Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:49:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallPartner/Group to do a game design course
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Partner/Group to do a game design course  (Read 292 times)
hugolnx
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2017, 02:52:28 AM »

Hi, guys! I started to study Game Design 2 months ago, last week I finished the introdutory coursera course and now I'm looking for a course focused on game mechanics. How to balance a game, think about pacing, flow, etc.

> The course
I found a great course that covers exactly what I want to study now: https://goo.gl/uzLfy6

> The course: Subjects overview
The course talks about pacing, balace, flow, game development process and a little bit about narrative. Also, we develop a boardgame or cardgame during the course using the concepts presented.

> The course: How it works
This course happened 8 years ago. The teacher wrote on this blog to the students twice a week, with an explanation about the subject and giving reading references and exercises to the students. I already read three blog posts and the material is great.

> Who am I and what are my goals
I work as programmer since 2008, so I have a lot of programming experience, especially with web development. On the other hand, I do not know much about design, thats why I'm studying.

My goal is to understand the game design theory core concepts and apply them on the development of 3 small digital games and one a little more elaborated.

I believe that having someone to do it with me, we will learn much more with the discussions and sharing knowledge.

> The plan
I will read one post per week and study the week subject through the blog and another sources too.

The course have 20 weeks of duration, but I will make 3 pauses of two weeks to develop three small games (Game jams). As I pretend to start the course next week, I will start August 14th and end twenty six weeks later, on February 11th.

At the end of this twenty six weeks, I will develop a forth game during my vacations using what I will learn on the course.

Complete plan: https://pastebin.com/raw/yqJqfsm1

> Who I am looking for
I need someone that follow that plan and preferably have availability at the weekend for a quick skypecall so we can discuss what we learned.

PS.: I will dedicate 4 hours a day for the course during the week.

Someone is interested?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic