Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:16:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNanoheia -dark, sci-fi metroidvania
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Nanoheia -dark, sci-fi metroidvania  (Read 17190 times)
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2017, 10:23:38 PM »

Great art style! I really like those monster designs too.

JCity
Level 0

Lurking!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »

I just wanted to say that I love this artstyle you got going for this game!
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2017, 04:42:07 PM »

Really enjoying the art style so far. It breaks several pixel art "laws" in the best possible way. It has the minimalist qualities of pixel art but also reminds me of traditional paintings, where you don't really care about each individual pixel's position but they make sense when stepping away.

And metroidvanias are always fun!

stewiepixels
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2017, 02:15:59 PM »

thank you everyone! so so glad you guys find it interesting Panda
diegzumillo-thank you, this is what I was going for, although these are all work in progress, I'll try to stay true to pixels as much as possible in the end, but keeping this little messy painterly feel at places.

Super busy this week with animation and what not, meanwhile I thought I'd share this.
 Top is the old concept for the outside area, where I liked the colors but they were dirty and unpleasant too look at, so I tried
to make it cleaner and juicer while adding a bit more readability to it. Only worked on COLORS, still messy, the shapes, details and the rest will be done later).

SuperRetroMaker
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2017, 04:08:41 PM »

Wow, this looks amazing! Please keep going!

Super Retro Maker Like Mario Maker, but for all the other NES classics!
Twitter:@SuperRetroMaker
TIGForums: Devlog
ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2017, 07:27:56 AM »

Looks great so far!

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
tylerfunk
Level 0

I make games for fun and games

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2017, 04:09:08 PM »

Glad to finally see it in motion! This looks lovely!  Gomez

MEAD✿W LARK - Metal Deity - That Sea of Neon - Breakvania
Ivan Khmel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2017, 09:15:07 PM »

This is looking bad ass. The character animation is on point. Looking forward to seeing more.

stewiepixels
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2017, 02:30:02 PM »

thanks dudes. Means A LOT to me.  I've been pretty passive lately since I took some freelance gigs, but I'm getting back to it soon.
 In the meanwhile,  here's something I was playing with. Redoing some old pieces and also trying different color schemes for the character since I still don't like the old one.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2017, 05:04:45 PM »

Duuude. The sense of depth behind that statue is really good. Wow.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
BusinessDogStudio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2017, 06:21:34 PM »

Good gravy, I love that art style. Keep at it!

Rain of Arrows - A virtual reality archery game!
http://businessdogstudio.com
https://twitter.com/BusinessDogStud
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2017, 07:30:12 PM »

Hey, this is super nice! The art style, while pixel art, is incredibly unique. It's got this... Roughness, as it were, that I don't see often- the kind that's detailed enough to let you know what you're looking at, but it leaves enough out to let the viewer's imagination take hold.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:39:52 PM by McMutton » Logged
ionside
Level 1

what was I doing, again?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2017, 08:34:07 PM »

This is beautiful. I really want to play it.

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2017, 08:54:29 PM »

Just wanted to say that I really like everything I see here. Can't wait to see more gameplay-related stuff.

I've been creeping around tigs for quite some time without posting, you made me come back  Noir
stewiepixels
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2017, 11:25:46 AM »

thanks all of you again. A lot.

quick short update - still on the animations. Adding small transitions from idle to run,  flip sides frames, landing frames (both when in place and a different one for when running. In short, making sure everything will be smooth.  Programming wise - the build is in a good state, the room system,
and couple powerups are done. Even some basic dummies are there. I believe in a month and a half there will be a short playable demo.    

Now back to aseprite hehe.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:38:16 AM by stewiepixels » Logged

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2017, 01:19:52 PM »

Looks sweet! Definitely has a unique style. Smiley  Kind of like Alien universe meets BLAME! universe.

Also, the unique pixel visuals with the dark tones remind me of Irkalla.  On a similarish note, that game has been in actual limbo a few times.

I just quickly skimmed through the devlog.

Yep, motivation is a biggie.  I might be in the minority, that I don't really need "motivation" i.e. if I'm inspired to do something, then that will be motivating enough regardless of how others perceive it.  But for many others some form of discipline is key.  You're probably aware, it's good to start with a target audience in mind.  As you saw, people who like little girls with unicorns probably won't be into dark-ish sci-fi.  That'll also be useful later on to decide if a feedback is relevant for your project.  Since you mentioned that you can't take risks right now, I'm just guessing there might be some financial aspects that and since you weren't getting a lot of positive feedback, that could cause concern.

Either way, as you've seen there are quite a few people who like the visuals so you have something solid to build on.  Now, if you can get interesting gameplay  Wink

Speaking of people who might be interested in it, you could also go for cyber/sci-fi as well e.g. Ghost in the Shell fans.  Another manga/anime that actually has more resemblance is BLAME!  There, it's actually a guy what walks around huge environment with a *special* gun and there are plenty of cyborgs that try to kill him.  

It all started with a vague idea of a girl with a huge gun.
Yep, I'm quite sure that's how Aliens started!  Cheesy

stewiepixels
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2017, 05:20:13 AM »

Looks sweet! Definitely has a unique style. Smiley  Kind of like Alien universe meets BLAME! universe.

Either way, as you've seen there are quite a few people who like the visuals so you have something solid to build on.  Now, if you can get interesting gameplay  Wink

Speaking of people who might be interested in it, you could also go for cyber/sci-fi as well e.g. Ghost in the Shell fans.  Another manga/anime that actually has more resemblance is BLAME!  There, it's actually a guy that walks around huge environment with a *special* gun and there are plenty of cyborgs that try to kill him. 

ooh can't believe how could I miss Blame :|   Just watched it yesterday. It has some great design elements. Definitely a good source for inspiration. 
  As for the motivation- I know it should not matter, the only thing you should do is to be disciplined, but it was kind of hard in the beginning since I wouldn't know people would like what I was working on or not. In fact,  I'm not worried about anymore. Not because I found out. It's just, as you said, knowing that a couple of people here like it is already enough for me. Someone said '' make the game you want to play and then you know for sure there's at least one person who would play it - you''. In my case, that's already more people than just me so I'm ok with it. Don't need a huge audience anyway.
 I did, however, have a target audience in mind - the people who love Alien and Metroid series. But my visual design changed a lot along the way. Let's see where it gets.   

Thank you for your insight.

AnomalousUnderdog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2017, 10:40:27 AM »

Been watching progress of this game for a long time but I just want to chime in, Blame! was the first thing that popped in my head too. And I mean that in a good way.

About the motivation, glad to hear you're sticking to it. I'd be bummed if this never saw the light of day. I think there just isn't enough of the kind of dark sci-fi game like you're making here.

ooh can't believe how could I miss Blame :|   Just watched it yesterday. It has some great design elements. Definitely a good source for inspiration. 

Definitely check out the manga if you liked the movie.

Also, as far as how the guns/weapons work, check out Gantz (the 3d film is pretty good).
the2bears
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2017, 03:13:32 PM »

Beautiful work, love the colour palette you chose.

the2bears  - the indie shmup blog
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2017, 05:23:36 AM »

really impressed with the artstyle you have here, looking forward to seeing things develop
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic