Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:48:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOpinions about Valve's new announcement Artifact
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Opinions about Valve's new announcement Artifact  (Read 2603 times)
Woseseltops
Level 0

Language technologist by day, gamedev by night

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2017, 08:04:45 AM »

Valve recently announced their first new game since Dota 2: Artifact. It will be a digital trading card game, which is something completely different than people were expecting, and the community response has been negative, to put it mildly (see for example https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/8/9/16118582/valve-artifact-card-game-dota-2-disappointment and youtube.com/watch?v=BuXE1ee34-A ) . The subreddit /r/valve has been mixture of sadness and rage the last few days.

My personal opinion is much more neutral: I'm not super-excited for another card game, but Valve has been known for its high quality innovative games, so I don't think this one will be any different. I've seen multiple people call it a quick pay-to-win money-grabbing Hearthstone clone, but I can't imagine Valve would be interested in releasing a game that's only about making money (as opposed to being a high quality game), as Steam is making so much money for them already.

I'm supercurious what you guys game developers think of this, any thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:14:11 AM by Woseseltops » Logged
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:26:14 AM »

i will never forgive myself of not screencaping a PAX Hearthstone reveal Twitch chat, which was hundreds, if not thousand people saying "Gay" in unison, with occasional brave man shouting "N%gger"
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 11:37:39 AM »

This is with real cards, right? Is there a card that says "last hit"? Do small cannon towers with working cannons accompany the card game? Is the fountain also a cup holder? Is there a secret shop, but really secret, like,  players hide them around the room before the game? Can you buy extra cards that are exactly like the originals, but "reskinned" with other art? Is there a D6, but instead of 1,2,3,4,5,6 you have Q,W,E,R,1,2? Is the in-game gold made out of real gold, or will the game just cost that much? Will "vs. AI" be a selection of different booklets that are actually the orders for playing computer's turns? Will there be an option to report verbal abuse or intentional feeding to Valve? Will jungling be represented through real physical combat? Will Ward cards have small LED imbued within them? How many cards will have qr codes to unlock new stuff in Dota 2? Will there ever be Dota 3? So many questions!!!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 12:24:55 PM »

its always funny to see people being somehow personally offended that a large corporation didn't announce the game they wanted, as if corps have some kind of responsibility to them

or even better: as if a company like valve makes a card game to somehow "spite" them rather than because it's going to be profitable
Woseseltops
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »

i will never forgive myself of not screencaping a PAX Hearthstone reveal Twitch chat, which was hundreds, if not thousand people saying "Gay" in unison, with occasional brave man shouting "N%gger"

*screenshots /r/valve*

as if a company like valve makes a card game to somehow "spite" them rather than because it's going to be profitable

That's kind of what is suggested in this meme (one of many), although it makes me laugh:

I think the real complaint is that making a game that is 'going to be profitable' seems to be the only thing that matters these days - at least, that's what the complainers say.
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 01:11:40 AM »

remember "failstone?" What a hot meme that was
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 08:32:21 AM »

Imagine MTG but instead of paying immense sums of money for print on paper it's immense sums for literally nothing at all : )

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 08:54:00 AM »

what if they want to create decentralized digital currency, but instead of burned electricity its cards
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 09:29:15 AM »

I thought that's what they did already with the steam cards or whatever

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 10:08:07 PM »

Can you use steam trading cards as playing cards? That would be awesome! What about screenshots? Or greenlight games!

Woseseltops
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 06:29:48 AM »

That would indeed be awesome, but since it's a Dota spinoff, I don't think it will work like that. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get cards just by playing Dota.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if playing Dota (or Artifact itself) is the ONLY way to obtain cards from the game, and that players are supposed to get the rest via the Steam item market. Other online card games are all about buying random packs of cards from the devs and do not allow trading, potentially because this will create all kinds of market effects that might turn out negatively for them. Valve have clearly labeled Artifact a 'trading' card game, so my guess would be they see this as the ultimate experiment for their steam item market. Doesn't Valve get a percentage of every item sale? Because then that's how they will monetize the game.

Wouldn't that be cool? A game that's monetized just by players selling items crucial to gameplay to each other?
Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 07:42:44 AM »

thats cool, but its gonna have loot crates
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 10:22:04 AM »

Monetize

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »

thats cool, but its gonna have loot crates

Real ones?

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 04:38:15 PM »

That's the federation force moment of valve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-BRYtN1buU?
Why the Valve Community is Pissed About Artifact, the Dota Card Game

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 03:19:01 AM »

NEWS FLASH: every single commercial video game ever made is a "cash grab". companies don't sell video games out of the kindness of their hearts. half life 2 is a cash grab, so is counter strike, team fortress and every other valve manshoot game. GET OVER IT
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:26:50 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Woseseltops
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 03:37:32 AM »

I don't think I agree: sure, all commercial videogames are made for profit, but some studios are much more focused on adding features that will lead to more profit even if that means the overall quality of the game or the general user experience goes down. On the other side of the spectrum, some studios just make the niche game they want to make, even if it means it won't make them rich.
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 10:15:27 AM »

People will get angry with it because it is something new and unexpected. People will get comfortable with it once it becomes something old and expected. People will get angry at the next new unexpected thing because it isn't that old comfortable thing they've now come to expect. Rinse and repeat.

If Valve didn't generally do well what they do nobody would give a shit or expect much out of them.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »

That's call building an audience that comes with expectation Tongue

But I don't think it's a problem of new vs old, f2p card game are pretty old by now, especially after all the hearthstone clones. People literally commented "do we need a card another game?"

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 08:59:15 AM »

People are pissed because it's not HL3. Any other except this one will make babies cry or something.

Honestly, I didn't find HL that revolutionary bac in the days, and HL2 was just ignored, so I don't really care what Valve releases, as long as it's good.

If it's another pay for win kind of game, stuff it. But surely there's a bit too many card games around, no?

Yeah.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic