Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:07:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShadownaut - A cyberpunk stealth platformer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Shadownaut - A cyberpunk stealth platformer  (Read 8881 times)
LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 12:59:19 PM »

I really appreciate games that emulate the limitations and characteristics that defined a specific system. There have been a lot of games that emulate NES, SNES, as well as Game Boy characteristics and limitations, but I haven't seen one with ZX Spectrum visuals before. For me, the visuals are a bit painful for my eyes (but my vision is obnoxiously sensitive, so don't take this as a criticism towards your game), but I still dig the visuals.

I will be following on twitter. Good luck with the project.
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 01:34:45 AM »

The color blocks of the ZX are looking really nice in your game.
This looks gorgeous  Grin Grin Grin

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 01:40:22 AM »

Very cool! Love the pink and yellow lamp lighting

helpcomputer0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 10:00:44 AM »

Thanks for the comments!

I really appreciate games that emulate the limitations and characteristics that defined a specific system. There have been a lot of games that emulate NES, SNES, as well as Game Boy characteristics and limitations, but I haven't seen one with ZX Spectrum visuals before. For me, the visuals are a bit painful for my eyes (but my vision is obnoxiously sensitive, so don't take this as a criticism towards your game), but I still dig the visuals.

I will be following on twitter. Good luck with the project.

I intend to add a couple of alternative palettes you can switch to (C64 and another), so hopefully that should make things better for you.

Twitter @helpcomputer0
Prime Mover
Dragon Zero - A cyberpunk stealth platformer [Devlog]
LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 10:01:57 AM »

Very nice. Thanks for caring!
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 12:15:57 PM »

can i ask how you handled attribute clash? is it fully authentic (ie defined on a per tile basis such that both colours of a sprite would change if they moved to a specific part of the grid) or is it black sprites with an alpha layer and colourised blocks underneath? its really good looking either way
ProfessorOFun
Level 0

Professor O' Fun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 08:37:55 PM »

It is incredible what some of you talented artists do with so few pixels. My goodness does this immediately flashback to me playing Ninja Gaiden with my uncle. I never got past the first level, but boy was it an amazing game in its day.

This art style - the way the blue/yellow flash & pixelate.... I've never seen something like this before. Really awesome. I am blown away by the front-page indie games today.

I am not big into platformers these days, but I would give this a chance just for nostalgia reasons. But even though it may not be my game, that artwork & animation is awesome. I love pixel art.
helpcomputer0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 10:17:02 PM »

can i ask how you handled attribute clash? is it fully authentic (ie defined on a per tile basis such that both colours of a sprite would change if they moved to a specific part of the grid) or is it black sprites with an alpha layer and colourised blocks underneath? its really good looking either way

It's almost the second one. I use black and white art and over that a colour layer snapped to an 8x8 grid that multiplies the values. I didn't need to simulate multiple colours in an 8x8 block but it can be easily extended to change the black to a colour, but I think the clash looks worse like this.

It is incredible what some of you talented artists do with so few pixels. My goodness does this immediately flashback to me playing Ninja Gaiden with my uncle. I never got past the first level, but boy was it an amazing game in its day.

This art style - the way the blue/yellow flash & pixelate.... I've never seen something like this before. Really awesome. I am blown away by the front-page indie games today.

I am not big into platformers these days, but I would give this a chance just for nostalgia reasons. But even though it may not be my game, that artwork & animation is awesome. I love pixel art.

Thanks a lot!

Twitter @helpcomputer0
Prime Mover
helpcomputer0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 12:55:14 PM »

Testing new enemies again this week and hanging around on rooftops.

Twitter @helpcomputer0
Prime Mover
joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2017, 06:36:32 PM »

Those clouds sure are rolling fast but I like it
CosmicCrystal
Level 0

// GalactaGirl // HellStar Squadron //

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2017, 08:01:49 PM »

Amazing use of color. It looks so good in motion!

helpcomputer0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2017, 12:11:29 PM »

Those clouds sure are rolling fast but I like it

I know, I went a bit crazy! I've toned it down now.

Amazing use of color. It looks so good in motion!

Thanks!

Twitter @helpcomputer0
Prime Mover
helpcomputer0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2017, 10:06:46 AM »

Mainly non-visual progress this week adding player moves to test in the prototype. Most are now done so I can begin adding more enemies and testing fun stage layouts.

Twitter @helpcomputer0
Prime Mover
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2017, 12:55:44 PM »

Really cool style, I don't think it is something I have seen before. The lightning effect also works really well. I was just going to say it's quite hard to see the player, then I noticed I have f.lux running  Roll Eyes and that messes with the blue. Good work!

helpcomputer0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2017, 02:06:34 AM »

Here's a work in progress of the first boss fight. Trying to get the contrast right with so few colours is difficult but a fun challenge. Next I'll add coloured lights in places for atmosphere.

Twitter @helpcomputer0
Prime Mover
helpcomputer0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »

Quick update: working on the graphics for the city stage. Seems to be more difficult to avoid bad clashes with background lights and constructing something believeable but working OK so far.

Twitter @helpcomputer0
Prime Mover
helpcomputer0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2017, 12:04:08 AM »

Still working on midgame backgrounds and stuff. I added a bit more colour to this one which should look pretty cool once it's animated.

Twitter @helpcomputer0
Prime Mover
flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 05:46:48 PM »

love the aesthetic and how it translates in motion here. everything feels fluid and seamless which is a technical achievement as well as an artistic one. keep going dude Smiley

helpcomputer0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2018, 01:48:45 PM »

love the aesthetic and how it translates in motion here. everything feels fluid and seamless which is a technical achievement as well as an artistic one. keep going dude Smiley

Thanks! Beer!

Twitter @helpcomputer0
Prime Mover
helpcomputer0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2018, 01:00:01 PM »

Quick gif playing around with throwing weapons. Destroying and killing stuff is usually the easier option but will have affects on the game later on.

Twitter @helpcomputer0
Prime Mover
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic