Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:13:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUmber Throne (Redux) - A Combat-Based Metroidvania with Free-Aiming
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Umber Throne (Redux) - A Combat-Based Metroidvania with Free-Aiming  (Read 2527 times)
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2017, 12:35:31 PM »

Hey there! History repeats itself, and again I take a break from Key of Ethios to work on Umber Throne, which is far, far smaller in scope.

~The Empyrean Expanse~
This game takes place in an endless void known as the Empyrean Expanse. Within this space-like realm lies chunks of land upon which sit unique Kingdoms. Each Kingdom has a ruler, who has a sort of symbiotic link with their Kingdom.

The various Kingdoms are connected via highways of light dubbed Aether Streams, which can be traversed utilizing Aether Galleons.

(A really old concept for the world)

~The Story~
So there's been an issue that the denizens of the Expanse have been experiencing; various Kingdoms have been vanishing out of the void.

The reason? The Umber Throne.

Nobody knows its true nature, but those who have witnessed these vanishings have told tales... Tales of a giant, formless cloud of mist... of a great, yawning maw... of Kingdoms devoured whole.

There have been, of course, bands of warriors thinking to challenge this monstrous thing, or those who tnink to solve its mysteries. They search for the thing, hunt it down, and are never seen again.

You are not one of these foolhardy seekers. You are Ser Abelard, Myrmidon of your Lord and Liege, King Atlas. You have more important things to do than seek out some otherworldy, world-eating cloud- You have a Kingdom to defend, after all.

Unfortunately for you, just because you do not seek out this danger does not mean that you'll never encounter it...

A normal day, it seemed. And then in an instant, it happened. All you remember was a formless cloud of mist... and a great, yawning maw.

~Gameplay~
So you play as the aforementioned Abelard:

Seems to me that the main crux of the challenge in Castlevania games is your limit in angles of attack. More so than any of the enemies, it's just a matter of getting into the correct position.

I wanted to work around this feature, and instead decided to implement a free-aiming combat system. This'll let me put the challenge in the enemies and their abilities, rather than your lack of combat options.

So you can spear in the cardinal directions:

But you can also spear in any damn direction you wanna:

While moving, too:

Same deal with blocking:

This will be the case with most mechanics in the game, like the various, obligatory upgrades, and even stuff like levers:

(Instead of being a binary "use>Activated, use>Deactivated" thing, the levers will have patterns that you'll follow using the aiming controls.

I think it'll turn out pretty cool.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 12:38:14 PM »

Also, here are a few concepts for various enemies and characters:

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »

Character looks awesome and the combat seems like it will be visceral. Love this kind of stuff  Beer!
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 10:50:39 AM »

Thank'eh, Joey!

Faffing about with particle style:

(Click for full size)
ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 11:08:11 AM »

Hey, the character looks rad and I am intrigued about your apporach on the aiming metroidvania concept.

I can feel the pontential challenge on making the aim feedback feel visually appealing. Good luck!  Coffee

DuelCide A Dark ARPG about dueling, taking lives & dealing with consequences.
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 05:36:31 PM »

I agree with the above:

The art direction (and that character idle animation!) looks so unique. Visceral is a great descriptive word. Well done!

Personally, I love the ability to aim with the mouse. That'll add a TON to the gameplay. Especially if the enemies can aim just as well!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 12:16:28 PM »

Thanks, guys! It'll be interesting to see how far I can push the concept, from giving enemies similar free-aiming attacks, to them having a variety of directional techniques depending on where you are.

I'm considering trying out a world map kinda thing, much like Order of Ecclesia, though the areas will be much larger.

It won't be just a binary entrance-exit kind of thing, mind you- certain paths will only open up if you find the exit to them within the area, so some areas will branch out into multiple paths, which could be interesting.

I can probably do some interesting things with it, like Shovel Knight-esque map encounters, or secrets:

What do you guys think- Yay or nay?
joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 06:28:27 PM »

World maps are great. If it works for Mario why not?
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »

Finally got the mouse aiming to work! Previously, I only had controller support.

Give it a whirl- it should be able to autodetect what input device you're using, too.

ControllerKeyboard/Mouse
Move|Left Stick|WASD
Aim|Right Stick|Mouse
Attack|Right Shoulder Button|Left Click
Block (Hold)|Left Shoulder Button|Right Click
Jump|A|Space
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 11:51:13 AM »

Don't mind me, just animating Abe's omnidirectional attack...

(Clicky for Gfy)

Also I'm back, I guess.
Lares Yamoir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 03:43:07 PM »

I'm intrigued by the artstyle and the feature, so I'll follow this devlog.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 01:20:25 PM »

Awww yisss!

Have some environment design musings:

Going for a surreal feel.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 01:34:26 PM by McMutton » Logged
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 12:06:49 PM »

Mock Anger OMNIDIRECTIONAAAAAL ATTAAAAAACK!

(Clicky for Gfy)

Still not fully done, but I'm quite pleased with how it's turning out.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic