Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:12:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[PRE-ALPHA DEMO] My Neighbor Who Once Was a Doctor but Then Became a Farmer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: [PRE-ALPHA DEMO] My Neighbor Who Once Was a Doctor but Then Became a Farmer  (Read 11576 times)
PsycheMac
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 02:08:35 AM »

I really like this idea. Do you have to be good or is there a way to do bad things to people around you too?

Twitter: @PsycheMac
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 06:44:13 AM »

@PsychoMac asking the real important questions.  Evil

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »

God the animations of things tumbling around are super satisfying, can't wait to feel trees and throw furniture around

Thanks lyon.

I really like this idea. Do you have to be good or is there a way to do bad things to people around you too?

Thanks, there are parts where you can be a jerk. A part of the game consist of maintaining relationships with your neighbor, you can either be friendly, or go around naked, spilling trash and cow dumps in their yard and ruining their favorite flower garden. Also as a doctor you'll be able to mess around with your patients, like prescribing a wrong medicine, which might cause them to die, or giving them laxatives (we all know where this is heading). On top of that you'll be able to do some illegal stuff and kill your livestock. In general Bedford is not a bad character, he just doesn't understand the consequences of his actions and likes to do things his way.
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 03:08:14 PM »

Oh wait what, he's still a doctor? I figured he quit that to become a farmer

I hope there's a 1 hour minigame where you have to wash your hands

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 09:44:10 PM »

Quote from: 7box
Thanks, there are parts where you can be a jerk. A part of the game consist of maintaining relationships with your neighbor, you can either be friendly, or go around naked, spilling trash and cow dumps in their yard and ruining their favorite flower garden. Also as a doctor you'll be able to mess around with your patients, like prescribing a wrong medicine, which might cause them to die, or giving them laxatives (we all know where this is heading). On top of that you'll be able to do some illegal stuff and kill your livestock. In general Bedford is not a bad character, he just doesn't understand the consequences of his actions and likes to do things his way.

2 things:

1) yassssssssss
2) Are you worried about scope creep?

Quote from: Josh @ WARP DOGS

To get the patients' blood off. Before farming. Wink

EDIT: Sidenote, I realized I also know a doctor who is now a farmer. He used to run the neuroscience lab I worked in! Now retired to his farm. No joke.

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 02:04:46 AM »

Oh wait what, he's still a doctor? I figured he quit that to become a farmer

Yeah, he did quit, however his farming skills are subpar and he still wants to buy that new tractor, so he must find a way to make more money. Treating people can be lucrative and since Bedford does have some knowledge and experience in that, he does it (from time to time) illegally, without medical license or at least with the one he drew himself. Oh and also, Bedford is not into all that washing stuff, he just lets it dry off.

2) Are you worried about scope creep?

As a matter of fact that's exactly what happened with the previous game we worked on. We kept adding new stuff and redesigning the game until (after more than a year of development) it became so big we decided to cancel it. That failure, however taught us a lot and we became wiser. Now we have this project documented and properly defined, of course we still come up with new ideas, but we agreed not to implement them until the game is done, so it's like we will expand it one step at a time. That is why we're planing to finish this game with in next 2-3 months.

EDIT: Sidenote, I realized I also know a doctor who is now a farmer. He used to run the neuroscience lab I worked in! Now retired to his farm. No joke.

That's hilarious, they both are spiritual brothers. Bedford is based on a real life person too, of course in the game some of his characteristics are a bit exaggerated.
Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 02:14:08 PM »

Finishing up all the UI stuff, in the meantime here is a store control box (as you can tell descriptions are still missing):

...and a grid control box, (in this .gif a shipping container box, it's a place where you can sell your crops, resources etc.):

More in depth info on these control boxes coming up soon.
Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2017, 01:53:14 PM »

Furnish your house to make it look less loathsome...

... and then just make a complete chaos.

You'll have to buy most of the furniture you see in gifs from the local carpenter, he can also upgrade your house by building second floor, attic or additional 6 levels of basement, where, of course, you can raise your livestock.

And yes, Bedford is the strongest man alive, lifting stuff up like it's no big deal.
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2017, 07:55:34 PM »

Can you do that to a neighbor's house? because that could be very satisfying

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2017, 06:48:51 AM »

Of course, however neighbors might get angry if you do so, which would decrease relationship (with neighbors) level.
Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2017, 08:15:12 AM »

This makes no sense.
I like it.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2017, 11:33:31 AM »

Of course, however neighbors might get angry if you do so, which would decrease relationship (with neighbors) level.

This is accurate to my experiences in real life, so it makes sense

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2017, 02:44:39 PM »

This game looks like one of the more original ideas on the indie scene!

Question, do you outline your characters with "stroke"? It looks like the way stroke comes out on some of my pixels! It definitely makes things look very unique, I really don't see anyone outline pixel art with such thick borders!

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2017, 05:20:36 AM »

Question, do you outline your characters with "stroke"? It looks like the way stroke comes out on some of my pixels! It definitely makes things look very unique, I really don't see anyone outline pixel art with such thick borders!

Thank you!

No, we actually do not use stroke effect, it's simply the same sprite (stretched out and colored black) drawn behind the original sprite. We are using program called Spine to animate objects, so we do not have to draw animation frame by frame so this technique works like a charm. As for inanimate objects, the borders are drawn by hand, since stroke effect doesn't always work well, especially with pixel art.
Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2017, 01:16:26 PM »

Added two new materials: iron ore and sand, since we are planing to include a crafting aspect into the game, we thought that wood and stone alone might limit crafting possibilities and variety. More news on crafting coming soon.

JindrichP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2017, 01:52:31 PM »

I love the premise of this game. It sounds so absurd that it is cool and somewhat thrilling. My only question is: Are you really going to become the best farmer in the world? Or is it going to be 100% parody? Being best farmer reminds me of Pokemon (best trainer, gonna catch them all). :-D But I guess there can´t be any "crop battles". :-D

Currently working on Xenofil
Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 08:19:03 AM »

I love the premise of this game. It sounds so absurd that it is cool and somewhat thrilling. My only question is: Are you really going to become the best farmer in the world? Or is it going to be 100% parody? Being best farmer reminds me of Pokemon (best trainer, gonna catch them all). :-D But I guess there can´t be any "crop battles". :-D

Thank you. This all "best farmer in the world" battle is more or less in the head of Bedford. He believes that everything he does is an equivalent of a top notch farmer, yet he fails miserably every time. I guess he wants to be the best in the world, but eventually ends up on the other end of the spectrum.
Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2017, 12:47:49 PM »

Finished with house upgrades. There are three types of upgrades:

1. Furniture - most of it is just for decoration while others might have a secondary function (we still haven't decided), so for example you'll be able to change your outfits once you buy a wardrobe or wash a dirt of your face in the bathtub.

2. House enlargement - expand your house by adding second and third floor, now there is even more space for your shenanigans. Every floor also adds more activities to the game. For example there is a doctors office on the second floor, so patients start knocking on your door once you build a second floor.

3. More basement levels - similar to house enlargement, the only difference is: instead of going up you are digging down. Every level adds more activity as well, like raising livestock (yup he does that in the basement).

Sebastian_Nigro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »

I'm already sold on this. Can't wait to play it!
thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2017, 05:45:54 PM »

Thank you!

No, we actually do not use stroke effect, it's simply the same sprite (stretched out and colored black) drawn behind the original sprite. We are using program called Spine to animate objects, so we do not have to draw animation frame by frame so this technique works like a charm. As for inanimate objects, the borders are drawn by hand, since stroke effect doesn't always work well, especially with pixel art.

I'll have to check out spine, I do all my animations frame by frame, not sure how much justice that's doing me!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic