Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:28:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[PRE-ALPHA DEMO] My Neighbor Who Once Was a Doctor but Then Became a Farmer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: [PRE-ALPHA DEMO] My Neighbor Who Once Was a Doctor but Then Became a Farmer  (Read 11582 times)
Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »

Bedford was never so baffled in his life. Everything looked so different once he entered his neighbor's house. Clean windows, no cow doodoos on the table, rat-free kitchen and toilet that is not clogged with a dead rabbits.

Yeah, so basically this is neighbor's house, tidy and neat. Your main goal here is to keep the relationship level with your neighbors at highest level possible. Why? Well you see that brown box at the start of a gif? Every week neighbors requires some goods (milk, strawberries, wheat...). And you are the one that can help them out. Also they pay a lot more than your regular buyer. So neighbors are willing to pay you more, the high your relationship is.

You can either decrease level buy messing up their rooms, ruining their favorite flower garden or letting your dog poop in their yard.

Or increase it by supplying them what they require.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:15:13 PM by 7box » Logged
lyon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2017, 07:23:28 PM »

Is there any benefit (if you'd call it that) to decreasing relationship with neighbors? Or I guess I mean does it impact things in a way where you'd WANT to be bad? Like any sort of alternate content that you'd get from like a "bad" play-through?

I mean even just the notion of being able to annoy the neighbors by messing up their house might be motivation enough for me, just for the fun of it haha
CosmicCrystal
Level 0

// GalactaGirl // HellStar Squadron //

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2017, 07:59:55 PM »

The wheat field GIF has a really unsettling tone to it for some reason. Like something out of a horror film. Also, what a magnificent title. I dig it!

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2017, 01:13:59 PM »

Is there any benefit (if you'd call it that) to decreasing relationship with neighbors? Or I guess I mean does it impact things in a way where you'd WANT to be bad? Like any sort of alternate content that you'd get from like a "bad" play-through?

I mean even just the notion of being able to annoy the neighbors by messing up their house might be motivation enough for me, just for the fun of it haha

In current stage there are only consequences. If relationship level drops below 1, the neighbor might go into berserk mode where he would come to YOUR house and start throwing stuff around. But we are still adding things to the game and this idea you gave is quite interesting so we might expand neighbor's role. Thanks a lot!

The wheat field GIF has a really unsettling tone to it for some reason. Like something out of a horror film. Also, what a magnificent title. I dig it!

Thank you! Yeah that's a scene from a cult horror movie "Children of the wheat".
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2017, 02:14:51 PM »

Neighbors going berserk is a must-have feature. I love this game more and more with every bit of new information.

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2017, 01:16:52 PM »

Neighbors going berserk is a must-have feature. I love this game more and more with every bit of new information.

Thanks!

UPDATE:

We are finally done with the neighbors, there are still few things that needs to be done, but they are at last walking, breathing things so to speak. It was a bit tricky task to code their AI, if you could call it that, but in my opinion neighbors turned out pretty fun. Here they are Agnes and Reginald, the latter is trying hard to clean up the mess Bedford just made.

lyon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2017, 12:22:41 PM »

If relationship level drops below 1, the neighbor might go into berserk mode where he would come to YOUR house and start throwing stuff around.

Well hey even THAT sounds like good fun on its own  Evil
subliminalman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2017, 01:36:06 PM »

Can you go on quests with the Neighbors?

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »

Can you go on quests with the Neighbors?

Not really, your from different social strata, it's like Lady and the Tramp thing except without happy ending.

UPDATE:

We are currently working on a lot of backstage stuff, so we don't have much to show. Anyways here are some cows Bedford's planning to raise in his basement.

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2017, 11:09:04 AM »

For the past few weeks we've been trying to put the game together into a working entity, also adding a lot of small details. One of them is a bubble cloud, a tiny feature that adds some clarity to the game.

Also this gif demonstrates a new sowing animation we did ages ago.

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2017, 11:40:42 AM »

So here it is level 2 basement (almost done), a place of all your homemade machinery (at least legal ones), like masonry oven made of car muffler and tires.

So basically level 2 basement is a place where all of your crafted machinery goes. These brilliant inventions grant you an ability to produce various product from your crops, which later can be sold to a local snack bar owner.

Alce
Level 0

Twitter: @Alce_X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2017, 01:37:09 PM »

First time seeing this, and as others have said, love the 2D take on the farming genre and the physical feel it has! Basement looks wacky, does having more machines let you produce more products and faster?

Aspiring chilean game dev. Likes artsy/experimental stuff.
Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2017, 05:23:16 AM »

First time seeing this, and as others have said, love the 2D take on the farming genre and the physical feel it has! Basement looks wacky, does having more machines let you produce more products and faster?

Yeah, the more machinery you have the faster and more varied products you'll be able to produce. You can also destroy your machines and build a different ones in its place.
Romain Rope
Level 0

Game Audio SwissArmy Knife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2017, 05:35:18 AM »

"physics based farming/nonsense simulator"
I'm sold.

ROMAIN ROPE

Sound Designer / Composer
ROMAINROPE.COM
@RomainRope

Zombie Night Terror @ZN_Terror
Wanderer @Wanderer_Game
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2017, 11:27:35 AM »

I am very worried about the carbon monoxide poisoning in that basement

Seriously it looks lovely. The nonsense levels are just right

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2017, 01:34:06 PM »

I am very worried about the carbon monoxide poisoning in that basement

Seriously it looks lovely. The nonsense levels are just right

Thanks and don't worry there is a ventilation duct, he also keeps his door open, well most of the time at least. Besides those masonry ovens spit out an equivalent amount of smoke of merely a SMALL burning tire factory, so it's all good.

Ayramen_Studio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2017, 02:10:51 PM »

Things falling are really mesmerizing to see! Is it animated with physics?

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2017, 01:04:59 PM »

Things falling are really mesmerizing to see! Is it animated with physics?

All the animation was done with a program called Spine, however most of objects in a game work in a physics world and has physical properties to increase wackiness factor.

-----

In other news. A local man builds his own production machinery in his basement and produces highest quality dishes that is successfully sold to a nearby snack bar. Products include burnt raspberry rolls, moldy cucumber buns, and wonder juice - made of sauerkraut, chili peppers & lemons with worms in it. Some people wait several ours to get a chance to taste these finest delicacies .

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »

By happenstance I just watched the episode of Community where they're in a pixel art game. Then when I looked at your screenshots I was like "wow, actually..."

The mechanics and the visuals (the bald farmer = Pierce?) actually seem kinda similar. Have you seen the episode?  Smiley

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2017, 01:26:44 PM »

By happenstance I just watched the episode of Community where they're in a pixel art game. Then when I looked at your screenshots I was like "wow, actually..."

The mechanics and the visuals (the bald farmer = Pierce?) actually seem kinda similar. Have you seen the episode?  Smiley

I used to watch Community and remember quite liking it, though i never got past second season, so i haven't seen this particular episode, but i did see some clips from it and the game's graphic designer haven't even heard of this show. I do see some similarities, but Bedford's design is based on a real life character.

P.S. Now you intrigued me to watch some more Community.  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic