Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:22:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Engines that use type providers to access its assets? Like WPF?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Engines that use type providers to access its assets? Like WPF?  (Read 1569 times)
SouldomainTM
Level 0

"In Science We Trust"

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2017, 06:07:51 AM »

I'm making a custom game engine with F# for my game. I have some experience with UE4/Unity and even Xenko. I played around with the Windows Presentation Foundation, and found the idea of type providers interesting.

So, I was wondering. Whether I could, or should use type providers, too?! I figure, that with type providers I could remove the need of referencing objects within the editor. And keep this "programming" more to the actual programmers. Entities in the scene, that are given a name, would get automatically type provided.

It would be good if there was an engine that does this. So, I could see for myself whether that is even a good idea.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 06:39:02 AM »

I tried looking up type providers and I can't make sense of it, can you try and explain what they are and what use you see for them in a game engine?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 06:50:31 AM »

I don't understand what you mean either, sorry. :c

SouldomainTM
Level 0

"In Science We Trust"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 07:35:34 AM »

To my understanding. Type providers generate code. And because there is code, you can access new data, or types that the provider provided, from your source. But while you edit that source in the IDE. So this is dev-time not run-time. The providers runs along the IDE, and the compiler's IntelliSense.

I think these types can also be viewed as bindings, like those of an API. That provide bindings for a managed language from a native API. These bindings don't program any new features, they just give you access.

If I recall, I have seen Xenko using type providers, too, for its shaders. I can access the public variables of a shader program from C#, without having to write first, any extra code to retrieve the variable via the graphics sub engine. But don't quote me on this.

I think eventually, Xenko also will provide types for its GUI, just like WPF. Currently you have manually to retrieve the GUI elements in Xenko. Because unlike Unity, Xenko doesn't store the individual GUI elements inside game objects. So, you can't just access some public reference inside a MonoBehaviour. Neither does UE4, by the way. You can only access the entire GUI hierarchy in Xenko.

I haven't studied UE4's architecture closer yet. But I'm intending to follow more the UE4 model of handling scene objects, so Actors from source code. Instead of Unity/Xenko's way that seem to be too much one the editor side for code related stuff. I suspect that there are plenty of type providers inside UE4, for its BluePrint system. Otherwise BP couldn't access many aspects of the engine and assets. At least not without a ton of extra nodes, which would defeat the purpose of BPs.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 10:51:33 AM »

It sounds like a promising idea to me. Lots of engines have represent different types of game objects with different run-time types, and lots of engines encourage as much stuff to be data driven as possible. But no engines marry the two, as without type providers, it's not possible to have run time types that are configured by data, not code.
JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 11:59:13 AM »

UE4 uses reflection to drive blueprints - tbh I still don't really understand what type providers are supposed to be, it sounds like it could be some sort of reflection as well...?
SouldomainTM
Level 0

"In Science We Trust"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 01:11:21 PM »

UE4 uses reflection to drive blueprints - tbh I still don't really understand what type providers are supposed to be, it sounds like it could be some sort of reflection as well...?
Reflection works only during run-time. Type providers work during dev-time, generating source code. I think it may work via the compiler itself. At least in C#/F#.

Here is an example from WPF. I created a window and added a TextBlock element:

The editor created a XAML file:

Now, I can access that GUI element with its name texBlock:

But how is this possible? Because I never defined any textBlock class inside my C# code. It's because of this code that was generated by the type provider:

Note that this file, this partial class, is not visible inside my project files. But you will fined the definition of textbox in there. And any other element, like the button class for the Button element, that I also added to the editor earlier.

This is how I consider doing things inside my engine. But with the scene files, and assets. And with Yaml instead of XAML.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 10:38:48 PM »

Ohhhh okay - it's a fancy term for code generation then. I actually thought about doing that for some things before. I know that some in house engines use it to generate shader constant buffer structs.
SouldomainTM
Level 0

"In Science We Trust"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 03:16:42 AM »

Maybe a reason why it's called type provider, and not code generator, is because it never makes the source files visible inside an IDE. And seems with F#, it more of an actual language feature. While in C#, it's more of I tool, I read.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 07:03:49 AM »

Type providers are not a feature I've used a lot in F#.

The main type provider I typically see is the SQL type provider and from what I can tell, the difference is there is no code generation unlike an ORM for C#. It seems that at the top of the file you simply attach to the database and request the context then you can see the types. So it might be that visual studio simply scans the database and then shows you what's available through intellisense.

That's kind of cool that it doesnt do code generation because one of the annoying things about entity framework for c# is keeping your code model in sync with your database model. If it's fully dynamic like the type provider in f# you remove a huge layer of complexity and maintenance.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/fsharp/tutorials/type-providers/accessing-a-sql-database

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 07:07:43 AM »

Now that I understand, this is actually quite interesting!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic