Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:32:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSokkelo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sokkelo  (Read 553 times)
KellyRay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2017, 12:32:12 PM »

Hey friends and future friends,

I made this platform game over the weekend for a local game jam. Seriously considering pushing this in to a real development phase and would love any feedback.  Take a peek, jump around!

https://kellyrayj.itch.io/sokkelo

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:39:19 PM by KellyRay » Logged

@kellyrayj
ditgames
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 07:59:40 PM »

I love the idea of making the menu playable! It's cool to see an original idea like that!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
However, it did take a while for me to realize that you had to move to start. It made me feel a bit dumb staring at a menu not being able to make any thing happen, but after a while, I did get it.
KellyRay
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 05:25:39 AM »

I love the idea of making the menu playable! It's cool to see an original idea like that!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
However, it did take a while for me to realize that you had to move to start. It made me feel a bit dumb staring at a menu not being able to make any thing happen, but after a while, I did get it.

Thanks for your thoughts! Hadn't considered that yet.

@kellyrayj
FROGANUS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:57:53 AM »

Hey, I played a little bit, actually I think I passed each level, though its really hard to get all 3 dudes out alive as-is (speaking of which it is not clear exactly what the objective/scoring system is..)

The nice clean design is appealing, simple color coding makes it pretty easy to figure out what's going on.

Cool glitch effects, cool particle usage, nice, appropriate font usage. Good sounds.

Cool game dynamic with the controlling of multiple dudes at the same time.

My main criticisms off the bat would be based on control, and camera.

The control, I got better at with practice, I like how its a bit floaty, though feels like there could be juuust a little bit quicker acceleration for responsiveness. Also the wall seems surprisingly sticky to me (things I could probably get used to with practice, so keep in mind this is just an initial comment).
With the dash move, something is a little bit odd, namely the up+dash move. I don't know if a keyboard conflict issue occurs, or if something in the code can be tweaked, but often I try to simply dash straight up and it dashes to the side..

For the camera, my main issue is the full-level view size is a bit overwhelming and it's hard to see clearly the dude that you're controlling.. Could you implement some dynamic zooming of the camera to zoom on the one dude when your controlling him, so player can see what's going on, but then zoom out if you activate a second dude (maybe also consider a slight pause time when this occurs?), to help indicate what's going on. Also the screen shake seems a bit jarring, if there was a dynamic zoom effect I don't think this would be as abrubt, might even suggest toning the shake effect down just a little bit either way.

Hope that makes sense, gives you some ideas.
Keep it up, I think you've got a fun game going.

oh yeah, btw, what was the theme of the jam? is there any other backstory or potential writing/art ideas for this project?

-Fro-gAH-nus
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic