Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:00:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs8Doors : Metroidvania style 2D Action Platformer game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 8Doors : Metroidvania style 2D Action Platformer game  (Read 2786 times)
RootlessStudio
Level 0

RootlessStudio

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:48:33 PM »

Launched Trailer

About "8Doors"

“8Doors” is a story-driven Metroidvania-style action platformer heavily influenced by Korean folktales. Play as ‘Arum’, a brave girl that has voluntarily entered the realm of the afterlife in search of her father’s soul and help guide her through the '8 Doors of Purgatory' to solve the mysteries that lie deep within. Defeat wretched wraiths blocking your way and rescue fugitive souls who are in need of your guidance.

Dynamic Gameplay
  • Explore : Navigate 8 different areas of purgatory and countless dangerous obstacles in your path.

• Battle : Use fluid combo attacks and timely dodges to go against more than 36 different types of specters and 21 deadly bosses with unique attack patterns.

• Improve : Wield 7 different types of weapons, master various skills and take advantage of passive abilities.

Immersive & Deep Story

• Backdrop : The fascinating afterlife of the East.
  • Story : Based on traditional Korean folktales and featuring many memorable concepts and characters.

Sharp Graphics & Art

• Unique Visuals : Only three colors were used to breathe life into the game; Red, Black and White.
  • Hand-Drawn Animations : All characters were drawn by hand in 2D frame-by-frame animations.

Add to your Wishlist

Follow us & more information

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 10:16:44 PM by RootlessStudio » Logged

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 05:19:05 PM »

Wow! I love the art style. It has a very "300" feel, perhaps due to the color scheme.

Also, there's not many games out there with Korean cultural influences. That's wonderful!

I'm happy for you, and I look forward to seeing this progress :D

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
RootlessStudio
Level 0

RootlessStudio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 07:09:21 PM »

Wow! I love the art style. It has a very "300" feel, perhaps due to the color scheme.

Also, there's not many games out there with Korean cultural influences. That's wonderful!

I'm happy for you, and I look forward to seeing this progress :D

Thank you for your comments. Three colors were used to represent the world. I'm surprised it feels like 300!

Alce
Level 0

Twitter: @Alce_X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 07:33:22 AM »

Loving the art style, the story and the influences sound really cool too! Looking forward to how this'll develop.

Aspiring chilean game dev. Likes artsy/experimental stuff.
RootlessStudio
Level 0

RootlessStudio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 07:13:01 PM »

Loving the art style, the story and the influences sound really cool too! Looking forward to how this'll develop.

Thank you Alce! I feel happy with your comments  Wink

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »

This looks awesome! We need more games about the afterlife! I am actually working on music for a traditional roguelike about the afterlife as well, maybe this is the next thing? Games that are REALLY about death  Cheesy
RootlessStudio
Level 0

RootlessStudio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 02:52:46 AM »

This looks awesome! We need more games about the afterlife! I am actually working on music for a traditional roguelike about the afterlife as well, maybe this is the next thing? Games that are REALLY about death  Cheesy
Thank you joey4track!!
We are develop Demo version. Demo version will be available before September.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 02:37:39 PM »

ohh extremely polished look and art style! hollow knight vibes already, and thats high praise. 따봉!

RootlessStudio
Level 0

RootlessStudio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 08:50:20 PM »

ohh extremely polished look and art style! hollow knight vibes already, and thats high praise. 따봉!

Thank you for comment! We updated video clip
Enjoy yourself!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:00:47 PM by RootlessStudio » Logged

RootlessStudio
Level 0

RootlessStudio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 11:26:38 AM »

Use umbrella gliding to pass through narrow spiked area.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 07:08:35 PM by RootlessStudio » Logged

sbeast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 08:43:29 AM »

This looks pretty cool.
Do you need any music for this by the way?

Sbeast - Composer / Cover Artist / Guitarist
http://luxbellator.com/portfolio
RootlessStudio
Level 0

RootlessStudio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 01:06:10 PM »

Demo Trailer

8Doors Free Demo version is available.
Play now!
https://rootlessstudio.itch.io/8doors

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 09:40:05 AM »

I said this on Twitter, I believe, but let me say again here that this game looks really charming. I've downloaded the demo, and intend to try it out soon! :D

RootlessStudio
Level 0

RootlessStudio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 09:48:39 AM »

I said this on Twitter, I believe, but let me say again here that this game looks really charming. I've downloaded the demo, and intend to try it out soon! :D

I saw that you said our game looks charming!

thank you!

RootlessStudio
Level 0

RootlessStudio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 10:22:37 PM »

Launched Trailer

Based on the Korean folktale of Princess Bari, Arum must battle through Purgatory in a beautifully animated tricolor spirit world. 8Doors: Arum’s Afterlife Adventure, an immersive and beautiful metroidvania-style game being published by NEOWIZ and developed by Rootless Studio, will be released on Steam and GOG on April 8th. 8Doors is a story-rich adventure game that is based on the Korean myth of “Princess Bari” and follows ‘Arum’ as she ventures deep into the afterlife in search of her father’s soul. Along the way she’ll have to navigate a treacherous path through purgatory which is beautifully presented in just three colors; Red, White and Black. 8Doors features a sprawling map that has 8 distinct regions (one for each “Door of Purgatory”) and a wide-range of monsters and bosses that bring Korean folktales to life. Arum can also wield 7 different weapons and utilize a multitude of skills to help her fend off the 36 different types of specters that she’ll encounter on the journey.

Add to your Wishlist

Follow us & more information

Ondra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2021, 11:44:40 PM »

I really love archery animation. Finally somebody got it right.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic