Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:23:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessLooking for feedback for my games website
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for feedback for my games website  (Read 1411 times)
Sersh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 12, 2017, 02:11:37 AM »

Hey,
i created the first website for my game (a one pager) and wanted to gather feedback before putting it to public

Link: http://monster-sanctuary.com/

TODO: I'll put a trailer at the top once i have one. Also i'll include a press kit once i have one. Anything else i'm missing?

Also since i'm not native English speaker, if you spot some grammar/spelling issues or some odd formulations, you're more then welcome to tell me as well Smiley

Monster Sanctuary | DevlogTwitterFacebook
JindrichP
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 10:57:59 AM »

Hey,
your page is looking good. :-)  Hand Thumbs Up Left
I canĀ“t check your spelling etc. and you are right that trailer and presskit () are missing, but still it is impressive. I can tell what kind of game it is and if it is interesting - and it seems it is.
Good job. :-)

Currently working on Xenofil
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 04:40:53 PM »

It's a bit busy with all the gifs, and nearly all the gifs are of UI which isn't all that exciting

I think the staggering of picture and text could work, but it's a rather large list so my eyes feel like they 'pinball' as they go down the page.

I would say maybe pick your top 3 features / screenshots in the style you have, then include a more traditional bulleted list of features with then remaining pictures at the bottom

Woseseltops
Level 0

Language technologist by day, gamedev by night

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 01:55:07 AM »

First impression: I really like it, but that might be because the pixel art of the game itself is so pretty. I subscribed for the demo.

Some more details:
* The background color of the website does not really match what seems to be 'background color' of your game. I feel rgb(31,31,31) which is #1f1f1f looks better.
* You're aware of http://dopresskit.com/ right?
* I really like all the gifs and movement everywhere. In fact, I like it so much I'm stealing the idea Wink. Pixel art and animation is what you're good at, so it's a good thing you're showing it.
* Not sure if the icons at the top are needed; I feel your logo is more important. If you want icons near the top, maybe below the logo?

Finally, a more general/larger remark: why not do the whole website in the style of the pixely style of the game instead of the more clean style you have now? See http://www.olvand.com for what I mean, although your website is much prettier.
Sersh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 02:16:09 PM »

thanks for the detailed feedback @all! Very helpful Smiley

Monster Sanctuary | DevlogTwitterFacebook
EuthimisK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 03:33:15 PM »

Looks good and clean (not minimalist clean but still)!
Ben D
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 01:09:52 PM »

I say it's half-way there. I'm in the process of working on my own so hopefully this can help you.

Some examples of excellent landing pages:

https://dead-cells.com/
http://www.broforcegame.com/
http://www.towerfall-game.com/

A few things to change:
  • No need for socials to be at the top like that. Put them at the side like borforce
  • Change the layout to make it divided into sections, game logo, trailer, images, call to action (subscribe or wishlist on steam), then more about the game.
  • The top logo should look exciting and clearly show what the game is about.
  • Need some sort of background image
  • Just look at the examples given and compare them

One note: I feel like the game ui doesn't match the game style. It's neon, sharp corners, like it's a sci-fi game.

I'm an indie game developer in Toronto Canada working on my first desktop title. Previously I used to run an online flash game studio.
iamoneabe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 01:09:36 AM »

What they said. It's distracting with animations and short gif animations of gameplay is just redundant if you have a trailer. Have the trailer present parts of gameplay divided with punchlines. Have something game specific and captive on the site - a more detailed description of the hero, monsters, environment and so on. The site is for you to get people invested/interested in the game - a community magnet, if you will. Also, when describing a game, try to avoid comparing it. "X like or or Xish" sounds like  I'd be safer trying X. If you can't separate it from other games in your elevator pitch, it's not unique enough.

SEEDY
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 09:58:19 AM »

Im a website designer with a portfolio of around 400 sites. I would say its pretty decent for what it is. I like that its mobile friendly as well. I agree with a previous poster though that there are probably too many animated gifs. Maybe add a page with screenshots and gifs there.

LINX BATTLE ARENA - Fast Paced third Person Shooter in EA On Steam right now!
Nazgum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 09:39:29 PM »

Nice job =)

I would recommend moving the email subscribe block to the bottom, and then to make your first text block which explains what the game is be much more prominent.  The feature blocks and gifs are nice tho =)

Cheers,

A Bit Awake - 2P indie studio from Toronto, Canada, working on Helms of Fury!
zizulot
Level 0

ZIZ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 12:34:10 AM »

I like it =) , a lot actually, kepp it up mate =)
truewarrior
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 11:55:54 PM »

The design is nice. But when I scroll down all the gif and video keep moving that make the site busy and chaotic. It would be great if there are some still and some in motion.

Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll _ Shigeru Miyamoto
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic