Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:09:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[PRE-ALPHA DEMO] My Neighbor Who Once Was a Doctor but Then Became a Farmer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: [PRE-ALPHA DEMO] My Neighbor Who Once Was a Doctor but Then Became a Farmer  (Read 11577 times)
Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2017, 06:06:04 AM »

-=Early Pre-Alpha Available=-
An early pre-alpha version of this game is available at itch.io for testing purposes. We want to know if people would be interested in this game, and would want to see it finished. So if you could please leave a comment at itch.io page that would mean a lot to us. Thank you!

-=Synopsis=-

My Neighbor Who Once Was a Doctor but Then Became a Farmer (abbreviated as MNWOWDBTBF) is a physics based farming/nonsense simulator. You take a role of Bedford (based on a real life person), a man who quits well-paid job as a doctor to pursuit his dream of becoming a farmer. Even though this good-hearted character is lacking any kind of social or farming skills (as a matter of fact he could not tell a difference between a chicken and potato), and his hygiene is questionable, that doesn't stop him from striving to become the best farmer in the world!!!!!

-=Gameplay=-

-Grow food-
One of the essential part of becoming a farmer is learning how to grow crops. Bedford, on the other hand, has his own understanding on how to do that. He might grow his wheat outside, he might grow them inside his house, and he might even build a 20 feet high wooden trestle if he runs out of space.

-Raise animals-
Bedford loves animals, that’s why he’s building an underground lair where he can keep them safely. There are 6 different type of animals you can raise (legally and illegally), each with their own properties.

-Help treat sick people-
Even though you quit your job as a doctor and now your medical license is just a crayon drawing on a piece of cardboard , you can still make a good junk of money out of treating your town folk.  However if any of your patients die don’t forget to hide a body.

-Be a good neighbor-
It is very important to keep your relationships with your neighbors at highest point possible. So keep garbage on your side of a grass, avoid going to neighbor’s house naked, and, for the love of all that is holy, do not try to hide the corpses of your dead animals in their backyard.

-=Features=-

- Physics based world - throw your stuff around.
- 19 different crops to grow and 7 species of animals to raise - turnips and cows, cabbages and pigs, cherries and cobras. -
- Upgrades - improve your tools, expand the house, furnish your rooms, learn new skills.
- Crafting - a whole lot of crafting possibilities.
- Neighbors - gotta love ‘em.
- Pixelated art style - there are at least 2 pixels.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 03:04:50 PM by 7box » Logged
foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 12:43:44 PM »

A side-scrolling farming sim! I have been fantasizing about something like this for ages! And I love that you can keep working as a doctor, too.

Also, you mentioned turnips, cabbages and cherries, but then you showed wheat in a GIF. Just HOW many crops are we talking about here?!

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 09:12:13 PM »

The character animations and physics look nice.  I fully support the concept also.  I'm not sold on the title, but I'm eager to see more.  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 01:12:02 PM »

A side-scrolling farming sim! I have been fantasizing about something like this for ages! And I love that you can keep working as a doctor, too.

Also, you mentioned turnips, cabbages and cherries, but then you showed wheat in a GIF. Just HOW many crops are we talking about here?!

Thanks foofter. Currently we are planning to have wheat, turnips, tomatoes, cabbages & cherries + grass to feed your livestock. Also you'll be able buy some illegal seeds & animals from a mafia, which you'll have to grow in the basement or attic.

The character animations and physics look nice.  I fully support the concept also.  I'm not sold on the title, but I'm eager to see more.  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thanks Andy. Yeah the title is pretty long, that is why we have an abbreviated version which simply rolls of your tongue. Smiley
Xorglord
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 02:41:13 PM »

I'm interested to see how a 2d farming sim plays out. Sounds like it would be a bunch of fun. Are you pre-making a map, or having it generate?

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »

A doctor with questionable hygiene who becomes a farmer? Sounds weird, sign me up.

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 01:02:21 AM »

I'm interested to see how a 2d farming sim plays out. Sounds like it would be a bunch of fun. Are you pre-making a map, or having it generate?

Hey Xorglord, most of the map will be pre-made, however we're still playing with the idea of having some generated parts like caves or mines, which would re-generate every time you'd end the day.

A doctor with questionable hygiene who becomes a farmer? Sounds weird, sign me up.

It is pretty weird, also not having a valid medical license doesn't help either. Smiley
Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »

Added a parallax scrolling to get that sense of depth.

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »

lmao, I love how much it subverts one of my favorite genres. Interested to see where this goes.

ODINKONG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 06:18:43 PM »

This is a pretty fantastic Idea. I like that you decided its going to be nice and physical too. I love when he throws the bed. Making it physics driven is a great way to keep it separated from games like terarria and star bound. Technically they are side scrolling games where you can farm, but they are not physics driven at all. This has the potential to do a lot more with objects and their physical uses as opposed to in menu crafting. just be careful not to have the player watering 20 plants in a row every day that could get tiresome quickly. This games strength will be physics driven comedy but it seems like you fully understand that and are on the right track! keep up the good work!

Raven's Path By Evil Villian Games
Dev Log : https://forums.tigsource.com/inde
Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 01:37:31 PM »

lmao, I love how much it subverts one of my favorite genres. Interested to see where this goes.

Thanks Josh, we tried to look at the good ol' farming sim genre from a different point of view, make it more chaotic and wacky.

This is a pretty fantastic Idea. I like that you decided its going to be nice and physical too. I love when he throws the bed. Making it physics driven is a great way to keep it separated from games like terarria and star bound. Technically they are side scrolling games where you can farm, but they are not physics driven at all. This has the potential to do a lot more with objects and their physical uses as opposed to in menu crafting. just be careful not to have the player watering 20 plants in a row every day that could get tiresome quickly. This games strength will be physics driven comedy but it seems like you fully understand that and are on the right track! keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot, physics play an important role in this game, as you mentioned, it gives a little bit of comic relief, you can basically pick up & throw around anything that is not bolted to the ground, from your furniture to cows and pigs.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 07:15:01 AM »

My Neighbor Who Once Was a Doctor but Then Became a Farmer

By which I mean: subbed
Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 10:25:59 AM »

By which I mean: subbed

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 02:06:59 PM »

Inventory bar draft No 1.

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 03:09:38 PM »

Resources, like wood or stone, play an important role in MNWOWDBTBF, you'll be using it to build stuff, selling it as a last resort to get some money or maybe even burning it to keep your place warm on those cold winter nights.

Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 06:23:41 PM »

good farmer

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 01:50:44 PM »

For the last few days we've been working on updating UI and HUD. Even though it's one of the more bland work, UI still plays an important part in the game.

HUD

HUD now shows date and time, money owned, energy, Character's "mood" (smiling face) and "hunger" (stomach icon).

Energy - is basically your fuel meter, every action depletes your energy, and once it hits 0 you can't work no more. There are ways to replenish it, however the best one is to end the day and go to bed.

Hunger - pretty much self-explanatory stat. Hunger increases overnight so you have to make sure that your fridge has at least one can of potted meat. The hungrier you are the faster your energy drops while working.

Mood - when harvesting your crops, there's a chance you'll get double the amount of vegetables/fruits than usual, the mood is responsible for that. The higher mood level - the bigger chance for double crops.

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 11:31:01 AM »

Lol I like the vibe of the bald guy holding a scythe (or sickle?) in a sad worn-down room.

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 03:01:22 PM »

Lol I like the vibe of the bald guy holding a scythe (or sickle?) in a sad worn-down room.

Yup, you'll be able to furnish those sad rooms with even sadder furniture as well.

UPDATE

We are still working on UI and all the "behind the scene" work, so in the meantime here is a picture of "Owl Hill Store" a place where you'll buy food, seeds, livestock and of course fertilizer. Oh yeah, we also updated a toolbar removing the unnecessary slots.

lyon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »

God the animations of things tumbling around are super satisfying, can't wait to feel trees and throw furniture around
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic