Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:57:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIndie Game Marketing Problems
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Game Marketing Problems  (Read 1684 times)
Leandromeda
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2017, 09:17:05 AM »

Hey guys. I am new around here Smiley. I was hear this forum, maybe you could help.

I am working as a Marketing Responsible of Abyss Gameworks. I am trying all ways to marketing for our indie game.

Last month PC Gamer previewed our game but another medias didn't do that. We do not have enough budget and competence to compete with AAA. I am doing 0 budget all of marketing things. The press is very troubled. There is no media to preview or interview without answering or without money except PC gamer. Influencers want very high amounts. I wish we had done this in 2015 Sad

For now how could I do right operations like The Solus Project or any other indie games? I talked with many famous indie game marketing players like Northgard, Dead Cells, Soma. But it's not clear on my mind.

If you have an idea or give some information, i will appreciate that.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 08:29:47 PM »

so this is your first post in this forum, and you didn't even bother making direct links to either the game you're marketing nor your indie team which seems to be Abyss Gameworks.

If it's a repeated behavior, than it's no wonder that you have trouble with marketing. You don't need budget to be active in an online community and spread words about your game.
clemmons_io
Level 0

Games, Growth, & Glory!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 07:59:10 PM »

Consistent Twitter posts (Images, GIF's, Videos) to the right hashtags will be one of your best bets.

Read my blog here: https://clemmons.io
ChefSeth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 12:38:33 AM »

Consistent Twitter posts (Images, GIF's, Videos) to the right hashtags will be one of your best bets.

What are the "right" hashtags?

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 05:27:20 AM »

#gamedev #indiegame #indiedev #screenshotsaturday #pixelart #madewithunity

taj
Level 0

I do marketing for games and such

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:59:07 PM »

Hello there!

First up, I wanna say congrats on your gig. Doing marketing for games is a great thing (although I sometimes get jaded by it). Now, to get traction and reaction on your game, you will need to put some time and effort into your marketing work. Things don't happen overnight. All this effort will be worth it, but what you need first is a solid foundation.

So, a couple of truth bombs

1. There is a crapload of games out there
2. Why should journalists care about your game?

The first point is to remember that great marketing starts with a great product, and 2 is about putting you in a frame of mind in which you can give the journalist an answer to that question (they are not simply advertising beams - they provide news for their readers).

What I would do is like the above person mentioned - get yourself on Twitter and build a bit of a following. Those hashtags are great. Next thing I would do is start building a relationship with the media, and a good place to start is in your own country first. Are there any decent Turkish sites out there? If so, reach out to them. I'm sure they would wanna hear more about your project then say Kotaku (don't worry, you'll get to them - baby steps first). Now, another good place to look at is either the Unity blog or Unreal equivalent of it. Talk to those people, and build a relationship with them. Who knows, you might appear at their events, social channels, or sizzle reels. Have a chat to them and see what you can do. Also, have a look at going to some events. EGX is a good one, and they have a Leftfield collection area that is free to enter - you might have to pay for flights and accommodation, but man, it's 300 euros - invest in the game a bit. Ooooo, gamescom has an indie arena as well, so might be worthwhile looking at them as well if they have opportunities like that. Also, look at Indie MEGABOOTH as an option. The good news is that those events attract journalists, and if your game is good, they might notice you (and sending invites to them a few weeks before the event to check your game also will help in that department).

Dude, this should start helping you in building a bit of a community and also in helping getting your game "out there" a bit. Doing an announcement on say PlayStation blog/youtube will also help you out in getting a bit of exposure to your game. And apologies for long, incoherent ramblings - it's been 8 days since I had a cigarette, and I could smash one right now. But I won't.

Video game marketing.
Dying Light | Aragami | The Sinking City | Torment: Tides of Numenera | Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:21:09 AM »

Here are my 2 cents.
I looked your web site, the steam page the differents trailers and nothing really tells me what your game is about.
What make it special?

The only interesting point I saw was: “One of the most amazing things about TARTARUS is that it’s actually text-based like old school adventure games.” – Alexander Paschall
If it's an important part of your game you should tell it.

Take whatever makes your game different and valuable and then tell it to the world.
I hope it will help because the game looks promising.

As a possible buyer, I see nothing that really incitates me to binvest my money in this game.
Don't get me wrong. I don't say that your game is bad.
I just say that the most interesting part of the game are now clear enough.
Is it an exploration game ? How important is the usage of the terminal ?
Will it be a hacking game ? I have too many questions to decide if I want it or not.

fiercefun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 04:29:20 AM »

From our experience , you need to be using your game dev assets for your digital marketing. You need to active on all the main social networks and post regularly with good content. Don't underestimate the amount of work involved. Look to create video and gif from your game dev art assets. Good visuals are everything !
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic