Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:54:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs(removed)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: (removed)  (Read 7851 times)
Starturbo
« on: July 15, 2017, 09:42:02 AM »

(removed)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 11:14:56 AM by Starturbo » Logged
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 10:25:38 AM »

This is great! My favorite parts of the Sonic Adventure games were the Chao gardens, legitimately. I probably spent twice as much time there than the rest of the games (aka the actual levels).

That being said, if you're not going to have levels, what about mini-games? That opens up a ton of potential for future updates, too. Let's say you start off with 5 "mini-games," then you pull a Nintendo and do a free update with additional mini-games. Just thinking out loud!

You're off to a great start. Keep it up!

EDIT: P.S. - I just followed you on Twitter. Can't wait to see you in the feed!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:31:50 AM by amanfr01 » Logged

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
PlatinumLifeOW
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 11:30:20 AM »

Chao Gardens was always a fun little side thing for me in Sonic. Smiley Good luck with this!
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 06:34:46 AM »

Are you doing this in place of or in addition to Superstar Technic?

I do really like where you're going with this and I think a game like this has a higher potential for success than a pure action platformer in 2017.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 06:52:29 AM »

Well good luck! I'll be keeping one eye in this topic for sure.  Blink

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Alce
Level 0

Twitter: @Alce_X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 08:37:44 AM »

Haven't ever tried the Chao Garden games, but from what I'm seeing here it looks like something pretty fun and relaxing. Wanna play it!

Aspiring chilean game dev. Likes artsy/experimental stuff.
bynine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 08:55:12 AM »

this is cute! and the world needs more chao-garden-likes.

still, i'm seeing some flaws from here. namely, the stats are identical to the ones chao have, which is too on-the-nose for my liking - be a little more creative with that! also, right now they're not very endearing. i'm sure you'll give them animations but at the moment they're pretty generic and don't look like the type to be eating apples, lol

https://bynine.itch.io/ - check out my games here!
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 02:14:01 PM »

Ropet had a good ring to it but copyright and trademark concerns are valid. I don't like "Roplet," it sounds like a small rope. What about Roblet? Or Robolet? Or something different entirely.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 02:54:59 PM »

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! I love your pixel art!

Devlog<br /><br />[/
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »

Hey, naming is a hard process. Take your time. It took me a year and 4 official name changes (and literally thousands of potential options) to settle on a final name for my game @n@

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Alce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 08:24:51 AM »

Creativity and intelligence aren't necessarily related, so I think it's fine if they're different stats.

vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 12:56:03 PM »

I really like the chao, looking foward to seeing what the project becomes =] Will there be as much customization in the appearance as the chao, though? Makes sense since they're robots, but I think that'd be harder in pixel art.

So I had some thoughts on the design so I made an edit.

I think the main thing is that the head and the legs felt kind of disconected? Also made the hands and feet a bit bigger and drew the head's shadow in the body. Hope the feedback is useful! You chose some nice colors btw.

vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 05:56:16 PM »

You're welcome! =] It really is shorter, here is a comparison (with a chao!)

Also, something I was wondering. How is the game loop like? I mean, in the sonic adventure games you'd go out and get stuff for the chao, come back, give it to them, pet them, compete. Without the going out part, do you put them directly in mini-games / competitions and gain new stuff for them through that?

lyon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 06:16:18 PM »

Hey I've been seeing this on twitter! It's nice to see more of it here. Like others have said in the thread, I was a huge fan of the chao gardens, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

It's nice that you're adding platforms, makes the environment feel like more of a playground, it's a nice touch.

Sorry if this has already been addressed elsewhere, I see that there are several Roblet designs, is the appearance affected by how you interact with them/what you feed them, or is it just individual designs for different roblets?
Alce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »

The carrying and jumping looks really nice!

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 03:36:09 PM »

This is a good looking bright and colorful adventure! I know it's a virtual pet but is there any goal to it? Maybe there's a rival robot pet owner and there's some big competition coming up (generic I know but it's a time tested plot line Tongue)

andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 05:39:07 PM »

The artwork is super charming and I like how things have shaped up so far. Following for more!  Coffee

Daywalker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 04:39:22 PM »

Sorry for the lack of progress lately. Working on fixing collisions, as I discovered an issue involving platforms placed in front of other platforms (hadn't done so before). Once this is fixed, I shouldn't have to worry about it again.

It's ok, I forgive you

but a shadow of the past ..
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 05:12:29 PM »

Actually absolutely watching this! major Chao Garden fan, this looks incredible, love the 2D style. Def keeping my idea on this, watching til it launches!

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 06:51:02 PM »

I like the new style! it's simple, but still charismatic and easy to understand.

(it looks like the roblet antenna would be two pixels in profile... also they kinda look up when in profile which I don't get. but overall it looks nice!)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic