Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:31:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCircles Five Ways - experiment
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Circles Five Ways - experiment  (Read 1510 times)
hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: July 30, 2017, 04:49:18 PM »

Hi all,

I made a new WebGL thing: Circles Five Ways. Its just a little puzzle-y experiment, trying to get the most out of the humble circle.

Play it online here:
https://lukeoc.itch.io/circles-five-ways

Interested to hear your feedback:
- Did you know how to interact with it?
- General thoughts/likes/dislikes?

Like I said, I just wanted to experiment with some interaction design stuff, but hopefully this will be a pleasant experience. Enjoy!

lfrazier
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 01:26:54 AM »

Very relaxing, almost therapeutic. Definitely a pleasant experience! At first I didn't know how to interact (mouse vs keyboard), but I figured it out pretty quickly and that feeling of discovery on each level helped me to stay engaged.
Karin E. Skoog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 05:09:25 AM »

Super cool! It took me a little while to realize the game had started (I just assumed my computer was being slow), but then it was intuitive.

It's been a while since I played something that surprised me in that way, and the sound design is great. Did you grab sounds off the internet?

The music-based one reminded me of when you try out an instrument you don't know, so you just try different patterns until you learn which note is which. I tried it out twice, and the first time I interacted with small areas, thinking there might be certain notes or a pattern I was supposed to figure out. The second time, I spammed it, so the screen disappeared very quickly. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed that it went away so quickly. : )

Any plans to continue developing this concept? You may want to add a screenshot to your post so people are more likely to try it out. I almost skipped over it, but the words "puzzle-y experiment" drew me in.

Thanks for sharing!

A "digital nomad" indiedev, traveling across Asia! Globetrotting Blog

@GoldenMooseCo
@BorneoGame
@KarinESkoog
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 09:39:42 AM »

That was a neat little game, with a nice sense of discovery and experimentation, I think! ^_^

My main critique would be that the first set of interactions goes on for a little too long--I was starting to wonder whether that was all that the game had to offer when the mechanic finally changed. (Unless I did something that's unclear to me--I did try clicking my mouse at around that time, I think.)

Chyme
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 01:43:52 AM »

That was a neat little game, with a nice sense of discovery and experimentation, I think! ^_^

My main critique would be that the first set of interactions goes on for a little too long--I was starting to wonder whether that was all that the game had to offer when the mechanic finally changed. (Unless I did something that's unclear to me--I did try clicking my mouse at around that time, I think.)

I'm going to have to parrot Thaumaturge here and say I was also a bit confused at the very beginning and was unsure if I was progressing or doing something wrong.

Other than that detail, I really enjoyed the discovery the game had to offer as well. I'd say your experiment was a success because I'd love to see more of this in the future! Nicely done.
hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 08:14:54 AM »

Thanks all for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed.

Good point about the first mechanic sticking around a bit too long. I think I'll reduce the number of steps required to complete this first "challenge".

It's been a while since I played something that surprised me in that way, and the sound design is great. Did you grab sounds off the internet?

I did get the sounds from the internet: mostly a lot of scouring of OpenGameArt assets, with a little tweaking in Audacity. Finding good audio is always a challenge, so I usually keep my audio design pretty minimal.

hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 04:58:21 PM »

Hey all, I've updated the game to shorten the intro scene a little bit. Hope this addresses the issues you were having
Circles Five Ways

FROGANUS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 07:53:08 AM »

Really cool.
Feeling-wise, reminds me of breezy sequences from a good puzzle game.

Aesthetically, reminds me of a Rafael Rozendaal piece.
Check out his mini-art-websites:
http://www.newrafael.com/websites/

-Fro-gAH-nus
hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 07:25:54 AM »

Thanks! And thanks for the link. There's definitely a similarity in the style - I'll be bookmarking this for some inspiration in the future.

belbeeno
Level 1

video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »

I will always be a fan of minimalist puzzle games, like Okay? or Hundreds.  I feel like the interactions would sell better on touch (especially tablets), but I didn't find it confusing at all on mouse & keyboard.  The way the sounds responded to user input was very satisfying and in some cases it felt like playing around on a sequencer.  I also like how concise the game is (even the name is straight to the point!).

I can't really think of anything to dislike... nice work!  I feel like the mechanics you explored could have useful applications in UI or as parts of a larger game, so be sure to keep these five ways towards the top of your bag of design tricks!  Smiley

@belbeeno - website
Buy my dang game, Factory Hiro!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic