Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1340745 Posts in 61249 Topics- by 52755 Members - Latest Member: plurm

June 19, 2018, 06:54:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Void (Title WIP): Devlog
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Void (Title WIP): Devlog  (Read 995 times)
Sokuaisushi
Level 0

Sole Developer of The Void (Title WIP)

View Profile WWW
« on: July 30, 2017, 12:35:33 AM »

(WIP Title, I realize there is a game with that name...)

A top-down shooter style rpg. Using concepts from many different games, real physics, and procedural generation to create a vast game with tons of replayability. The game will feature fast and intense precision-based combat, challenging boss battles, interesting and complex puzzles, a vast open world and a memorable story-line. Customize your ship and equip it with the best possible gear in order to truly master the vastness of the void that is space. Fight your way to the center of the galaxy, or die trying...

Screenshots -

For more screenshots just click here!

Features -
Green = Finished   Orange = In Progress   Red = Not Started

Physics Based Movement and controls
Orbital physics and gravity
Dynamic normal mapping system for sprites
Minimap System
Menus and Options
Stats for ships
Dynamic weapons
Infinite Space Generator
Procedural Nebula Generator
Procedurally generated star systems
Dynamic and intuitive AI
Dynamic faction behavior
Procedural enemy generation
Procedural item generation
Ship and player customization
Planets orbiting stars
Main story-line plot
Game optimization
Better Art
Sounds
Procedural quest generation
Procedurally generated dungeons (Freighters and Super Carriers) to find, loot, and/or destroy
Feats/perks for ships as they level
Dialogue system
Storyline dialogues
Quest System
Puzzle mechanics
Title, title screen, and main theme/logo
Saving and Loading

Devlog #5

Well I posted it here today, but this was really done on Saturday. However, I've been fairly busy with the social media accounts that I've set up for The Void (feel free to follow them if you'd like to get more frequent updates) as well as the game itself of course.

I've nearly finished the procedural star system generator now, as I've finished the infinite star field and nebula chunk generator, so now you can fly in any direction, virtually forever.

I've got stars and their asteroid fields spawning procedurally around space as you fly, as well as enemies. So now technically you could play forever, though that would be extremely dull at the moment.

Everything that spawns does so procedurally and so when you fly back to the same place the enemies you killed will be gone, and the enemies you didn't will still be there, and every star/nebula/gas cloud will be in the same exact place as it was when you passed it the first time.

I've also begun to optimize the game some now by using object pooling on things I was instantiating and destroying before. This results in 30+ fps average in the editor while profiling, fully zoomed out and traveling at high speed. There are still some slight slowdowns due to the large amount of moving 2d physics objects at any given point in time however. I believe I can fix that by update pooling the physics objects, but it is not so bad that I will worry about that right now.

I hope to have a free demo for everyone to criticize on Itch.io here in the next month or two, so stay tuned if you'd like to give some feedback!

Previous Devlogs
Devlog #1
Devlog #2
Devlog #3
Devlog #4

Any comments, suggestions, criticism, or feedback are all greatly appreciated. I hope your projects are going well, and thank you for reading about my little project!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:56:23 AM by Sokuaisushi » Logged

A fast, yet still rogue-like RPG.

Facebook - Twitter - Trailer - Video Devlog
Sokuaisushi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 08:35:19 PM »

I've created a basic trailer for The Void!

I've also finalized the topic, as well as added screenshots to it.

Let me know what you all think of my idea for The Void, and what you think of the normal mapping for the sprites! Smiley
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:27:54 PM by Sokuaisushi » Logged

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 10:46:47 PM »

Looks like a nice start! You really got that lasers flying all over the place vibe from Star Wars going. Feels hectic. I do sound and music stuff if you ever need, I'm here Gentleman

Sokuaisushi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 06:55:24 AM »

Looks like a nice start! You really got that lasers flying all over the place vibe from Star Wars going. Feels hectic. I do sound and music stuff if you ever need, I'm here Gentleman

Thank you so much for your kind words! I was definitely going for a hectic, fast paced bullet hell style feel for the combat, so I'm glad in seemed to have nailed that aspect! I definitely used Starwars as inspiration for this project, and it's good to know some of that is already shining through.

I'm definitely no good at sounds, nor music. However I also have no funds to pay for these yet either. Around early October I hope to be able to afford to pay you or someone like you to make sounds for me. In the meantime I will likely use placeholder sounds that I made or that are royalty free.

PapayaSean
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 11:04:31 AM »

This is pretty cool, I like the old school asteroids feel. One piece of advice I might give is that there is a little bit too much going on here, it's hard to keep my focus on what's going on around the player character, maybe making the camera follow the player a little closer and tighter might give this a nice feeling Smiley
Kevin G
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 12:05:47 PM »

I know it's only a prototype, but I would try to make the camera lag behind the ship's movement.  In addition, I think that when the ship is moving the camera should move to the opposite side of the screen.  The idea is that you want as much screen space as possible in front of the ship and a limited amount behind it. Also, a bit of inertia on the ship would also make the game feel more like the classic asteroids game. 

I'll see if I can find a good example of what I'm talking about, but so far it looks like it's going to be a ton of fun.  Great work so far.
Sokuaisushi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 04:39:11 PM »

This is pretty cool, I like the old school asteroids feel. One piece of advice I might give is that there is a little bit too much going on here, it's hard to keep my focus on what's going on around the player character, maybe making the camera follow the player a little closer and tighter might give this a nice feeling Smiley

Thank you so much for your kind words Smiley I was definitely using Asteroids as an inspiration so you hit the nail on the head there!

I will keep your advice on my mind as well, however the trailer is a bit misleading. It was only capturing a small portion of the screen around the center of my screen and didn't show the whole game screen. I believe this is what caused the trailer to look so chaotic and also made the player seem like he was nearly flying off screen constantly... If you want to see how the full game looks I have this screenshot of the full screen. Though I will definitely attempt a much better and more descriptive trailer next time around Smiley

I know it's only a prototype, but I would try to make the camera lag behind the ship's movement.  In addition, I think that when the ship is moving the camera should move to the opposite side of the screen.  The idea is that you want as much screen space as possible in front of the ship and a limited amount behind it. Also, a bit of inertia on the ship would also make the game feel more like the classic asteroids game. 

I'll see if I can find a good example of what I'm talking about, but so far it looks like it's going to be a ton of fun.  Great work so far.

While the GIF doesn't seem to accurately represent it, the screen does lag behind the player as they travel. This way the player can see where they are going, and any obstacles in front of them while they travel at high speeds. The amount that it lags behind the current target is adjustable as well, and so in the future I plan on making it a user option!

As for the ships, they do have inertia and visibly speed up and slow down. The GIF had to be lower FPS than the game runs at however and so it looks a bit jumpier in that then it does in the actual game. The video I posted shows this off a little better, but I can also adjust the artificial drag that the ships generate in order to make them more slippery in their handling, but for the test build I've set the player to have a fair amount of drag to make it easier to test.

Eventually I plan on making the engine thrust, torque, and artificial drag based on your currently equipped Thruster item. Some would be incredibly slippery, while higher quality ones would have higher top speeds and better handling.

Thanks a ton for all the great feedback too Smiley feedback is always greatly appreciated and I'm so glad to see the interest in the project as well!

Sokuaisushi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 04:48:23 PM »

A new custom menu and some new screenshots!

I need some help designing the look and feel of my GUI! I'm experienced at GUI development, but I'm no artist and have poor style when it comes to aesthetics so I need your help in choosing the color, layout and opacity of my menus! I would also like some constructive criticism on the 9-slice image I created for the menus.

Warning the screenshots below are pretty huge! (I have a 2k monitor)

Menu 9-slice

White text, black text or both?

Do brighter panels look better or worse?

Kevin G
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 04:59:57 PM »

I like your minimalist UU design and I think it is best for us programmers Smiley.   I'd create a few gradients in gimp that fade to transparent and try a blue / cyan for the color.  For some reason everyone thinks those colors are Sci-Fi. 

Sokuaisushi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 05:28:41 PM »

I like your minimalist UU design and I think it is best for us programmers Smiley.   I'd create a few gradients in gimp that fade to transparent and try a blue / cyan for the color.  For some reason everyone thinks those colors are Sci-Fi.

Thank you! It is definitely easiest for us programmers that's for sure haha. Easier to make, design and use!

Do you think I should allow the player to choose the color of their GUI? Or should I pick a blue and stick with it for the whole UI? Right now the UI color can be set to anything I want it to be inside the inspector.

As for the gradient, did you mean something like this?

Kevin G
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 11:45:02 AM »

The gradient certainly looks more professional. You might want to experiment with different gradient styles, angles, and transparency settings.

When it comes to options, I like the idea of including them, especially for Indie games. As an Indie developer, it's the kind of thing you can do that an AAA game developer might be told not to.
Sokuaisushi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 06:52:42 PM »

The gradient certainly looks more professional. You might want to experiment with different gradient styles, angles, and transparency settings.

When it comes to options, I like the idea of including them, especially for Indie games. As an Indie developer, it's the kind of thing you can do that an AAA game developer might be told not to.

Thank you! I will definitely do that as I begin to polish the look of the GUI. As for the options I wholeheartedly agree, I feel that part of the reason AAA games lack creative spirit is because the publishers tell the developers not to do something that they really want to do because they believe that would make it sell worse/uncohesive/just plain out not work. It's part of the greatness of indie developers is that we don't have the same restrictions and rules to adhere to.

Sokuaisushi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 07:03:10 PM »

Just some new graphic work/procedural generation methods

I have added some neat (I think) particles to the trail of the ships, and this trail can be colored to any tint to allow for the procedurally generated thruster item to determine the color of its trail upon generation. I've also added proper asteroid belts now, and a star can have any number of asteroid belts at any given minimum and maximum distances from the star they generated around. I've also begun work on a procedural nebula generator, though it still needs a considerable amount of work before it can be used. I also created a zoom in/out with the mouse wheel to allow the player to adjust their view size to whatever they want, or to expand the view when traveling at superluminal speeds via warp thrust.

Below are a few Gif's I made to show what I've been working on Smiley let me know what you think of the new trails and the nebula generator!

New Thruster Exhaust

First Iteration of the Nebula Generator

Second Iteration of the Nebula Generator

Proper Asteroid Belts

Edit: Oh and I also forgot... I made this neat nebula thing, until I decided I wanted to make procedural nebulae now its going to be left unused  Shrug

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:09:38 PM by Sokuaisushi » Logged

Sokuaisushi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 05:46:32 PM »

I've finished the procedural nebula generation

Below are some gif of me zooming in through the nebula clouds. Let me know what you think about the colors, and look/feel of the nebulae! I wanted to go for a cool volumetric look, and I think it looks pretty decent myself.

In addition to this I've been fixing bugs I find here and there, working on the GUI, and have begun to make some of the RPG mechanics now, such as stat points (or as they are called in my game System Points).

Sokuaisushi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 03:31:55 PM »

Devlog #2 is now finished!

Devlog 2 is posted below as well as in the main post. I've also made a new gif of myself flying through a nebula. Let me know what you guys and gals think!

Devlog #2

Join me as I continue my journey across the wonderful lands of indie game development. In this video I show off some of the new features and mechanics for the new top down shooter space opera style RPG I'm making called The Void (title is subject to change).

Sokuaisushi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 06:09:52 PM »

Devlog #3 is now finished!

Well it was really done on Saturday but I've been fairly busy with the social media accounts that I've set up for The Void (feel free to follow them if you'd like to get more frequent updates), as well as the game itself of course.

I've nearly finished the procedural star system generator now, as I've finished the infinite star field and nebula chunk generator, so now you can fly in any direction, virtually forever.

I've got stars and their asteroid fields spawning procedurally around space as you fly, as well as enemies. So now technically you could play forever, though that would be extremely dull at the moment.

Everything that spawns does so procedurally and so when you fly back to the same place the enemies you killed will be gone, and the enemies you didn't will still be there, and every star/nebula/gas cloud will be in the same exact place as it was when you passed it the first time.

I've also begun to optimize the game some now by using object pooling on things I was instantiating and destroying before. This results in 30+ fps average in the editor while profiling, fully zoomed out and traveling at high speed. There are still some slight slowdowns due to the large amount of moving 2d physics objects at any given point in time however. I believe I can fix that by update pooling the physics objects, but it is not so bad that I will worry about that right now.

I hope to have a free demo for everyone to criticize on Itch.io here in the next month or two, so stay tuned if you'd like to give some feedback!

Devlog #3

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic