world alongside you, and more.

Let’s dive in.

Decisions, decisions…
Until now conversations have been a one-sided affair, but that’s changing with the addition of player choice in dialogue.

Do your choices matter? Well, sorta. They serve as a way to flesh out the personality of both your character and the villager, so there’s no risk of picking the ‘wrong’ option. Still, some options may be more important than others, so be sure to pay attention.

Talk to Me
The system governing when and how often you can chat with villagers has been improved. Villagers now gain new things to say as the day goes on, and they’ll even indicate when they want to talk via an icon above their heads.

No icon? Then they have nothing new to say right now so you can keep on walkin’, but check in with them later on.

Oh, Hello
If you’ve played previous demos you’ve hopefully noticed that villagers will occasionally say hi to you as you walk by. I liked this feature, but in truth it was pretty clunky and pulled from a tiny pool of generic things to say – that’s no good.

It’s been replaced in both look and function. Now each villager has their own things to say as you walk by that reflect their personality or situation. I’m also considering hooking it into the friendship system so that your relationship slightly improves each time you say hello.

The Landswill
You can sell practically anything at Pishky’s, but he’s a respectable merchant cat and has his standards. So what to do with all your failed cooking experiments, fished up trash, and other detritus that he won’t buy?

You head on over to your local Landswill, of course! Nobody knows where exactly Zabbal the Trash Hog came from, but he provides an important service by eating anything you put in his pen – no questions asked.

It’s worth checking out even if you don’t have anything to dump; you never know what you might find. As they say: one hog’s trash is another man’s new teddy bear.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 01:13:43 PM by Josh Bossie » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2018, 05:45:10 AM »

Oooh, Linux demo.. downloaded, I hope I'll find the time to try it (don't count on it though Shrug)
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2018, 07:28:40 PM »

Hah, I feel you, but I'd be very happy if you do!!

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2018, 10:35:44 AM »

Man, has it really been nearly 3 months since I posted here? I gotta stop dropping the ball.

This'll be a big month for ol' Village Monsters. A new and gigantic demo, rebanding including a better (actual) logo and new trailer. etc. etc.

But today? Today we're talking shrooms.

About a year ago I revealed what was then a new in-game hobby – Gardening. As I worked on the design I realized that while I knew what I didn’t want – I didn’t want it to be like Harvest Moon, and I didn’t want it to be just a mini-game – I couldn’t nail down what I did want.

With no clear vision the work on Gardening unsurprisingly stalled. Later this year it fizzled out completely and I considered just cutting it altogether.

Then one day I happened to be working on the village currency. I figured that monsters would be unlikely to use gold – that has way too much human baggage, right? – so I went with silver. Seems appropriately monster-y.

It was then that it hit me. Monsters wouldn’t grow turnips or flowers as hobby. Ridiculous! They’d grow mushrooms!

In this week’s dev diary I’m going to talk about this newly overhauled hobby.

Super Shroom

So you want to a Mushroom Gardener.

Well first you’re going to need some spores. You could buy them, sure, but you can also forage mushrooms out in the wild and use them in your garden.

Spores must be planted in a designated mushroom plot, but apart from picking a soil type it’s pretty low maintenance. You won’t need to water them or pick any weeds.

Instead of focusing on the more mundane aspects of growing I wanted to free up your time to instead work on the fun stuff – things like cultivating hybrids, discovering bizarre mutations, and cooking up all sorts of interesting effects.

Effects

You’ve already seen many examples of effects in the form of potions, but I’ve since overhauled the system so that any item has the ability to create some kind of effect. Mushrooms are now the primary way to access these effects.

Having trouble catching a fast critter? Bait your traps with a Snowberry Shroom and you’ll chill (and slow) the critter that eats it. Use your mushrooms in Cooking to make a meal that restores energy, makes you move faster, and slows down time.

(How can a mushroom slow down time? Ask you parents.)

There’s a huge amount of effects to discover. Some are practical, others are just weird. Some break the game. They’ve been fun to program and test, so I really hope you can enjoy them!

Breeding Hybrids
I love the idea of making plant hybrids. It’s like playing mad scientist, only instead of frankenstein you can make a seedless watermelon that resists the cold.

In the world of Village Monsters mushrooms as highly malleable. This means that a talented mushroom gardener can create brand new species with just a bit of effort. All you need are two fully grown mushrooms in the same plot as an empty tile. Then you just let nature take it’s course…………. if you know what I mean.

Mushroom plots always come in sets. So long as there’s both fully grown mushrooms and free spots in the set then hybridization is possible

The most practical benefit of growing hybrids is that the resulting new offspring can contain the attributes and effects of its parents. For example, a Spicy Shroom is a fast grower and it can pass down this benefit to its offspring.

There’s also breeding for aesthetics, like rare colors or glows effects. You can grow some pretty funky mushrooms, but some will require generations of hybrids to unlock.

Best of all you can usually process hybrids for their spores allowing you to plant your new strain indefinitely.

Mutation

There’s one other thing that can happen to your growing gardening – mutations.

Mutations are similar to hybrids in that they create unique mushrooms, but mutations are more unique, more bizarre, and certainly more unpredictable. Mutations also don’t require a ‘parent’ mushroom and can occur to any mushroom that’s still growing.

You can influence mutations by the type of soil you use and some unique upgrades. Like hybrids you can usually grab the spores from your newly birthed creation to permanently add it to your garden journal.

I’m considering adding a touch of procedural generation to get some truly weird mushrooms that even I can’t predict, but that might have to wait for a future free update.

That’s enough mushrooms for now. You’ll be able to play with them yourself when the next demo releases later this month.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2018, 11:26:56 AM »

Breeding Hybrids
I love the idea of making plant hybrids. It’s like playing mad scientist, only instead of frankenstein you can make a seedless watermelon that resists the cold.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scientists-discover-why-fungi-have-36000-sexes-1119181.html
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2018, 11:33:49 AM »

so it's Harvest Moon but with 'shrooms?

On a more serious note, I love hybridization and mutations!
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2018, 04:35:22 PM »

There’s no way to actually prove this, but I’m pretty sure more people have played fishing mini-games than have actually gone fishing.

You can fish in Zelda, in Nier, in Red Dead Redemption 2, in Pokemon, in Deadly Premonition, in Torchlight, in Yakuza. You can hardly walk into a Gamestop without tripping over a pile of rods and tackle boxes.

And of course fishing is especially prominent in life sim games like Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, and Stardew Valley. Village Monsters is no different – fishing was one of the first hobbies I added to the game.

There’s a lot to draw inspiration from, and if it seems the tone of this post is overly negative it isn’t because I don’t like fishing mini-games… it’s because of how intimidating they are! With so many different standards and expectations there are almost too many  options, and this left me feeling paralyzed when designing the system for my game.

The good news is I’ve finally settled on a system, and I’m super excited to talk about it.

But first let’s talk about how bad of a designer I am.

Failed Prototypes
I prototype every feature – often before I even analyze or document it – and fishing was no different. In a lot of ways prototypes are ‘meant’ to fail (seeing what doesn’t work is more valuable sometimes than seeing what does), but my fishing prototypes took the word ‘failure’ to a whole new level.

My very first prototype was similar to what you find in Breath of Fire. You’d be presented with a side view of the body of water you’re fishing in and your goal was to guide your hook to a fish and reel it back to shore.

1st Prototype, 2017

It was… fine. It was certainly unique compared to my contemporaries, but the more I played with it the more I realized this wasn’t necessarily a good thing. It was equal parts clunky and  boring, and I scrapped it shortly before the Kickstarter.

The prototypes that followed were all over the place. I experimented with “fish HP” and “rod HP”, I put in timed button challenges, I tried out things like line strength and fish stamina and generated all sorts of random numbers.

Another fishing prototype
I wanted to capture the full cycle of fishing – the relaxation of waiting, the excitement of hooking, the struggle of reeling in a big one – but nothing I tried was working. You might even say I was floundering… heh… heh… ugh.

Then one day inspiration struck. Perhaps it was Poseidon himself that whispered in my ear, or perhaps it was that 4th Monster energy I just drank. Whatever the case was, the outline of fishing should look like revealed itself before me anchored by three words…

Dash, Mash & Clash
Fishing in Village Monsters can be broken up into three distinct phases which I lovingly call Dash, Mash, and Clash.

After casting your line in a body of water the music dims and you can let your mind wander as the outside world fades into the periphery – that is, until a fish bites. That’s the Dash, referring to how you must quickly hook the fish before it gets away.

After hooking the fish it’s time to Mash, which is exactly what it sounds like. Your job is to reel in the fish as fast as possible. There’s no subtlety required, so mash that reel button as hard as you can. A little fishing meter tracks your progress.

Of course, most fish won’t be too pleased about the hook in their mouth and they’ll often try to fight back. This leads to our next stage, Clash, which finds you being challenged with a series of button prompts as the fish attempts to get away.

If you miss a prompt then you’ll start losing the progress you made reeling the fish in. Miss too many and the slippery fish will make their escape..

However! If you manage to get a “Perfect” during this stage then the fish’s defenses are shattered which makes it much easier to reel in. This gives the clash stage a high risk / high reward component and acts as a test of skill compared to the previous test of stamina.

These two stages cycle back and forth until the fish is caught or gets away. How often they cycle and for how long depends on the fish. Easier or smaller fish need less reeling in while legendary fish require several clashes before they submit.

And there you have it! Fishing is finalized in forthcoming folly, Fillage Fonsters.

What’s Next?
Finalizing any gameplay mechanic is sorta like writing the 1st draft of a story – it’s a great feeling of accomplishment, but there’s lot of editing and polish to do.

Now that I have all these levers and nobs to play with it’s time to give each fish a “personality” – heavy fish that are hard to reel in, fish with extremely quick ‘hook windows’, and so on.

There’s also an entire range of possibilities for upgrades: lures that attract fish faster or rods that make reeling in easier. Then I can start looping back into other parts of the game, like a potion that slows down the clash stage, or a mushroom that attracts rare fish when used as bait.

You’ll be able to play with the new fishing system yourself once the latest Village Monsters demo hits later this month.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic