Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:34:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGalactagirl - a high-speed retro action-platformer!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Galactagirl - a high-speed retro action-platformer!  (Read 7905 times)
CosmicCrystal
Level 0

// GalactaGirl // HellStar Squadron //

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2017, 07:34:50 AM »

Summary:

Join Galactagirl on a cosmic adventure to vanquish the evil Robot Racers and their mechanical minions! In this adrenaline-pumping action-platformer inspired by retro classics such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man and Ninja Gaiden you must aid Galactagirl in her quest to be the fastest in the galaxy and stop the invasion of the Galactic Homeworlds by the Robot Racers.

Galactagirl has an advanced moveset including wall jumps, target lock-ons, rail grinding, sliding and more, which allows for a variety of ways to traverse the environment and its many challenges. Move fast, react quickly, and chain your moves together to overcome obstacles, defeat enemies, and beat the levels in the quickest time!

Features:

- High speed platforming with a variety of movement abilities!

- Dastardly robotic enemies and bosses to defeat!

- Tons of explosions and particles and... explosions!

- Gorgeous retro-styled art and graphics!

- Options including windowed mode, volume control and a retro CRT shader!

I'm hoping this demo will provide a good overall blueprint for early players of Galactagirl's moveset and controls, the structure of the game and player progress, and a variety of mechanics and their implementation. No specific release date as of yet but stay tuned at any of the links below for updates on the game's progress.

Links:

Screenshots:

Let me know what you think about the game in the replies, I appreciate any feedback you can provide Smiley If you like what you see, follow the dev progress at any of the above links or right here in this thread! Thanks for your time!

***UPDATE 29/07/17: added alpha demo plans and new screenshots
***UPDATE 12/08/17: updated with new screenshots/logo/info
***UPDATE 18/08/17: new GIF + gameplay videos!
***UPDATE 30/08/17: alpha demo + trailer now released!!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:07:32 PM by CosmicCrystal » Logged

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 11:40:29 AM »

i love to plau a game where blaze the cat is the megamen

CosmicCrystal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 06:55:11 PM »

i love to plau a game where blaze the cat is the megamen

Haha yep that's pretty much the intention here. I always wanted to play a super-fast Mega Man game so I made one!

I also have FiveAsOne at opengameart.org to thank for the character, enemy and boss sprites which are awesome and have been immensely influential on the development of the game Smiley

CosmicCrystal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 11:01:16 PM »

UPDATE 29/07/17: Alpha demo plans and some new gifs!

**Alpha Demo plans**

Okay so as many of you may be aware I plan to develop Galactagirl to completion, the next step of which is releasing an "alpha demo" for the game so I have an opportunity to recieve valuable player feedback while working on it.
Planned features of the demo so far include:

- A tutorial and hub area for you to practice your moves and abilities
- Four distinct stages/levels
- A boss fight that is unlocked after beating the four stages/levels
- Some totally kickass openly sourced graphics and music

I'm hoping this demo will provide a good overall blueprint for early players of Galactagirl's moveset and controls, the structure of the game and player progress, and a variety of mechanics and their implementation. No specific release date as of yet but stay tuned at any of the above links for updates on the game's progress.

**Screenshot updates**

Nothing drastically new this week, but been doing a lot of general polishing. Those little bits and pieces of code you don't wanna fix add up! Anywho, some shiny new gifs:

- Gameplay in Stage 2 featuring fans and rails
- Current state of end level/score screen
- Splashing about in Stage 3
- Vehicle section for Stage 4

Thanks!
CosmicCrystal

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 01:25:34 AM »

NES style game with modern mechanics always intrigues me, Glactagirl looks awesome Hand Metal Left.

One pointer though, in the first GIF the trees that are in the background moves faster than the foreground, shouldn't be other way round (background should move slower), because that might give a weird sense of depth.
CosmicCrystal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 02:49:11 AM »

NES style game with modern mechanics always intrigues me, Glactagirl looks awesome Hand Metal Left.

One pointer though, in the first GIF the trees that are in the background moves faster than the foreground, shouldn't be other way round (background should move slower), because that might give a weird sense of depth.

Glad you like it!

You're totally right about the background. Thankfully I've already improved it and an example of the new bg scrolling speed can be seen in one of the latest gifs, the one with the end level screen.

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback!

CosmicCrystal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 09:29:44 AM »

***UPDATE 12/08/17: updated with new screenshots/logo/info***

I have been working on polishing a lot of things lately as the release of the alpha demo comes ever closer :D Most notable additions in this week's update include more particle effects on enemy explosions (like sparks, pieces and smoke); the addition of Mega Man/Zelda-esque screen transitions that really smooth out the gameplay; a ton of little art pieces here and there; and work on some important settings stuff like rebindable controls!

See the new GIFs in the updated OP for more detail! And stay tuned at any of my links if you like what you see, demo is coming real soon Wink

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 09:57:37 AM »

Whoa awesome! The grinding mechanic also reminds me of THPS, maybe you should add some combos, haha. Nice work, if you need some fun chiptune I'm here!  Gentleman
CosmicCrystal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 06:40:52 PM »

Thanks! THPS was indeed a source of inspiration for the grinding mechanic Wink many hours of my youth were spent grinding around those levels haha!

As for music, thanks kindly for your offer! The alpha demo currently has a soundtrack set in place, but as the game develops further more music may be required. Stay tuned at any of my dev links for updates on this front Smiley

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 06:45:42 PM »

I really like the art on this! Your main character is a girl and reminds me of a teen Zero from the Mega Man series, if he, was a she. Her run seems a bit stiff but other than that I really like the way this looks! Cheers!

CosmicCrystal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 02:48:50 AM »

Thanks so much! Glad you like the art Smiley Lots of thanks go to FiveAsOne at opengameart.org for the excellent character spritework. Huge inspiration in developing the gameplay and its mechanics Smiley

CosmicCrystal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 10:02:15 PM »

***UPDATE 18/08/2017
So I've been trying to record some footage for trailer-making and I thought that in the meantime I might just share some gameplay with everyone to better demonstrate the mechanics in motion... and show off the current levels too Wink  

Stage 1:

Stage 2:

CosmicCrystal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 10:02:56 PM »

Stage 3:

Stage 4:

Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 10:05:03 PM »

Tweeted this. Keep up the great looking work!

Beg

Devlog<br /><br />[/
CosmicCrystal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 10:17:11 PM »

Tweeted this. Keep up the great looking work!

Beg

oooh right back at ya! Classic Adventure looks marvelous! Sonic x Gunstar?? hnnnnnnnngg  Kiss

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 02:31:02 PM »

I'm super down!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 10:21:49 PM »

Hi!

CosmicCrystal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 07:51:24 AM »

Thanks for the support everyone! I am happy to say that the alpha demo is now available for download! Check it out at my itch.io, indieDB or gamejolt pages!

- Itch.io

- IndieDB

- GameJolt

The trailer is also released if you need a quick preview of the game and want to spread it around to your friends! Watch it here!

Much love,

uxas_omega / Cosmic Crystal Games

CosmicCrystal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 02:12:55 AM »

Pushed a quick update with some much needed bugfixes/improvements. including:

- Much more responsive grinding behaviour and movement;
- Repaired game crash on using gamepads;
- Fixed drawing and saving of player times;
- Much improved projectile deflection;
- Faster zoom attack targeting;
- Galactagirl now takes less damage from enemies;
- Fixed Rocket enemy collisions;
- General level geometry collision improvements.

Hope this improves the experience for everyone a bit, and keep that feedback coming! I have a playtester feedback thread here on TIGforums: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=62306.0

Thanks kindly,

Cosmic Crystal Games

TGHoly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 04:19:20 AM »

I've stuck at tutorial were teach player to use lockdown, I found balloon enemy respawn instant after my character lock and hit them which on only prevent me from chain jump but also damage character I'm not sure if I did anything wrong...

the game look pretty good so far I like gameplay concept behind this.  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic