Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:45:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeBiggest "learn it the hard way" project?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Biggest "learn it the hard way" project?  (Read 5446 times)
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 07:23:22 PM »

Ha, I also have an epic RPG I want to make. I've started it twice now. In the past I didn't have the practical knowledge to make a project of this scope- I started as a visual artist and didn't really understand programming very well. Another thing that has hurt me is that I've still got a way to go toward learning how to work happily and productively on a large project. While I love making games, I sometimes flounder and get overwhelmed by large projects.

But my first abandoned project was a point and click adventure game. It may or may not ever get revived. It was a classic case of an overambitious first project that got derailed by poor planning, too much perfectionism, and self-sabotage. I think both of these projects, but this one in particular, would have faired much better had I been sensible and completed a string of smaller games beforehand.

I think having good friends who also love games helps make large projects sustainable. It's much easier to overcome one's own lack of confidence if there are one or two people giving one a morale boost or a friendly nudge in the right direction if things get tough. The enthusiast community, and TIGS in particular, has been really helpful to me in finally getting to the point where I can sometimes finish what I've started.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic