Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:33:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Sprite Help
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Sprite Help  (Read 3810 times)
Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2017, 12:38:59 PM »

People tell me that my use of contrast sucks for my sprites:

What can I do to improve my sprite?

This was my second shot:

Character:

Devlog<br /><br />[/
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 01:17:26 PM »

second one is much better
in sonic games that blue collar would be an important element in that character color scheme, here i noticed it from the third glance, and i still keep on finding new stuff.
If i didnt saw a drawing, i would not know about that white hat thing on sprite, i would remove it completely even if thats a thing you wear in real life
Gloves and boots also kinda fall off the color scheme, but that maybe because that white thing muddying it
Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 01:32:55 PM »

second one is much better
in sonic games that blue collar would be an important element in that character color scheme, here i noticed it from the third glance, and i still keep on finding new stuff.
If i didnt saw a drawing, i would not know about that white hat thing on sprite, i would remove it completely even if thats a thing you wear in real life
Gloves and boots also kinda fall off the color scheme, but that maybe because that white thing muddying it

I tried to make the dark purple alternate with the bright yellow in his spiky hair to make the white hat stand out against the deep purple. Any ideas on the hat? It's kind of a big thing to just remove.

Devlog<br /><br />[/
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 10:51:28 PM »

I tried to make the dark purple alternate with the bright yellow in his spiky hair to make the white hat stand out against the deep purple. Any ideas on the hat? It's kind of a big thing to just remove.
make it boots color or stop wearing it irl, you cant build your personality around a piece of clothing, our generation learned it hard way with trenchcoats and fedoras.
his eyes already stand out, hat just adds a colourless line that segment the composition in a weird way
lyon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 06:01:41 PM »

I second the call to make the hat the same color, or at least try to make it a similar color to the boots just for general coherence's sake. The hat does wind up feeling like a small detail that is easily missed on the design of the sprite, maybe one thing to consider is having the hat be more of a focus the way it is in the concept art? ie: try having it covering an eye or even just facing the viewer as opposed to flipped the other way. That might save it from having to have the color changed too.

I'd also make the purple parts of the hair take up more of the hair's space. In the drawing, I get more of a sense that it is darker hair with yellow tips/highlights, in the sprite it looks like it started yellow and the purple was added as an after-thought. Think of the purple as being the base color, and the yellow as a highlight, if that makes sense. I'd do the same for the body too.
Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 06:23:29 PM »

Thanks for your input,

I've changed so much of my spite since posting this.

I've decided to both keep and remove the hat.

Sincerely

Oekaki-Sama
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:16:55 AM by Oekaki-Sama » Logged

Devlog<br /><br />[/
Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 01:16:24 AM »

Completely removed the hat, anything else

Devlog<br /><br />[/
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 03:37:33 AM »

One of the key uses of multiple colours in these kinda designs is to seperate out the body parts so they're clear and readable in small scales. That's why sonics arms are skin tone, so they don't get lost in his body on the sprite art

Try using the yellow and purple colours more to separate out his body parts.
Woseseltops
Level 0

Language technologist by day, gamedev by night

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 01:29:33 AM »

Not sure if it's the kind of feedback you're looking for, but I feel the colors in your background are so bright that it's hard to make out where the background ends and the foreground begins. Maybe the colors in the background could be a bit more saturated or much darker or lighter than the character?
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 10:11:21 AM »

normally you want to desaturate/decontrast background colors. faking the effect of humidity in the atmosphere kind of thing, fog. also because you don't want the background to scream for attention when the foreground is most important.

Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 11:31:04 AM »

Posterized the color of the background, and made the purple extend further up her arm to show her body. Everything should be more readable now

Devlog<br /><br />[/
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 11:53:03 AM »

Its hard to edit because of all the colors, i just added a tint to get the aerial perspective, but its not enough

You should use black on environment with care or maybe not use at all. Its definetely a no-no on far background objects. Reduce the color pallete and unify the colors, thatl help.

Heres a useful image:
Woseseltops
Level 0

Language technologist by day, gamedev by night

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 12:08:44 PM »

Weird question maybe, but is there a way you could provide the background and foreground separately? I want to show you what I would do with the background colors Smiley.
Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 07:56:55 AM »

Here's with a magenta hue, with the arms more visible. The animation looks strange and terrible because it's been butchered by my GIF encoder. I don't know how to change the settings.

Here is the current background

Devlog<br /><br />[/
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 10:24:29 AM »

right now its pretty dissonant. i would recommend trying to fish out colors from alien soldier or sonic scrrenshots and find the structure in it. Open any image editor, grab a color pick and look at them in color wheel, they generally use opposite colors and see how much they move in a pallet.
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 11:57:14 AM »

Take all your colors and put them together on a palette and you will see that they do not look good together at all. Just focusing on putting together a good palette, start with 3-5 colors and keep swapping out colors or shifting their hue/saturation/values until they look good together and then stick to that base scheme for your background (and sprites, etc.).

For a good example of that, check out ColourLovers for color scheme ideas, they have a ton of user-created schemes that are arranged like so:

Better yet do some research on color harmonies:

When I get a little more time today I will dig into your image and see if I can recommend something that keeps the spirit of what you are going for without ending up chaotic.

EDIT: In the meantime I whipped up the following example of that concept used in games. Note that there are more colors used in backgrounds than what is on the base palette (for example, the off-white tables in the FF6 one or the magenta and yellow flowers in the Secret of Mana one) but the main point is to have a strong base so that all those wild-card colors pop out and more importantly the player, enemy, powerups, etc. sprites pop out. Also note, you don't exclusively use the exact colors on the base palette, but rather they act as the colors you branch out from (which is what allows they overall image to stay cohesive).

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 12:30:15 PM by JWK5 » Logged

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 09:43:47 AM »

I tried switching palettes to the ones used in Alien Soldier/Sonic but it doesn't work.

Here's what I have so far:

Devlog<br /><br />[/
JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 04:36:55 PM »

The problem is not going to be solved by grabbing this palette or that palette, the problem is that your choice in color scheme (i.e. the combination of colors used in your composition) look pretty terrible together (this is not to say something nice looking couldn't be made with them):

Take a look at my last post, you need to have coherence in your colors. It all needs to fit together nicely, you need to reduce the visual chaos. Another example I could give is the following:

Take some time to practice color harmony.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:03:31 PM by JWK5 » Logged

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
JWK5
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »

One more, since you are doing a Sonic-like game. The colors in the screenshot I used are pretty close to the ones you used for your scene (just less muddy) but they are still arrange well:

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 09:51:24 PM »

IMO, despite the point about harmonising colours, the background in Sonic is still way too shouty and saturated and not at all easy on my eyes, even if the readability and palette is better. I still prefer a toned down background. Tongue

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic