Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:49:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTo Hell With Dave
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: To Hell With Dave  (Read 12284 times)
Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 01:56:10 AM »

Hi!

Okay, Google ... are you trying to be funny? Grin  That translation was unexpected at first but I wonder why the following also came up with "shut up":
Quote from: Bing Translate
Good morning, kids.   Sit down and keep your mouth shut!
Quote from: Online Tranlator.com
Good morning, children.  Puts you and shuts up!.
Is that the actual meaning?  Or does the exclamation mark play a role?

Literally translated, it means "hold your mouth". I think "shut up" is too rude. In German classrooms the phrase "haltet den Mund" is quite common. At least back in my school years. It's very direct, but polite. The teacher, Miss Croacher, is still a bitch.

I just thought of something. One of the kids in the class, near the start of the game, should raise their hand and ask "So who was Dave?" at some point after the title logo appears, but before Jesus ever mentions the name. It'd be funny, or at least, before trying to explain the joke, it was funny in my head.

Oh my God, that could be straight from a Mel Brooks movie. Shocked
The title disappears, one of the children raises his arm and asks
"Miss Croacher, so who the hell was Dave?"
"What did I tell you about swearing in class? And how do you even know which story Mr. Jesus is going to tell."
"It was in the title."

fuck dave. seriously.

Oh, come on. Dave's a pretty good boy, actually. Everyone has a bad day sometimes. Or depression. Or depression on a bad day. But I'd feel pretty shitty too if I was in the same situation as Dave.

Finally, to raise the level and underline the quality and professionalism of my reply, here is a poem:

All roads may lead to Rome,
but the highway to hell
runs through the anus
of an virgin gnome.

(If corn isn't digested, do you still consume carbohydrates?)

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2018, 07:03:38 AM »

Quote from: PretzelBrosStudios
The title disappears, one of the children raises his arm and asks
"Miss Croacher, so who the hell was Dave?"
"What did I tell you about swearing in class? And how do you even know which story Mr. Jesus is going to tell."
"It was in the title."

Jesus: My, what a perceptive child. Well, I hate to say it, but Miss Croacher only paid for the demo of this story. Dave isn't even in it!

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2018, 08:39:28 AM »

Obey your leaders, and accept their authority. They take care of you because they are responsible for you.  (Hebrews 13:17)

At the centre of a dystopia is a mechanized superstate with a dictatorial form of rule. Individuals are controlled by state propaganda and a forced education system. The citizen lives in the belief that the regime is good and just. Prohibitions to think and to speak minimize the possibility of a rebellion.

Welcome to a modern version of hell.

I have reached a new milestone this week. Chapter 2 is finished and I already started working on the third and final chapter. Meanwhile, I have mixed feelings. I'm really looking forward to the day I'm going to release the game. But I'm also terribly afraid of it. Only a few months left. Shocked

The atmosphere of the third chapter has become much darker and dystopian than I ever thought. But hey, you end up destroying the world only once in a lifetime. Right?

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2018, 03:11:51 PM »

I took two evenings off from developing to create some promo art. It is a little rough and looks like the cover of a children's book. But hey, I'm actually pretty happy with it.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2018, 03:25:49 PM »

This looks cool! My I ask why you're afraid of it's release? Lol

Cover art fits the feel of the game. Dark but humorous.

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »

lovin the progress bud, finish strong! Hand Metal Left

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2018, 08:30:11 PM »

Sorry I've been silent! I sent you a message about the English translation.

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2018, 02:44:48 PM »

This looks cool! My I ask why you're afraid of it's release? Lol

Hi! Most likely because I'm a stupid coward. It just makes me crazy to see how many great projects are failing at the moment. And I realized how difficult marketing is in all this social noise. Especially if you take care of absolutely everything on your own.

lovin the progress bud, finish strong! Hand Metal Left

Thanks man! Really much appreciated! Beer!

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2018, 08:14:23 AM »

It's time for me to deal with marketing strategies. In this DevLog I would like to present some of the keywords I have worked on during the last weeks. I changed my elevator pitch and tried to work out what makes 'To Hell With Dave' unique. I have also created a fictitious Q&A that I might want to use on the website.

'To Hell With Dave'
Suicide is bad for your health, but has never been more fun and challenging!
'To Hell With Dave' is a sadomasochistic platformer where you have to burn, drown and decapitate yourself on a lovely journey through the depths of hell.

Features or 'The gruesome facts'

1. Meat on a spit
   Impale yourself on spikes to misuse your dead body as a platform.

2. Hangman's knot
   Use your head! Literally.

3. Living Torch
   Burning determination opens doors where there was none before.

4. Bloated body
   Sometimes the only way to keep your pants dry.

5. Bursting meatball
   The most plausible reason your mother always warned you not to swallow explosives.

Is 'To Hell With Dave' a puzzle-platformer?
Not really. I have devoted a lot of time and effort to find a solid balance between challenging platforming and original puzzle design. You not only need a nimble mind, but also nimble fingers.

Sorry, but this game is not for me. I think modern platformers are much too difficult.
I feel the same way! I love challenges, but repeating the same patterns over and over with constantly increasing difficulty is not my cup of tea. To Hell With Dave is challenging, but it never becomes unfair or repitative.

Does the game have a story?
And what a great one! It's about friendship, adventure and sacrifice.

Okay, enough reading. Where's the demo?
Right here on my hard drive.

So... can I download and play it?
No. Unless you have a really good argument to convince me otherwise.

And when will the game be released?
That's not exactly for sure yet. I aim for a release in Q3 2018. But don't blame me if it takes longer.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 03:13:12 AM by PretzelBrosStudios » Logged

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2018, 08:26:48 AM »

Personally I really like all the feature descriptions/gifs. They're hilarious. On the other hand, suicide being such a serious subject, I wouldn't be doing my due diligence if I didn't post some resources on how to handle it without harming anyone:

http://reportingonsuicide.org/
http://www.cracked.com/article_15658_the-ten-minute-suicide-guide.html

My reaction to your gifs is that they're so absurd it's probably not a problem, but maybe your website info page could have a link to info on suicide hotlines for anyone who might need it. Can't hurt to put that shit all over the place.

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2018, 12:57:29 PM »

Hi!

Yeah, I should really think about it. A link on the website in the footer would certainly not hurt. It is a serious subject which I have taken too lightly.

But there is also good news! Currently I am working on a new color scheme. It's a combination of a bloom shader and a texture with alpha blending on top of it. I think it looks a lot better now. A before-after comparison:

The colours are much more vivid now. The feel of the game has also gained a lot from this small change. Every room now has a cosy warmth. And it looks much more 'modern'. I'm really happy with the results.

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2018, 03:14:19 PM »

So what have I been working on in the last few weeks? I reworked the dwarf's intestine with palms and parrots. In between, I created a turd whale. And to make the story of the game clearer, I also added a minute and 11 seconds to the intro. It is an intro before the intro, to be precise. I'm happy to share it with you.

See you soon
Alex
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:24:16 PM by PretzelBrosStudios » Logged

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2018, 02:20:36 AM »

Hi!

The last few weeks have been a wild ride. I was devastated, pulled myself together again and made a gigantic step forward. I reworked the narrative sheet, worked hard on the final chapter and extended the game mechanics by a 4th dimension: You interact not only with your former selfs, but also with your mirrored counterpart and the mirrored counterparts of your former selfs. Here's an example to illustrate the most basic functions of this mechanic:

Step 1: Problem
The player (right side) must climb a shaft, but the door only opens when his mirrored reflection (left side) touches a switch.

Step 2: Solution
The player commits suicide to create a instance of both himself and his reflection to keep the switch activated.

Step 3: Execution
The reflection of the players former self activates the switch. The player can now pass through the door. However, since the shaft on the player's side is covered, the player only sees his mirrored reflection (which feels like playing with suddenly inverted controls).

See you soon
Alex

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2018, 04:59:16 AM »

Really cool mechanic! I love how some things can be hidden on either side to make things interesting.

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2018, 03:14:47 AM »

It's been months. Months of work. But finally the waiting has come to an end. On 31.10. the demo of 'To Hell With Dave' will be released.

The demo includes the first 20 minutes of the game. The order of the levels has been changed to have a quick and solid introduction to the game mechanics. Also some passages have been made easier to ensure a quick play through.

I also redesigned the website to have a consistent appearance across all platforms. I will publish the demo on my website, Itch.io and Gamejolt.

I hope you like it.

Alex

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2018, 04:54:33 AM »

Beautiful pixel art graphics, interesting gameplay mechanics and pigs from hell - awesome!

Busy working on xcom-like, steampunk/vermintide pixel art strategy game called "Shardpunk".

Devlog | Twitter | Webpage
ralphyua
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2018, 09:49:57 AM »

Very nice pixel art and animation. Any chance the demo will be coming to Steam soon?

Try it on Steam
Follow on Twitter
Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2018, 12:42:56 PM »

Hi there!
I'm working on a Steam release right now. I'm not sure if it will be ready by October 31st. But I will release the demo on Steam as soon as possible!

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2018, 03:32:07 PM »

Awesome Halloween news. Do I spy Hitler with butterfly wings?

Pretzel Bros Studios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2018, 02:41:17 AM »

Awesome Halloween news. Do I spy Hitler with butterfly wings?

Thanks! But it's not Hitler, it's the tooth fairy WTF. A pretty sadistic tooth fairy to be honest. I always thought he looked like Freddie Mercury.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic