Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1340999 Posts in 61268 Topics- by 52792 Members - Latest Member: raisen

June 22, 2018, 04:50:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRoblet Land - A 2D virtual pet simulator inspired by the Chao Gardens!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Roblet Land - A 2D virtual pet simulator inspired by the Chao Gardens!  (Read 3521 times)
Alce
Level 0

Twitter: @Alce_X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 08:24:51 AM »

Creativity and intelligence aren't necessarily related, so I think it's fine if they're different stats.

Aspiring chilean game dev. Likes artsy/experimental stuff. Currently developing A Light in the Dark, A top down exploration game in a world of eternal night.
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »

My main concern is finding ways to make them both useful. My other idea was to replace "Creativity" with "Energy", which will work like stamina.
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 04:46:01 AM »

Experimenting with more natural-looking platforms! Also moved the shadow to the front of the tiles, to be more consistent.
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 09:57:03 AM »

Added some more layers of depth! Will need to make sure the platforms are spread out more, because otherwise you can get stuck when picking up an object in-between.
vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2017, 12:56:03 PM »

I really like the chao, looking foward to seeing what the project becomes =] Will there be as much customization in the appearance as the chao, though? Makes sense since they're robots, but I think that'd be harder in pixel art.

So I had some thoughts on the design so I made an edit.

I think the main thing is that the head and the legs felt kind of disconected? Also made the hands and feet a bit bigger and drew the head's shadow in the body. Hope the feedback is useful! You chose some nice colors btw.

Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2017, 01:37:49 PM »

I really like the chao, looking foward to seeing what the project becomes =] Will there be as much customization in the appearance as the chao, though? Makes sense since they're robots, but I think that'd be harder in pixel art.

So I had some thoughts on the design so I made an edit.

I think the main thing is that the head and the legs felt kind of disconected? Also made the hands and feet a bit bigger and drew the head's shadow in the body. Hope the feedback is useful! You chose some nice colors btw.

Yes, that is the idea! There will be Roblets of many different types, including a few I want to keep as a surprise.

That actually does look pretty good! I do prefer the arms and legs here! However, it looks a tad squished. Would sort of make more sense, but at the same time, the Chao were fairly tall too if you count the ball floating about their heads. Then again, maybe it's the same exact size as before, but it looks shorter. Thanks so much for the feedback!
vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 05:56:16 PM »

You're welcome! =] It really is shorter, here is a comparison (with a chao!)

Also, something I was wondering. How is the game loop like? I mean, in the sonic adventure games you'd go out and get stuff for the chao, come back, give it to them, pet them, compete. Without the going out part, do you put them directly in mini-games / competitions and gain new stuff for them through that?

lyon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2017, 06:16:18 PM »

Hey I've been seeing this on twitter! It's nice to see more of it here. Like others have said in the thread, I was a huge fan of the chao gardens, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

It's nice that you're adding platforms, makes the environment feel like more of a playground, it's a nice touch.

Sorry if this has already been addressed elsewhere, I see that there are several Roblet designs, is the appearance affected by how you interact with them/what you feed them, or is it just individual designs for different roblets?
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 04:25:13 AM »

You're welcome! =] It really is shorter, here is a comparison (with a chao!)

Also, something I was wondering. How is the game loop like? I mean, in the sonic adventure games you'd go out and get stuff for the chao, come back, give it to them, pet them, compete. Without the going out part, do you put them directly in mini-games / competitions and gain new stuff for them through that?

Oh I see! May make my own version that's sort of a mix of the two.

And yes, my plan is to have mini-games. However, the idea is that they won't be required, and that food will level-up Roblets too, but at a slower pace than items collected in mini-games.

Hey I've been seeing this on twitter! It's nice to see more of it here. Like others have said in the thread, I was a huge fan of the chao gardens, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

It's nice that you're adding platforms, makes the environment feel like more of a playground, it's a nice touch.

Sorry if this has already been addressed elsewhere, I see that there are several Roblet designs, is the appearance affected by how you interact with them/what you feed them, or is it just individual designs for different roblets?

I'm sort of thinking both, in a sense. The types you see now are just individual designs, however, I'm planning on having something like the Chao Gardens where each playable character (planning to add more than just Technic) will raise a Roblet to be a different type when it grows up. My idea was, unlike the Chao Garden which just has Hero, Dark, or Neutral, mine might have those and even more. Stuff like Cute, Goofy, Fancy, etc. (the ones I listed are just ideas) and you'd be able to unlock new parks (thinking they won't be called gardens) as well.

I am a bit worried what I'm going for is too much like the Chao Garden, but I at least changed the stats to be different, and my game is in 2D after all. I just know if this tries to be a "spiritual successor" people might compare it to the originals, and judge it poorly. Again, just a thought.
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 05:08:13 AM »

Did a little experiment.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:51:54 AM by Starturbo » Logged
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 09:29:01 AM »

Adjusted collisions a bit, as well as Technic's shadow! I know, not too exciting.

Wonder if the shadow being small here will bother anyone, cause I think it's either this, Technic's hitbox is wider, or there's clipping with the shadows. There's still clipping with Technic's antenna at times, but I think it's not a big deal, especially if I do add forward/backward walking animations.
Alce
Level 0

Twitter: @Alce_X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »

The carrying and jumping looks really nice!

Aspiring chilean game dev. Likes artsy/experimental stuff. Currently developing A Light in the Dark, A top down exploration game in a world of eternal night.
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »

Thanks! I wasn't sure if the platforming looked good here. Also, I decided to make Technic's hands not move up or down while carrying now (there were a few issues when the objects were bobbing). Don't worry though, there is still some arm movement, so I feel it looks fine.

Currently, I'm working on redoing the stats a bit (planning on adding another page, which you can change to by pressing a button), so hopefully I can show that off soon.
thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 03:36:09 PM »

This is a good looking bright and colorful adventure! I know it's a virtual pet but is there any goal to it? Maybe there's a rival robot pet owner and there's some big competition coming up (generic I know but it's a time tested plot line Tongue)

Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 06:21:04 PM »

Not currently, but I could add story elements. Don't want this to become a full RPG though. I'll see what I can come up with, and funnily enough, I've thought of an idea similar to yours in the past.
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2017, 07:19:43 AM »

Added a second page of stats!
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2017, 05:47:56 AM »

Giving the stats screen a more old computer/terminal look. Can't decide if I want the device itself to be white/gray, as otherwise it looks somewhat modern.
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2017, 09:02:59 AM »

Added animated water! This probably means Technic and the Roblets are water-proof, but it still might not make sense. Also updated the standard Roblets' animations based on vitorlanna's suggestions (not shown off here, but I could later). Feedback is welcome!
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2017, 08:35:53 AM »

Added a sky (still work in progress) to Roblet Land, and finished updating the Roblets' sprites!
Starturbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2017, 10:53:19 AM »

Testing water slides! Still very work in progress.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic