Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:15:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Devs working on retina screens
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Devs working on retina screens  (Read 1580 times)
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2017, 07:40:29 PM »

Hey y'all so uh I got a question and that question is how is it to work with pixel art and play pixel art type games lowres games on Apple Retina (TM) displays? They look trash to me how do I know my art making will stil lb good?

Thank u

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »

i have a 4k 13 inch lap top and you might not know this but computers can make images larger so every thing is the regular size
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:40:55 PM »

Yeah but retina makes all shit blurry af to me.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 01:05:22 AM »

Yeah but retina makes all shit blurry af to me.
then the setup is wrong. i have the pc style of computer and it looks normal
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:34:22 AM »

fucker i use retina all the damn ass time just fucking 2x your fucking art in photoshop with nearest neighbor. done

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 01:56:24 AM »

shit man, shit
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 02:12:58 AM »

Most engines and graphic libraries have a way to upscale renders with a nearest neighbour algorithm, which means you'll keep the crispness of your pixel art. Please post what engine or library you're using so we can assist you further.

Also, this is in the wrong board, I'm moving it to technical.

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 02:30:21 AM »

I'm talking about rendering pixel art at it's native 1:1 resolution, it's not crisp cause you physically can't see the pixels it's basically blurred. Yes upscaling will make it crisper but I'm not interested in developing a game with 2x or 3x or so on resolutions.

muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 03:12:58 AM »

Do you mean it gets blurred when you zoom in (not scale) art from your graphics program?

if so I don't think this has anything to do with your type of display.

which art program?
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 03:16:21 AM »

I'm talking about rendering pixel art at it's native 1:1 resolution, it's not crisp cause you physically can't see the pixels it's basically blurred. Yes upscaling will make it crisper but I'm not interested in developing a game with 2x or 3x or so on resolutions.

well that's the solution buddy

powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 03:31:57 AM »

Do you mean it gets blurred when you zoom in (not scale) art from your graphics program?

which art program?
No, he explicitly stated that this happens without any scaling, it's just a pixel density problem. No workarounds available, scale it or get a lower res screen.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 03:39:09 AM »

pixel art at 1:1 on a modern screen/resolution (unless you're planning on changing the resolution) is way too small anyway unless you're planning to draw really hi-res pixel art (and if you're OK with turning the resolution down you might as well upscale, no difference)

what's your intent?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 03:51:22 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 05:29:45 AM »

which art program?
No, he explicitly stated that this happens without any scaling, it's just a pixel density problem. No workarounds available, scale it or get a lower res screen.

I read that, I meant zooming in, not scaling. The difference between scaling an image, and ctrl+/mousewheel to "look closer".

I wrote that because some image programs definitely interpolate images when zooming in. Sometimes it can be disabled in the program's display options.

I do low res pixel art on a reasonably HD display (1440p) and have no problem with blur, which is why I suspect they're using art software that blurs pixels when zooming in (again not scaling).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:38:06 AM by muki » Logged
powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 06:14:56 AM »

I read that, I meant zooming in, not scaling.
For 2D graphics these are the exact same operation???
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 06:21:29 AM »

I read that, I meant zooming in, not scaling.
For 2D graphics these are the exact same operation???

zoom in/out and image rescale are not at all the same operation in graphics programs. zoom in allows you to look at your image closer, but doesn't change the data. rescale enlarges the image by changing the data.

in most software, rescaling (changing the data) gives you interpolation options, nearest neighbor, bicubic, bilinear, etc. but if you're simply zooming in on the image (not changing the data), some programs interpolate/blur what you see as you zoom in and it's sometimes necessary to turn it off in the options if you're working on pixel art.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 07:00:11 AM »

That's not it, muki. It's the pixel density that powly mentioned. I have a retina screen right here and the pixel art icons here on TIGS for example look a bit anti-aliased because of it.

muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 07:23:56 AM »

That's not it, muki. It's the pixel density that powly mentioned. I have a retina screen right here and the pixel art icons here on TIGS for example look a bit anti-aliased because of it.

I don't know anything about macs. But on PCs, if you set the resolution to anything lower than the display native, pixels will be blurry as well. The display hardware/drivers will interpolate it back up to native res in theory.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 07:59:34 AM »

Yeah, that's true, I'm cramming in the highest resolution I can.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 08:29:01 AM »

I'm talking about rendering pixel art at it's native 1:1 resolution, it's not crisp cause you physically can't see the pixels it's basically blurred.

That doesn't sound right. Native-sized pixels on my retina display are perfectly crisp, just tiny. In some cases though (for example, a webpage that doesn't provide @2x sizes), images will be upscaled by default with something other than nearest neighbor interpolation. Maybe this is what you're seeing? Retina-unaware applications usually use nearest neighbor for the entire thing, which looks noticeably more jagged than the same thing rendered on a non-retina display. If your window's title bar isn't pixely but your pixels aren't tiny, you're probably getting interpolated scaling.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 08:36:07 AM »

That's what I meant, but I realise now "pixel density" isn't the right term, sorry for the confusion. x: You're right about the interpolation. I mostly see this in a browser.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic