Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1352541 Posts in 62401 Topics- by 54120 Members - Latest Member: JamesLewisWhite

December 10, 2018, 09:45:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRoblet Land - A 2D robotic pet simulator!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Roblet Land - A 2D robotic pet simulator!  (Read 4341 times)
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2017, 09:42:02 AM »

Roblet Land is a virtual pet simulator and platformer hybrid. Though, overall it won't be too focused on platforming. Its main inspiration is the Chao Gardens from the Sonic Adventure/Advance games.

It is still very incomplete, but I figured I'd make this topic, as there is still a bit I can show off and I have been making a lot of progress on it.

I plan to make this game different from the Chao Gardens as well, and it already sort of is in some ways. For now, I've just been trying to make as much progress as possible.

The Game's Plot (subject to change):

Across multiple dimensions, portals have been discovered, which all lead to a mysterious land unlike no other. No humans or animals live there. On planet Automatopia, the company Electriware, famous for their household robotic pets known as Roblets, decides to build a petting zoo in the mysterious dimension. Naturally, they name it Roblet Land. The company holds a robot building contest, stating that the 4 winners can access the park early, for the price of having to help prepare it for opening. Technic, Rop, Rachael, and Chromer are declared the winners of this contest. They then travel to Roblet Land to help prepare for the park's launch.

Support the Patreon here:

https://www.patreon.com/turbowavegames

Keep in mind, this game is a heavy work in progress, so the screenshots do NOT represent the final game.

You can visit these links to keep up with the game's progress:

http://starturbo.deviantart.com/
https://discord.gg/gExdjuj
https://www.facebook.com/turbowavegames/
https://twitter.com/TheStarturbo?lang=en
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheStarSonic64/

Feedback is welcome!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:00:37 AM by Starturbo » Logged
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 04:24:28 AM »

Added orange trees and the ability to pet Ropets!

amanfr01
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:25:38 AM »

This is great! My favorite parts of the Sonic Adventure games were the Chao gardens, legitimately. I probably spent twice as much time there than the rest of the games (aka the actual levels).

That being said, if you're not going to have levels, what about mini-games? That opens up a ton of potential for future updates, too. Let's say you start off with 5 "mini-games," then you pull a Nintendo and do a free update with additional mini-games. Just thinking out loud!

You're off to a great start. Keep it up!

EDIT: P.S. - I just followed you on Twitter. Can't wait to see you in the feed!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:31:50 AM by amanfr01 » Logged

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Currently making music for:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
PlatinumLifeOW
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 11:30:20 AM »

Chao Gardens was always a fun little side thing for me in Sonic. Smiley Good luck with this!
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 11:49:49 AM »

This is great! My favorite parts of the Sonic Adventure games were the Chao gardens, legitimately. I probably spent twice as much time there than the rest of the games (aka the actual levels).

That being said, if you're not going to have levels, what about mini-games? That opens up a ton of potential for future updates, too. Let's say you start off with 5 "mini-games," then you pull a Nintendo and do a free update with additional mini-games. Just thinking out loud!

You're off to a great start. Keep it up!

EDIT: P.S. - I just followed you on Twitter. Can't wait to see you in the feed!

Yeah, the Chao Gardens were really fun to me as well. Granted, I didn't play Sonic much as a young kid, but got into it later on. I'm a huge fan of the series, and I figured not many others were making indie games inspired by the Chao Gardens, so I figured, why not?

Funny you say that, because I was planning on adding mini-games (similar to the ones on Sonic Adventure 2's Chao World). However, the idea of mini-games that give you items to level-up Ropets also seems like a decent idea. Just need to make sure they are actually fun. I also had another idea in mind involving playing mini-games with Ropets, winning money, and buying items in stores. The Ropets will likely start out slightly above level 0 anyways.

I will definitely consider updating after release, as I do want to include a lot of content, but at the same time, want to get this out as soon as possible. Not rushing though, and there's no actual release date set yet (though, I have a basic idea of when it could release).

Also, thanks for following me on Twitter and joining my Discord group! Really means a lot to me.

Chao Gardens was always a fun little side thing for me in Sonic. Smiley Good luck with this!

Thanks! I will do the best I can to make sure this gets finished someday, and is the great game I want it to be.
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 06:30:32 AM »

Added a trust meter! Doesn't have any effects yet though.

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 06:34:46 AM »

Are you doing this in place of or in addition to Superstar Technic?

I do really like where you're going with this and I think a game like this has a higher potential for success than a pure action platformer in 2017.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 06:40:38 AM »

Are you doing this in place of or in addition to Superstar Technic?

I do really like where you're going with this and I think a game like this has a higher potential for success than a pure action platformer in 2017.

Kind of in place. I'm thinking of going back to ST once this is done, but I'm thinking it will get a complete overhaul then. At least graphically, and maybe gameplay-wise too.
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 06:52:29 AM »

Well good luck! I'll be keeping one eye in this topic for sure.  Blink

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 05:51:50 AM »

Thanks! Also, decided to change the name of my game to Roplet Land, due to trademark concerns. Therefore, "Ropets" are now "Roplets".
Alce
Level 0

Twitter: @Alce_X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 08:37:44 AM »

Haven't ever tried the Chao Garden games, but from what I'm seeing here it looks like something pretty fun and relaxing. Wanna play it!

Aspiring chilean game dev. Likes artsy/experimental stuff.
bynine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 08:55:12 AM »

this is cute! and the world needs more chao-garden-likes.

still, i'm seeing some flaws from here. namely, the stats are identical to the ones chao have, which is too on-the-nose for my liking - be a little more creative with that! also, right now they're not very endearing. i'm sure you'll give them animations but at the moment they're pretty generic and don't look like the type to be eating apples, lol

https://bynine.itch.io/ - check out my games here!
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 02:14:01 PM »

Ropet had a good ring to it but copyright and trademark concerns are valid. I don't like "Roplet," it sounds like a small rope. What about Roblet? Or Robolet? Or something different entirely.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 02:38:33 PM »

Thanks for all the responses! Made some redesigned Roplets here (original at the far left). Not sure if any of them look good, and I only changed the faces (not sure if that's even the issue).

Any of these look good? As for the name, I'll likely either go with Roplet or Roblet. Roplet was actually suggested by a friend of mine who didn't like Ropet much, so I suppose different people will have different opinions.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 03:13:43 PM by Starturbo » Logged
Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 02:54:59 PM »

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! I love your pixel art!

Devlog<br /><br />[/
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 03:00:45 PM »

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! I love your pixel art!

Woah, really? Thanks so much! But, I honestly think the pixel art in Rivals Advance looks better than mine. At least, I'm assuming that's your game?

Also, I'm thinking of going with the design on the far right in that image I posted. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 03:16:03 PM by Starturbo » Logged
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 07:33:25 AM »

May go with this design, and the name "Roblet", if people agree.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:56:37 AM by Starturbo » Logged
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 11:03:30 AM »

Decided to make another slight name change. The "Roplets" will now be "Roblets" and the title will now be "Roblet Land". I apologize if all these changes cause confusion, but this will hopefully be the last name change.

Also, feedback on the design would be nice!
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »

Hey, naming is a hard process. Take your time. It took me a year and 4 official name changes (and literally thousands of potential options) to settle on a final name for my game @[email protected]

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 05:33:36 AM »

Redid the stats a bit, to look less like those of Chao! Just a bit unsure if I should have both creativity and intelligence on there.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:42:54 AM by Starturbo » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic