Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:01:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFasterer - you can't jump, but you can fly (Demo available)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Fasterer - you can't jump, but you can fly (Demo available)  (Read 2740 times)
Madamin_Z
Level 1

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 01:04:45 AM »

I always enjoy good games with simple mechanics, they doesn't require a lot of thinking and you mostly have to relay on your skills.

The on thing you can improve is graphics. Even the small details could make a difference that would make the game look more appealing (maybe adding some kind of patterns?).

The most important aspect of these type of games however, in my opinion, is level design. Try adding more different obstacles and little twists, and try to squeeze out theme as much as possible (think of a different way they can act). Don't make a hundred repetitive levels, think of a way to make them fresh and engaging. I know the game is at the early development stage so you might have already considered all of that.

Good luck.

P.S. The best example is VVVVVV, a game with a simple graphics and basic mechanics, yet level design is where the game shines, making it one of the best indie platformer.

The best. Reply. Ever.   Shocked

Madamin_Z
Level 1

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 01:06:26 AM »

Added a moving platform.

P. S. it moves  Grin

Madamin_Z
Level 1

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 01:04:23 AM »

Little changes.

Madamin_Z
Level 1

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 01:22:54 AM »

Added a laser.

FROGANUS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 07:03:53 AM »

Looks dope. I wouldn't really stress about the graphics- everything looks fine to me..
I like the simple pixely feel and the colors are nice.
Especially if you do the subtle texturing like in the "AFTER" panel, throughout, it looks nice!

Just assuming what kind of game you are working towards (not having tried it out either), but I'd suggest focusing on just designing levels with clever 'split-second' routes (which seems like you're already doing) but also maybe thinking of how you can make some 'puzzly' levels, with different approaches that are not easy to see at first (which could be a challenge given the simple small gamespace) but yeah, just some ideas.

I'd like to see a demo. Nice work, keep it up!

-Fro-gAH-nus
Madamin_Z
Level 1

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 05:01:33 PM »

Looks dope. I wouldn't really stress about the graphics- everything looks fine to me..
I like the simple pixely feel and the colors are nice.
Especially if you do the subtle texturing like in the "AFTER" panel, throughout, it looks nice!

Just assuming what kind of game you are working towards (not having tried it out either), but I'd suggest focusing on just designing levels with clever 'split-second' routes (which seems like you're already doing) but also maybe thinking of how you can make some 'puzzly' levels, with different approaches that are not easy to see at first (which could be a challenge given the simple small gamespace) but yeah, just some ideas.

I'd like to see a demo. Nice work, keep it up!

Thanks. Soon I will publish demo version.

Madamin_Z
Level 1

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2017, 01:18:56 AM »

Added vanishing and emerging spikes.

Madamin_Z
Level 1

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 01:31:00 AM »

New gameplay video is ready:

Madamin_Z
Level 1

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2017, 01:11:50 AM »

Added a circle that makes you invulnerable.

Madamin_Z
Level 1

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 03:14:58 AM »

Finally published the demo!

Download

Madamin_Z
Level 1

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 01:09:14 AM »

Added a new thing. It stops your vertical speed.

Madamin_Z
Level 1

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2017, 02:06:04 AM »

Added minimalistic fireballs

whistlerat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2017, 10:13:16 AM »

This totally reminded me of Diamonds!

Which is a great thing, because I played a LOT of that as a kid. The similarity is only in movement though, your aim is different - reach the end - which gives familiar mechanics a new twist for me Smiley

So I played it! (Am playing it as I type actually - paused to write down my thoughts so far):

- The difficulty peaks and troughs quite dramatically, but that's to be expected, so it's neither a pro nor a con, though it is affected by...
- ... the fact that I don't really like the timer at all. I understand why it's there, though its value depends on the kind of gameplay you're going for; if you want someone to pull off a level perfectly, either because they whizzed it first time or have died enough times to NEED to do every maneouver perfectly, then the timer obviously helps prompt that, because it is so strict that there were more than a handful of levels which I could beat in terms of the obstacles and dangers... but needed to shave off half a second of my execution in order to not die before reaching the end. Which wasn't fun so much as frustrating, but that's just me, like I said it depends what kind of gameplay you're after. That kind of demanding-perfection works for some people. Because of my history with Diamonds, I found old habits resurfacing... including taking a breather after a particularly tricky bit (of which there are plenty!) in order to study what I have to do next and just enjoy the fact that I overcame that. Except that that means certain failure for the level in general because any lollygagging = more than half a second wasted = you lost.

This isn't SO bad because the levels are so tiny, which means that not only is it generally easy to get the 'lay of the land' on a first glance, but also that you don't really lose much per death. Only about ten seconds, really, which is acceptable. But if you ever wanted to do larger levels, having that kind of time-penalty on top of the existing challenging obstacles is just punishing more than fun.

Okay, back to the game...

And done! Very cute. A few levels which I found particularly hard, which I can remember:

- The first one with guns/cannons, the two pointing in opposite directions and shooting horizontally, just because there didn't seem like a lot of ways to avoid the bullets... and when I won, I felt like it was mostly to luck
- The one near the end with the two vertical corridors of disappearing spikes, because I found the timing really hard to figure out. The first corridor was generally fine, but this is one where I would have liked more time to just sit and plan, because I would have let the little dude bounce up and down and count the timings and then made my move, but instead I just kinda flung him at it over and over and hoped for the best. Again, kinda just luck.

A few general thoughts:

- The collision with the spikes could be made a little more forgiving, but only on the sides? Like sometimes I felt like I should have been able to survive that diagonal movement but didn't. Totally subjective though, if you want it harder than keep it as-is, I was still able to beat it
- Cute and cohesive visuals and animations
- Everything was pretty clear with no need for tutorials or anything, each new mechanic and obstacle explained itself
- The higher difficulty suits the small and short levels, which is partly why I stuck it out the whole way through - despite my critiques above, I didn't find the game *too* hard, because like I said, I did manage to beat it in a good time
- You have a good eye for puzzle and level design, each one felt different even when they just built on existing mechanics and the introduction and combining of new mechanics felt natural

Good job  Toast Right

Madamin_Z
Level 1

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2017, 06:03:37 PM »

This totally reminded me of Diamonds!

Which is a great thing, because I played a LOT of that as a kid. The similarity is only in movement though, your aim is different - reach the end - which gives familiar mechanics a new twist for me Smiley

So I played it! (Am playing it as I type actually - paused to write down my thoughts so far):

- The difficulty peaks and troughs quite dramatically, but that's to be expected, so it's neither a pro nor a con, though it is affected by...
- ... the fact that I don't really like the timer at all. I understand why it's there, though its value depends on the kind of gameplay you're going for; if you want someone to pull off a level perfectly, either because they whizzed it first time or have died enough times to NEED to do every maneouver perfectly, then the timer obviously helps prompt that, because it is so strict that there were more than a handful of levels which I could beat in terms of the obstacles and dangers... but needed to shave off half a second of my execution in order to not die before reaching the end. Which wasn't fun so much as frustrating, but that's just me, like I said it depends what kind of gameplay you're after. That kind of demanding-perfection works for some people. Because of my history with Diamonds, I found old habits resurfacing... including taking a breather after a particularly tricky bit (of which there are plenty!) in order to study what I have to do next and just enjoy the fact that I overcame that. Except that that means certain failure for the level in general because any lollygagging = more than half a second wasted = you lost.

This isn't SO bad because the levels are so tiny, which means that not only is it generally easy to get the 'lay of the land' on a first glance, but also that you don't really lose much per death. Only about ten seconds, really, which is acceptable. But if you ever wanted to do larger levels, having that kind of time-penalty on top of the existing challenging obstacles is just punishing more than fun.

Okay, back to the game...

And done! Very cute. A few levels which I found particularly hard, which I can remember:

- The first one with guns/cannons, the two pointing in opposite directions and shooting horizontally, just because there didn't seem like a lot of ways to avoid the bullets... and when I won, I felt like it was mostly to luck
- The one near the end with the two vertical corridors of disappearing spikes, because I found the timing really hard to figure out. The first corridor was generally fine, but this is one where I would have liked more time to just sit and plan, because I would have let the little dude bounce up and down and count the timings and then made my move, but instead I just kinda flung him at it over and over and hoped for the best. Again, kinda just luck.

A few general thoughts:

- The collision with the spikes could be made a little more forgiving, but only on the sides? Like sometimes I felt like I should have been able to survive that diagonal movement but didn't. Totally subjective though, if you want it harder than keep it as-is, I was still able to beat it
- Cute and cohesive visuals and animations
- Everything was pretty clear with no need for tutorials or anything, each new mechanic and obstacle explained itself
- The higher difficulty suits the small and short levels, which is partly why I stuck it out the whole way through - despite my critiques above, I didn't find the game *too* hard, because like I said, I did manage to beat it in a good time
- You have a good eye for puzzle and level design, each one felt different even when they just built on existing mechanics and the introduction and combining of new mechanics felt natural

Good job  Toast Right

Wow! I spent 2 hours to read it. Thank you for your reply. About the timer, you can turn it off in the options.

whistlerat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2017, 02:16:19 AM »

About the timer, you can turn it off in the options.

Interesting! Do you intend to keep it as an option, then, as a 'hard mode' variant? Or is having it off 'easy mode'? Do you see one or the other being the 'real version' of Fasterer that you're designing towards?

Madamin_Z
Level 1

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2017, 02:59:06 AM »

Added vanishing and emerging blocks.

Madamin_Z
Level 1

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2017, 03:08:58 AM »

About the timer, you can turn it off in the options.

Interesting! Do you intend to keep it as an option, then, as a 'hard mode' variant? Or is having it off 'easy mode'? Do you see one or the other being the 'real version' of Fasterer that you're designing towards?

Hmm... I'll think about it.

Madamin_Z
Level 1

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2017, 02:43:29 AM »

Added a gun that shoots the player

FROGANUS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2017, 08:15:58 AM »

suggestion- maybe make the timer pretty hard to beat, but its optional, so there's incentive to go back and replay to get the 100% completion later..

-Fro-gAH-nus
whistlerat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2017, 08:38:54 AM »

suggestion- maybe make the timer pretty hard to beat, but its optional, so there's incentive to go back and replay to get the 100% completion later..

This is pretty much the case right now, trust me  Wink

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic