Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:51:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTo Hell With Dave
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: To Hell With Dave  (Read 12376 times)
Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 11:35:16 AM »

Hi,

I'm getting close to a full year of developing the game. So much has changed during that time. I think I evolved as an artist, as a game developer and a human being. I have a goal in life. I learned to be consistent. I learned to work on my own, above all during times of self-doubt and desperation. The road might still be long and full of dangers and obstacles. But nothing can stop me now.

My candle burns at both ends;
   It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
   It gives a lovely light!
EDNA ST. VINCENT MILLAY

Last week was great. Everything seems to fall into place at the moment. Sometimes less is more. There is so much I would like to share with you about the game ... but not yet. I don't want to spoil the party.

The evolution of Dave as a character over the course of a year. But also the evolution of me.

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 06:55:14 AM »

Hi,

what a weekend. I hope you like creepy bunnies. His name is Leonard and he's wearing this suit since ... the 'incident'. Made the talking animation and his workplace (besides some level design stuff) over the weekend. Sorry for the german dialogues. He's saying something like: "One of the eyes is damaged. If you guys were involved in this, you're going to be in deep trouble. And stop staring at me, buddy." I think he's got massive potential to be some kind of epic end boss.

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 04:25:20 AM »

Hi,

it's friday again. Another week has passed. Time is such a strange construct. When I started out with 'To Hell With Dave' I was faced with the Herculean task of translating time, movement and action into reliable data.

I believe in the concept of keeping things minimal and simple, hence the size of that data was very important for what I wanted to achieve.

1. The required information per frame should not exceed 1 byte per object.
2. One buffer per object holding unsigned integer values aligned in a 1 byte order had to be enough.

There's no need to waste memory, even if you have plenty of it.

Translating the players movement and actions into reliable and precisely timed information can be achieved in many different and simple ways. But using that information in order to react to a changing environment is a bit more complex. I decided to record the players inputs in order to emulate the players actions instead of recording the movement and actions of the currently controlled object.

This is pretty much what I came up with. Some of the first lines of code I wrote for the game a long time ago. Also some of the very few lines that haven't changed since.

Code:

rec_action ^= (-(global.player_id.rkey) ^ rec_action) & (1 << 0);
    rec_action ^= (-(global.player_id.lkey) ^ rec_action) & (1 << 1);
    rec_action ^= (-(global.player_id.ukey) ^ rec_action) & (1 << 2);
    rec_action ^= (-(global.player_id.dkey) ^ rec_action) & (1 << 3);
    rec_action ^= (-(global.player_id.akey) ^ rec_action) & (1 << 4);
    rec_action ^= (-(global.player_id.bkey) ^ rec_action) & (1 << 5);
    rec_action ^= (-(global.player_id.ykey) ^ rec_action) & (1 << 6);
    rec_action ^= (-(global.player_id.xkey) ^ rec_action) & (1 << 7);
    buffer_poke(ghost_buffer, global.game_timer, buffer_u8, rec_action);

It might not be much, but I like it. Those few lines also had massive impact on later design decisions. But that's another story.

'One byte to rule them all, One Byte to find them,
One Byte to bring them all and in the shadows bind them.'

The math is simple: 60 bytes per second, 3.5 KiB per minute or roughly 211 KiB for one hour per object. Or: if you have 40 player/ghost instances at once (which are more than enough design wise), you have roughly 2.3 KiB per second, 140 KiB per minute and roughly 8 mb per hour.

For future projects I have some interesting concepts regarding advanced behaviour trees in mind that I really want to try some day. I imagine a AI that remembers what you actually did and emulates your behaviour to reach the same goals instead of simply replaying your movement and actions. I think I could do that. Maybe one day I will.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 08:26:29 AM »

seriously fuck dave
Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 11:19:26 AM »

Hi,

spent a whole day reworking the jump animation. Old one was 2 frames, new one is 4 frames and uses interpolated scaling to get more bounce. Is it better now?

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 11:25:59 AM »

Sign me up for this weirdness.

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 02:28:18 PM »

mechanics are looking tight and the art is on point. keep going!

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2017, 12:19:22 PM »

Thank you for the nice words and comments!

This is what I'm working on at the moment:

Making a basket is harder than it looks.

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 01:49:02 PM »

This started out as a small mini-game to be played within 'To Hell With Dave'. Now I have an early prototype and a ton of ideas for a roguelike-like soccer game. Not sure how far I will take this, but I have much fun with it.

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2017, 12:11:22 AM »

Hey,

I'm working hard to release a public demo for 'To Hell With Dave'. But I'm struggling with localization. Any tips for a non-native English speaker? Also a non-native English speaker who is always broke (in the sense of having very little money)? All in all about 100 - 150 lines of dialogue. I think my English is good enough to do a rough pretranslation. What can I expect in terms of costs? Do you have any recommodations? I know there are tons of translation services out there. But it feels like swimming in  a pool of sharks. Or maybe I'm just too paranoid.

zenassembly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 06:37:02 AM »

u guys are too hard on dave

This looks awesome, the music in the tease is pretty much perfect. And I'm a sucker for juicy footstep sounds so let's just say I'm all in. #teamdave

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2017, 10:22:38 AM »

If I understand correctly, you need someone to translate it into English? And the original language seems like German?

I'm a native English-speaking writer and that's really not a lot of dialogue, I'd be happy to help you with the English translation for super cheap as a contractor, and I can also maybe lend assistance with the localization programming and give some tips on how to go about planning/designing for localization based on my experience. My email's in my profile, just hit me up that way.

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2017, 03:41:52 AM »

Hand Metal Left It's finished Hand Metal Right
I finally finished making a demo!

It's far from beeing perfect. But I think it illustrates pretty well what I've been working on for such a long time. Although a good translation is still missing (I translated everything myself with a little help from the weird smelling monkey who lives in the suitcase under my bed), I still hope to find some potentially suicidal beta-testers for the demo here.

If you don't mind that my amateurish translation will absolutely ruin your experience, I'd love to hear from you! If you speak German, I can also provide you with a German version, which might be a lot better vong Dialog her! Well, hello there!

I'm looking for any form of criticism and suggestions (except for death-threats and calls for my public execution of course). So if you have no plans for this weekend: maybe you should play my demo instead of getting drunk and ruining your couch! Unless you're highly gifted. Then you can get drunk while ruining your couch and playing my demo.

Get in touch with me! Beer!
(Maybe you won't even regret it!)

I would love to hear from you!
Alex

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2017, 02:29:27 PM »

I'm honestly loving it. Here's my feedback:

• The English isn't bad at all. I'd be happy to make some improvements just to get a free copy of the game, and my name in the credits.  Kiss
  • Your daughter is 6 and she can beat this?!?!
  • Some of the things you're doing with the ghost-Bacons mechanic is really clever, like having the targeted harpoon shooters get distracted by them. I also liked having to light myself on fire using a ghost. In other levels though, like the bossfight, ghosts didn't do anything and just got in the way until I would clear them out. Maybe the pig could slow down slightly when he eats them, or something?
  • I was playing on the keyboard but it showed me the gamepad tutorial. I had to figure it out by guessing keys, because I didn't realize the pause menu had the keyboard layout in it.  Tongue
  • I generally don't mind trying games over hundreds of times, but the boss fight is particularly brutal, especially for a demo. The two main problems are that it could use at least one checkpoint, and when I get to the part with the individual blocks, I except to be able to wall-jump on them and I guess I can't? I never actually got past that part because it was so hard to make it all the way, anyway. I almost never give up in hardcore games, so if I ragequit, you're definitely gonna get more complaints.
  • When do we get to meet Dave? Is he even in the demo??  Cry

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »

Hi Nathy!

• The English isn't bad at all. I'd be happy to make some improvements just to get a free copy of the game, and my name in the credits.  Kiss
Sound like we have a deal! Coffee Thank you so much! The demo has no credits yet. But the final game will and you will receive a free copy + your name in the credits! Thank you for helping me!

My daughter beats the game in easy mode, but she's already 7 now!

Regarding the boss fight: the idea of slowing the boss down when he eats the ghosts is great! It will also automatically adjust the difficulty level. The more ghosts the player creates by failing, the slower and easier the boss will become! I will make the boss fight shorter, too. I don't want to take away the pleasure of experiencing the grand finale.

However, I also have some bad news. You don't get to see Dave in the demo. He has his big debut later in the game. Shrug

Thanks again!
Alex

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »

If I wasn't already psyched to be doing a game translation, I have an extra incentive now: I talked my professor into counting this as my final project in the Writing (English) Across Borders class. I probably won't be able to turn the entire thing in to her (because it's due today actually...) but I can do a good portion of it.

I started last night! Here's a sample (the first line in the game).

Quote from: German
Guten Morgen, Kinder. Setzt euch und haltet den Mund!
Quote from: Original English
Good morning, children. Sit down and be quiet, please!
Quote from: Google Translate Version
Good morning, kids. Sit down and shut up!
Quote from: My version
Good morning, children. Take your seats and quiet down!

I'm still not sure if I'm settled on my version, especially after seeing how brilliant the Google Translate version is. I could sit and obsess over every little decision here.  Tears of Joy

@PretzelBrosStudios While I can edit the Dialogues_ENG.txt and Dialogues_DE.txt files, it seems you've actually hard-coded the dialogue into the executable, because when I run it, it still shows the original dialogue. I can always just show my professor the text files, but it would be cooler to have an executable version with my words in it.

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »

Hey Nathy!

Wow, sounds great! I've recently started working on reading the dialogues from an external text file. I'm gonna need another hour or so. I will send you an email with a link to the new build and some information about line breaks as soon as possible. I also made the bossfight a lot easier!

Alex

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2017, 10:12:58 AM »

Quote from: German
Guten Morgen, Kinder. Setzt euch und haltet den Mund!
Quote from: Original English
Good morning, children. Sit down and be quiet, please!
Quote from: Google Translate Version
Good morning, kids. Sit down and shut up!
Quote from: My version
Good morning, children. Take your seats and quiet down!
Okay, Google ... are you trying to be funny? Grin  That translation was unexpected at first but I wonder why the following also came up with "shut up":
Quote from: Bing Translate
Good morning, kids.   Sit down and keep your mouth shut!
Quote from: Online Tranlator.com
Good morning, children.  Puts you and shuts up!.
Is that the actual meaning?  Or does the exclamation mark play a role?

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2018, 02:01:37 PM »

Quote from: PretzelBrosStudios
However, I also have some bad news. You don't get to see Dave in the demo. He has his big debut later in the game.  Shrug

I just thought of something. One of the kids in the class, near the start of the game, should raise their hand and ask "So who was Dave?" at some point after the title logo appears, but before Jesus ever mentions the name. It'd be funny, or at least, before trying to explain the joke, it was funny in my head.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2018, 10:41:00 PM »

fuck dave. seriously.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic