Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:02:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWolf Gang, a tactical RPG with a twist
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Wolf Gang, a tactical RPG with a twist  (Read 5037 times)
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2018, 03:30:27 PM »

It ins't obvious from a lot of what I have shown here, but the ambient occlusion actually caused a lot more inconsistencies. Aside from displaying differently on different devices, it also sampled the mesh vertices, so on anything with movement on it like the grass or the water, there would be a black halo around where the mesh would be before shaders on any adjacent geometry. As far as the grass goes, much like it doesn't have the outline applied to it now, the ambient occlusion actually wasn't applied to the grass or water either.

Other issues were introduced with camera zoom, since the ambient occlusion was a screen space thing, things would be inconsistent at different distances.

And I mean finally it just came down to taste for me. To me, it looked muddy, you'd get halos around the characters as they moved, it forced my hand to "cheat" some geometry in certain models to make things look right, and I just generally do like things more colorful.
Ah, I see.  Seems like the issue was more than just taste, it was technical aspects.  But there are games that seem similar so there must be other ways to create the same effect.

I wanted to keep the Kickstarter trailer short, and tease the story through the interactions shown in the trailer, but I got into more story details on the actual page. The gist of it is that Lucas (the wolf) and Otis (the sheep) run into each other after Otis is ostracized by his fellow sheep. After an initial scuffle, the two decide to conspire to fight the other sheep so that Otis can get his revenge and Lucas can expand his territory. Eventually you get through the sheep territory and your party's aspirations grow as more people join your team, making your way through other animals' territories. This is essentially the story of a semi well-intentioned group starting something that gets way out of their control and they have to deal with the consequences.

Though as much as I would love to think the Kickstarter suffered because people didn't get enough of an idea of the plot from the video, the sad fact is that no one actually saw the video hahaha
I'd say it still would've been nice to see some of that mentioned in the trailer.

Oh, that reminds me. The beginning of the KS trailer (i.e. Wolf Gang is coming to KS) looked more like a KS campaign teaser that would be released prior to the launch of the KS campaign and not something posted as the KS video.  Maybe that's why people didn't watch the video to the end. Grin  Or do you mean that people didn't even start watching the video.

lyon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2018, 04:00:43 PM »

But there are games that seem similar so there must be other ways to create the same effect.

I'm sure there is a way, but that's not a direction I'm interested in pursuing  Shrug

Maybe that's why people didn't watch the video to the end. Grin  Or do you mean that people didn't even start watching the video.

I mean, it's possible people didn't have the attention span to sit through more than 15 seconds of a video, but that's not what I've been seeing in the data: no one actually saw it in the first place. If you're interested in what went right or wrong with the KS, I've already written a detailed post-mortem that you can check out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nylonblonde/wolf-gang-a-tactical-rpg-with-a-twist/posts/2057925.

This looks great lyon. I'm loving Scully's redesign. Keep up the great work.

Thank you! I think he and the goat are my two favorite models so far.
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2018, 03:46:14 PM »

Oh, when you mentioned "no one", I thought you literally meant not a single person.   Shocked

But overall, the small exposure numbers actually make sence.  Successfull projects tend to have "larger" number of followers right from the beginning.  That means more exposure (gaming related websites and social media mentions/forwarding/promotion).  I'm guessing they meant overall views, or was Kickstarter referring to the number of people who visited the project from their video games (or similar categories) page? 

Al_B
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2018, 05:21:43 PM »

AAAYYYY!!! You made it to Kickstarter! Hope you get the support you deserve with this project. It's great!

lyon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2018, 05:33:43 PM »

The February build (v0.5.0) is now live! This build features the first boss level, a new background music track, a bunch of changes and improvements, and some big fixes.

You can read the full changelog on steam here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/761040/announcements/detail/1674646000820396191

Here's some early footage of the boss level too:

lyon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2018, 01:13:10 PM »

Adding bridges which are activated by hitting switches (as marked by these placeholder rocks). When the AI's path is blocked, they seek out switches to lower any bridges which may be raised, blocking their path.
lyon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2018, 02:33:30 PM »

More updates on the bridge animation stuff

If a character is blocking a bridge from being raised by standing on it, the gear will stutter a bit too.

mark_CRG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2018, 05:45:32 PM »

That's looking really awesome and fun!!

I like these kinda tactics games where the combat is really different but there is also a really awesome theme.

lyon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2018, 04:59:36 PM »

That's looking really awesome and fun!!

I like these kinda tactics games where the combat is really different but there is also a really awesome theme.

Thanks! I'm glad there's some interest in tactics games that aren't super faithful to the usual RPG or fantasy themes  Smiley

Some more updates:

After Lupe, Lucas and Otis defeat the sheep, they return to the wolf den only to find that a group of bobcats have taken over in your absence. Here's some gifs of a cutscene from the first level of that area

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic